• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The stand

jiggy

kickbox
im trying to decide whether to read this next but as its so long im not sure what u think of it?

you could go to a second hand book store and try to find the original version, instead of the new extended version. its supoused to be the same plot characters etc... and its not that big, just about 600 houndred pages, thats the one i read and enjoyed a lot, later find out about the new version, but dessisted of buying it since its supoused to be the same, "only extended"

I'm not a great fan of Stephen King - but I really liked The Stand. I've read it a couple of times. It's a great morality tale, but he kills off a couple of the heroes at odd times in the book - it really jars when you are so wrapped up in a character (I'm not saying who is killed-off!!)

I read The Stand a few years back and loved it. I read the extended version but you wouldn't miss out reading the abridged. Give it a shot! :D

Waste of paper, in my opinion. I loved all of his previous books right up until it. When they said that the Black Tower series could be compared to The Stand, I refused to pick up a single volume (now numbering 7).

I didn't find the characters believable. They reacted to the concept of total aloneness in ways that I didn't think would probably happen. And the whole "there's a reason for it that everyone is being drawn toward" didn't feel logical, if the current earth was being used as a model. Just ick. But many people I know thought it was his best, so it's better to trust your own judgment on it. I agree that you should read the original. Pick one up in the library and look for a 1980's copyright.

I don't really like Stephen King but apart from that I want to ask if you are getting jiggy with it?

I like Stephen King. For one thing, you never know what he is going to come up with next. The Stand to me was just a battle between good and evil. I like it more so than some of his other works.

I read The Stand earlier this year, the extended version, and I loved it. It was so involving and in-depth... I was totally engrossed in it. Also, the ideas, the thought of what the world/country would be live if something like that really happened - having to start everything from scratch again.

Brilliant book, imho - give it a go!

going to read it after ive finished stone of farewell by Tad Williams. only thing is its so long its untrue! the stand that is.

I haven't read it either, but every 'great horror story' list I've ever read has included this book. Tell me what you think.

I think it's a fantastic book! I own (and have read) the regular and unabridged versions. Snapping fast read!

It's definitely one of his best books! It's so wonderful! I read the extended one and I really went through it quickly. I couldn't put it down! I hope you enjoy it! My boyfriend wasn't a big reader at the time and I suggested he read it. "Don't let the size intimidate you!". He finished it just as fast as I did and loved it.

The Dark Tower series is even better (in my opinion, of course). :p

Yes, The Dark Tower series is fantastic! One of the reasons this may be so is because we've had to wait over 20 years from go to whoa! I, for one, was having withdrawals!

King himself has said that most of his fans consider The Stand to be his best work, which he said was disheartening, since it was written almost 30 years ago. I feel it and The Dark Tower series are his best.

Any other Books like the Stand as good?

I read The Stand many years ago and its still one of my favorites.
Ive also read Mcammons Swan Song, also a excellent book.
Any others like these two as good?

Sawan's Song was great! I have that as well as quite a few other McCammons. I founf him many years ago. Blue World is good.

Back