• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The state of play. Jul-Dec '04

Status
Not open for further replies.
*puts on official hat*

I have closed the current Jul-Dec '04 thread as it wasn't getting very far (though there were some very good suggestions made).

The current July book is 'A Suitable Boy.' However, August is just around the corner, and we don't have a book lined up.

In hindsight, it's probably easier to take the book club one month at a time. August is awkward at this current moment in time. You have a choice- either carry on reading 'A suitable boy' for a month (War and Peace got 2 months after all), or nominate a short book that can be read quickly in time for August. If a general consensus isn't reached by the 23rd, I'll put it to the vote.

September nominations will be heard in early August.

Why not just move the thread? It seems a bit pointless to close one thread only to open another that's basically the same, no?

Kaz said:
What about Breakast at Tiffany by Al Capone?
:D
Is that the version where Holly Golightly is running Moonshine for the mob? Excellent story. I'll vote for that one too.

Litany said:
:D
Is that the version where Holly Golightly is running Moonshine for the mob? Excellent story. I'll vote for that one too.

My misake is wrong name!! It is Truman Captone!! Sorry. But it's right story.

lies said:
Why not just move the thread? It seems a bit pointless to close one thread only to open another that's basically the same, no?

I posted some suggestions in there - I won't bother to repost them as they obviously weren't deemed interesting enough to keep the thread open. Will keep opinions to self in future.

:(

(sorry - having a bad day)

The problem is trying to find a way to decide on each book when everyone has a diverse range of likes and dislikes. Suggestions can get lost in a long thread and it's hard to choose each book.

One solution would be to create a subforum here for suggestions - each month would be a thread where suggestions can be made. There could then be a vote a few months in advance. What do you think?

We need to decide on something for August (quickly!).

Options (based on the two threads):-

Keep the current book for another month - it's a long book!
Paul Coelho - The Alchemist
Ulysses by James Joyce
All Quiet on the Western Front
Don Quixote
Jessica by Bryce Courtney
Pegasus Bridge by Stephen Ambrose
Garth Nix - Sabriel
Clement davis "fire bringer" or "the sight"
Jonathan Straud's "Amulet of Smarkand"
S.L. Farrell's "holder of lightning"
Isabel Allende's "City of the Beasts"
Jeremy Grabowski's Crazy Summer In Stormville!
Millenium People by JG Ballard
Breakast at Tiffany by Truman Captone

I vote for keeping the current book, A Suitable Boy, through August and choose something new for September.

I prefer to change book for August. Love to read Breakfast at Tiffany. Just wait and see what happens.

Well, we'll have to decide pretty soon. There are two votes for Breakfast at Tiffany's

What do people think about my idea of a subforum for suggestions and votes? It's the only way I can think of to sort out this last minute scramble.

I wasn't voting for Breakfast at Tiffany's, just correcting the title of the book and name of the author, since someone searching for "truman captone" on Amazon probably wouldn't come up with many results, although now I just looked it up on Amazon and all of Capote's works show up, so I needn't have been concerned. :p

It needs to be something short and easy, and that way it doesn't matter if people are still reading A Suitable Boy. Everyone who didn't join in for that gets a book to read, and people still reading it get a chance to finish it off and still have time to read the next book and people like me that did manage to finish it get to reawaken their brains with a short bubblegum read.

I think Breakfast at Tiffany's might be on that 4 for £10 offer at Ottakars.

And on the subforum, I think it's a good idea, in which you can post poll's and stuff like that.

Cheers

To keep things simple, I think we'll continue with "A Suitable Boy" for August. It will also give people a break to catch up if they want.

I've moved this thread and the old one into a new "suggestions and voting" sub-forum.

The idea is that each month has two threads - one for suggestions and one for voting. To give people a chance to plan ahead we need to choose the books in advance - at least one month. This won't be practical for September, but hopefully from October onwards it'll work.

Suggestions: closing date two months before.

Voting: closing date one month before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back