1. Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Syria Issue: Your Personal Stance Is Much Appreciated

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dima, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Conscious Bob

Conscious Bob Well-Known Member

Currently Reading:
    Barry Lyndon by William Thackeray
    With all due respect military intervention will make things far worse than they are now especially when there are individuals on the rebel side like Abu Sakkar.

2. Dima

Dima Member

Thanks Sparkcahser. It's good to be back :) I'm doing quiet good, hope you're fine as well.
    I agree, the U.S should have intervened much earlier, things wouldn't have escalated and turned into a turmoil if someone had stepped in. The question now is,following such horrific massacre, what would be wisest? to stay out and let the regime commit yet another large-scale atrocity?
    As per the Arab Spring, I would like to honestly say that it has been a huge disappointment. To have Islamists emerge victorious is one thing,but to go back to a military rule with an uncalled-fore coup is beyond me, in reference to Egypt that is.

3. Dima

Dima Member

Abu Sakkar is an individual case, you said ti yourself. I'm not trying to defend such actions, he's a beast but that does not mean he represents the opposition. The current regime is just as bad, there are many videos out there that display similar violations committed by pro-regime militias. To look at things with one eye is pure selective humanitarianism. We have facts, a fascist government killing its own people. Just because we're not certain what kind of entity would be in charge following the regime's downfall, does not mean the international community stands idly while the government continues to slaughter innocent people and level entire cities.

4. Meadow337

Meadow337 Former Moderator

Some food for thought:

Iran warns western intervention will spark a wider conflict:

http://www.latimes.com/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-iran-syria-strikes-warning-20130829,0,5168189.story

A convincing argument that it was not Assad that used the chemical weapons:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...syrian-rebels-not-assad-used-chemical-weapons

Further questions about who did what, who encouraged what, and what the consequences might be:

http://news.sky.com/story/1134206/syria-vote-will-not-permit-uk-military-action

Background on the conflict:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_civil_war

With questions like this hanging in the balance, what is to be lost by waiting and ascertaining the facts? Let the UN inspectors finish their inspection first. Bombs can't exactly be recalled once they have dropped. Talks and negotiation however can take place at any time, restarted, stopped, redirected etc.

Another reasoned view on why military action at this point is stupid:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/29/syria-more-courage-to-say-nothing-can-do

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  5. Conscious Bob

Conscious Bob Well-Known Member

Currently Reading:
    Barry Lyndon by William Thackeray
    I'm not saying Abu Sakkar represents the opposition but I think it's disingenuous to apply black/white values to both sides.

6. Meadow337

They have been doing that for the last ten years, and certainly more in the last 3 - 4 years. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' side in this. Both sides are guilty of atrocities. Argh no point in dscussing - the loonies on all sides will more than likely have their day AGAIN. We can only hope the world doesn't go to hell in a handbasket when they do.

7. SFG75

SFG75 Well-Known Member

Currently Reading:
    The Road to Character; David Brooks
    As Elmer Fudd would say... Verrrweee Interwesting......

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-08-29-17-43-07

8. Meadow337

I saw those reports this morning when I checked the news - thank goodness there is still some sanity in the world somewhere. Faintly restores my belief in politicians - faintly, very faintly - because this is far from over.

9. sparkchaser

sparkchaser Administrator and Stuntman Staff Member

Currently Reading:
    between the lines
    Admin Post
    I don't disagree with this.

Ideally, instead of the U.S., your neighboring nations would come in and lay the smackdown on the government for gassing its own people but sadly none of your neighbors are really in a position to do anything.

10. Meadow337

That is assuming it IS the government doing it. As far as I can see the jury is still out on that one.

11. sparkchaser

Currently Reading:
    between the lines
    Admin Post
  12. Meadow337

Who benefits is a good question to ask

13. sparkchaser

Currently Reading:
    between the lines
    Admin Post
    The opposition stands to benefit the most I guess but that raises a whole new set of questions.

14. Meadow337

And that would be one of the core issues with a knee-jerk reaction, but just in case any one is deluded into thinking the USA's interest in intervening is humanitarian:

So just rule out any consideration for what is best for the people of Syria.

15. sparkchaser

Currently Reading:
    between the lines
    Admin Post
    Of course the U.S. is going to do what is in its best interest.

16. Meadow337

Sigh clearly I am far too idealistic. I think that things like what's right should take precedence over self-interest.

17. sparkchaser

Currently Reading:
    between the lines
    Admin Post
    I don't disagree.

18. Brent W

Brent W Active Member

Currently Reading:
    Mortality by Christopher Hitchens
    100k had already been killed over 2 1/2 years. We aren't running into Syria because they don't really have anything we need. We don't actually care about human rights issues over there as a Government.

Meadow337 likes this.
  19. 753C

753C Active Member

Currently Reading:
    Let Me Be Frank With You - Richard Ford
    Brent, that is cynical and pessimistic.... and completely true.
    I talked to a guy today from the U.S. who works as a security advisor directly with Israeli police in Tel Aviv. He said that the time for the U.S. to intervene would have been two years ago when the opposition forces weren't saturated with Al Qaeda elements. Now? Who knows what will happen after an intervention.

20. SFG75

SFG75 Well-Known Member

Currently Reading:
    The Road to Character; David Brooks
    Prediction:

U.S. ships launch tomahawk cruise missiles into key military sites. If one gets shot down, it's not like losing a pilot and risking a larger conflict. Obama will then declare that "something" has been done and that freedom has "won."

Why do I think I'm "on" on this? Obama doesn't have the stomach for a land war and if he did, the House would impeach him as more than a few people are looking for a reason....any reason to destroy the man.