• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Top 100 Movies Of All Time Based On Critics' Polls

Kino Kino

Lots of overrated movies in my opinion.

Out of those I would recommend the following:
  • The Seven Samurai
  • "Godfathers"
  • Rashomon
  • Andrei Rublev
  • Blade Runner
  • Stalker

The following aren't too bad either: Jules and Jim, Taxi Driver, Psycho, Persona, Chinatown, M, Barry Lyndon, The 400 Blows.

I'm surprised to see "North by Northwest" at number 50. I would have thought that this was considered one of Hitchcock's worst.

I liked Blade Runner but wouldn't have thought it to be in the top 100.

I've seen some of these movies. Some good, some bad. It's the critics choice....

Our local critic hates everything that isn't foreign. He's annoying.

Good to see Last Year in Marienbad there.

It's a good list although I've not seen every film listed there.

It's good to see a list compiled from multiple response over time from those actually involved in the industry as opposed to the general public who would probably vote in 100 popcorn flicks which will have been forgotten by 2010

Haven't seen a lot of those movies and I guess a lot of them are hard to get. I usually use the IMDB top 100 to look at, but I don't really give a lot of credit to a list that has all three lord of the rings movies on it..

Judging from this list I would have to say that it seems that there has been no really great movies since 1988..

There hasn't. Lord of the Rings was an exercise in cash. It's a dull and obvious story. And now the fantasy clique can jump on me!

The reason I think that a lot of foreign films are on the list (e.g. The Bicycle Thieves) is that they told good stories that people can relate to even years later. Some, of course, used special effects (case in point being Fritz Lang's Metropolis) but most were simply just good scripts.

Modern films find it harder to find a niche in the classic category because they are typically churned out for a specific period. The older Disney films, for example, will always be regarded as classics (Peter Pan, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, Sleeping Beauty, and Pinnochio) but the more recent ones (e.g. Finding Nemo) won't survive in the memory as there is too much reference to pop culture within them - the stoner/surfer turtle, for example, overrusing the word 'dude'.

These phrases will come and go and popular films will do the same with the times. The classics listed here may age but they rarely pander to the time in which they were created and, as such, can expect to live forever in the mind.

Not sure I would say that there hasn't been made any great movies since, but I don't know if they deserve to be on the list, as I haven't seen very many of them.
Guess a lot of it has to do with the fact that movies now reach a very big audience and taking chances trying to make a great film is just to expensive. The power of the people who like movies like The Day after Tomorrow and don't really care about obvious mistakes or story and is all in it for the effects, are fairly dominant, or at least Hollywood think they are. :(

The new "Hollywood" that's being funded in Korea for an Asian cinema production line could be an interesting prospect for the future. It'll probably go turd though.

i don't know. have you actually watched any of these disney classics lately. we turned off peter pan because of how the natives were being portrayed. you may think i am being too pc, but my son will go to a school that is 75% native kids and i don't want the shit beat out of him, cause he's walking around talking like the natives on peter pan. there was another disney classic that has white guys done up with black face doing the mammy routines.
that list didn't put one movie on it that was made in the past 20 years, well one from 88. but like any list it's all subject to taste. my list would probably be laughable to some and others would agree whole heartedly.

jenngorham said:
we turned off peter pan because of how the natives were being portrayed. you may think i am being too pc, but my son will go to a school that is 75% native kids
I would say that when he goes to a school with that many natives he is probably pretty safe from harm, he will probably know that the image he gets from the movie doesn't fit. I would have thought more about it if he didn't know any natives.

Stewart said:
Lord of the Rings was an exercise in cash. It's a dull and obvious story. And now the fantasy clique can jump on me!

I have to disagree with this. I don't believe it was an exercise in cash - I think Peter Jackson genuinely cared about making decent films of the book, and I think he did an excellent job with what is a difficult book. As he said, it's only now that the technology exists to film LOTR and not make it look pathetic. The fact that the films made a hell of a lot of cash is because LOTR fans and many critics thought they were excellent. As for "it's a dull and obvious story", well, that depends on your opinion of the fantasy genre in general and Tolkien in particular.

Edit: regarding the Top 100 films, I have heard of most of them, but have only seen about seven of them. Most are not the kind of films I like.

Halo said:
I don't believe it was an exercise in cash - I think Peter Jackson genuinely cared about making decent films of the book

Peter Jackson may have. He didn't, however, stump up the cash to make the movies.

Geenh said:
I liked Blade Runner but wouldn't have thought it to be in the top 100.
I think it's good that action films with cheesy one liners at least are represented.

I think that some of the movies on that list are on it because they were innovative at their time rather than being movies that withstand time. I haven't seen it yet but from what I've heard "The Birth of a Nation" isn't such a great story but Griffith was a pioneer when it came to editing. And if Hitchcock's popcorn flicks had came out today they probably wouldn't have been praised as much.

hay82 said:
I would say that when he goes to a school with that many natives he is probably pretty safe from harm, he will probably know that the image he gets from the movie doesn't fit. I would have thought more about it if he didn't know any natives.

well. he's 4. ;)

Stewart said:
Yes, I think you are being ridiculous in this respect.

well to each his own. i try to make movie choices for my children that represent people in a more enlightened and politically correct manner. many of the older disney movies, just due to their age and the society they were entertaining at that time, do not reflect how i want my kids to see minorities and women.

Stewart said:
Peter Jackson may have. He didn't, however, stump up the cash to make the movies.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. I'm taking it as meaning that the film studios only stumped up the cash to film LOTR because they thought it would make a lot of money. But aren't all studio execs in it for the money? They're not going to finance something they don't think will make money. I have heard that New Line took a hell of a risk, because LOTR was previously seen as unfilmable, and Jackson was not that well known a director. However, they must have known that if LOTR was done correctly, it would make tons of money from all the fantasy and Tolkien fans who had been waiting decades to see the story in film. If this is not what you meant, sorry!

Back