• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Top 100 Movies Of All Time Based On Critics' Polls

I've seen at least 67 of the first 100 and 10 of the additional 20.

I can see why these particular movies are there, even though for today's audiences they might not seem to hold much interest (unless you're into film technique, how stories are told through film, and film history).

Many of them have a parable element. Many of breakthrough editing techniques, interesting film styles. Many have a psychological element that rises to the surface or some form of social commentary that's not heavy-handed. Wolhay is on the money re Blade Runner--it was breakthrough science fiction filmmaking at the time.

Many films on this list blew me away the first time I saw them.

It's a bit of a snob's list, though. Very high minded.

For instance, Die Hard had a huge impact on many many films for years, but they were brainless blockbusters, so you don't see Die Hard here.

Also, the movies of Bruce Lee influenced everyone doing action or martial arts or loads of other types of films, but the list seems to neglect Asian influence --barring Kurosawa--and action altogether (though so many people like to watch action films).

And there are none of the breakthrough filmmakers of the late 20th century, like David Lynch, John Waters. Including Scorsese just bolsters the Eurocentric dense-psychological-realism thing.

novella said:
I've seen at least 67 of the first 100 and 10 of the additional 20.

I can see why these particular movies are there, even though for today's audiences they might not seem to hold much interest (unless you're into film technique, how stories are told through film, and film history).

Many of them have a parable element. Many of breakthrough editing techniques, interesting film styles. Many have a psychological element that rises to the surface or some form of social commentary that's not heavy-handed. Wolhay is on the money re Blade Runner--it was breakthrough science fiction filmmaking at the time.

Many films on this list blew me away the first time I saw them.

It's a bit of a snob's list, though. Very high minded.

For instance, Die Hard had a huge impact on many many films for years, but they were brainless blockbusters, so you don't see Die Hard here.

Also, the movies of Bruce Lee influenced everyone doing action or martial arts or loads of other types of films, but the list seems to neglect Asian influence --barring Kurosawa--and action altogether (though so many people like to watch action films).

And there are none of the breakthrough filmmakers of the late 20th century, like David Lynch, John Waters. Including Scorsese just bolsters the Eurocentric dense-psychological-realism thing.

thank you. well said.

muggle said:
I much prefer the list of 100 greatest films that was compiled by The American Film Institute. In my opinion it is far superior in its selection.

The list at the start was of all time. The list you quoted is only American movies - it does not compare. The original list is superior.

Stewart said:
The list at the start was of all time. The list you quoted is only American movies - it does not compare. The original list is superior.

but WHY is it superior? why? because the first list is"of all time"?

I would think that a list of only american movies, leave out a lot of great movies, and therefor it would be inferior to a top 100 of all movies.

oh. ok, well yes that makes an enormous amount of sense. common sense. i'm going to leave this thread and go back to studying my dictionary.

Wow... I've seen 1 of those movies. Thought it might have been 2, but unfortunately it wasn't the same Metropolis that I've seen. :(

I have two kinds of favourite movies: movies I thoroughly enjoyed and could watch over and over again and movies I loved because I thought they were really good, though not exactly something you'd want to watch again and again. They overlap sometimes, but not always.

lies said:
I have two kinds of favourite movies: movies I thoroughly enjoyed and could watch over and over again and movies I loved because I thought they were really good, though not exactly something you'd want to watch again and again. They overlap sometimes, but not always.

Ermm, what is your point, Lies?

and Bobby, I don't know whether I should just ignore you :( or simply kick your ass. :p

wow yeah i had to read that a few times. i think i get what lies is saying. for example i loved schindler's list. i thought it was beautiful and well done, and wonderfully acted, but it is not a movie i can watch over and over. the little girl with the red jacket, all of it. i just can't cope.
but i watch shawshank redemption every time it is on bravo. i have seen it countless times and it never is dull for me.
it's the overlapping thing i don't get.

watercrystal said:
Ermm, what is your point, Lies?
My point is just that: that I have two kinds of "favourites".

Example: I loved Das Kabinett des Doktor Caligari, but I don't really feel the need to own it, because I don't think I'd watch it a lot. On the other hand, I own The Three Musketeers, because I enjoy watching it, thought I know it's not a great movie. Sometimes I love movies and enjoy watching them, like Much Ado About Nothing or whatever.

Back