• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The top 5 stolen books

I actually told my mom I was cheating when I was younger and she asked how and I told her I kept the answers in my head and read out of that to answer....mind you I'm mildly autistic and actually DID think I was doing something bad because I could see the material in my head.

You are amazing! Good for you. Keep on.

So you walk into B&N with an empty backpack and walk out with a full one? Really, how do they do get them out? Stuff them down the front of their pants? Fake a pregnant belly? Just wondering ....
I think the problem is that there a lot of students that go there and study. We're not watching/keeping tabs on everyone with a backpack, which is a shame. Sometimes though, we do catch people with a big bag who seem a little suspicious and we'll ask them to check their bag at the front counter.

I think the problem is that there a lot of students that go there and study. We're not watching/keeping tabs on everyone with a backpack, which is a shame. Sometimes though, we do catch people with a big bag who seem a little suspicious and we'll ask them to check their bag at the front counter.

I wonder how people do that. Study in a bookstore I mean...I tried once...I ended up reading instead.

Libra, you work at B&N? Can I use your discount? :D
This past Dec. marked my 7 years as a BN employee. :sigh:
I'd give everyone my discount if I could but there are so many rules... and the newest I heard this past Dec. was that if you let other people use your discount (like use their credit card with your employee discount #), you can get fired automatically. No one told me that before and man, I'd been letting my boyfriend use my discount.
alliterati said:
I wonder how people do that. Study in a bookstore I mean...I tried once...I ended up reading instead.
I don't know. To be honest, I've grown bored of B&N's selection. I find that I'm more interested in what used bookstores have to offer.
The thing about studying in a public place like that... it's too damn loud and there's not enough room in the cafe area. People are always sitting too close to you or walking by too often.

I could never grow bored probably. Is your bookstore really small or something? Although I don't usually go to B&N but the other big chain, Borders. All of our bookstores are multiple floored and huge.

Seriously. I walk into the B&N here in town and it looks like a giant study hall session. When I was in college I couldn't study with all that noise and action around me; it was too distracting. You'd find me in the library in a corner somewhere or in the engineers study room.

I also don't get how you can study and listen to music at the same time. I mean for homework problems, I can see but for studying for a test? No way.

I can't help but wonder if there is a correlation between major and study location.

I was too lazy to read the whole article but from what I skimmed this list came from some guy walking into a store looking for certain authors, did not appear to have any opinion about any of them and therefore he was looking to steal the most commonly purloined authors. Is that about right? Ok, that's fine. I am not interested in the list's accuracy but where is Steal This Book by Abbie Hoffman? No The Anarchist's Cookbook by William Powell? I mean if you were the type of person seeking out the latter would you want to pay for it? Use your credit card while you're at it.

I could never grow bored probably. Is your bookstore really small or something? Although I don't usually go to B&N but the other big chain, Borders. All of our bookstores are multiple floored and huge.
It's Barnes & Noble sized... which is about the same size as your average Borders. But the thing is, it's the same selection. When you're there everyday, it's the same bestsellers, the same stuff... you realize you skimmed through everything, browsed through everything...
I mean, I don't sit there and read a new book every single day, I personally don't like to sit at a bookstore and do serious reading.

And anyway, I love some good erotica and guess what B&N & Borders DOESN'T have? An erotic section.

I actually heard that the bible is the most frequently stolen book.
From bookstores or motels? (Do they still have Bibles in motels/hotels anymore?)
I don't see why people would want to steal a Bible... you can get 'em for free from certain people/places... and they're tax free in stores too.

From bookstores or motels? (Do they still have Bibles in motels/hotels anymore?)
I don't see why people would want to steal a Bible... you can get 'em for free from certain people/places... and they're tax free in stores too.

I heard from bookstores. I dont know where i heard this though. my best guess is since it is the most sold book that it would kind of make sense to why its the most stolen. pretty ironic though, since you would think that people who read the bible wouldnt be the type of people who would be shoplifting

They do still have bibles in motels/hotels but they are thinking of placing them on the room service menu as to have bibles for all of the religions and not just the christain bible.

I heard from bookstores. I dont know where i heard this though. my best guess is since it is the most sold book that it would kind of make sense to why its the most stolen. pretty ironic though, since you would think that people who read the bible wouldnt be the type of people who would be shoplifting

They do still have bibles in motels/hotels but they are thinking of placing them on the room service menu as to have bibles for all of the religions and not just the christain bible.
Yes, ironic indeed.

And I totally didn't know that about the bible/room service menu. Thanks for that info. Hmmm...

Bill Hicks said:
'This Bible was placed here by a Gideon.' When? I've been here all day and I ain't seen shit! I saw the housekeeper come and go, I saw the minibar guy come and go, I've never laid eyes on a fucking Gideon! What are they, ninjas? Where are they? Where are they from - Gidea? Who the **** are these people?!

I'm gonna capture a Gideon. Yeah, I'm gonna make that my hobby. I'll call up the front desk one day and say, 'Uh, I don't seem to have a Bible in my room...'

wow... i didn't know people steal books. if i was an author and someone wanted to steal my book i would be excited :)

Back