• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The word "****" on a t-shirt - freedom of speech?

Sergo said:
Thanks. It is very pleasant that so many people are interested in our grammar - one of the hardest, according to what I has been told.
Sergo,
Nabokov absolutely loved the way shades of meaning could be conveyed by the merest of different word endings. But I'll agree with your comment about the "hardest", although many a person says English is difficult because it has so few grammatical rules and so many odd spellings. Go figure! :)
Peder

Has the shirt thing been back in the news lately or something?:confused: :confused: I must be missing the boat.

SFG75 said:
Has the shirt thing been back in the news lately or something?:confused: :confused: I must be missing the boat.
SFG,
Not that I know. Perhaps just a dead spell on TBF lately that has driven some of us out of our usual haunts. Me for one. :)
Peder

Peder said:
SFG,
Not that I know. Perhaps just a dead spell on TBF lately that has driven some of us out of our usual haunts. Me for one. :)
Peder

Just curious as to how a pretty much open and shut case can be revived with the best of them.:) Thanks for the answer Peder-with summer coming, it's only inevitable that the more moribound topics come rolling back down the hill....sisyphus not withstanding.

SFG75 said:
with summer coming, it's only inevitable that the more moribound topics come rolling back down the hill....sisyphus not withstanding.
Gonna have to get me a sand-proof laptop for the beach, so as not to miss a single slow moment here. Oy! Don't remind me. :eek:

cajunmama said:
SFG has a good point here. I've seen signs in businesses that state that they reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason at any time.

offcourse you have seen those signs. you are from southern louisianna haha. anyway she is completely withen her rights to wear the shirt. although i believe that it is wrong. i also believe cheating on your wife is wrong but it does not violate any law.

T.Fenske1985 said:
of course you have seen those signs. you are from southern louisianna haha.
I'm afraid that is a gratuitous slur! We have such signs up here in NY as well, for legitimate notice, and not for any other purposes such as you seem to imply. It is pretty much the law of the land as far as I have seen.
Your ha-ha is not well taken,
Peder

The point is a business open to the punlic can not refuse someone for any reason they choose. If they were a private club it would be different. So are you implying the law of the land is that if a particualr business does not want to serve someone because of the color of there skin that is there right??

Sarcasm wil not earn you anything.
Read the post.
Parse the sentences.
Notrice the subjects and verbs.
Put the ideas together.
Do it in ordinary English grammar and you should be able to see what was said.
If you need a lawyer to explain, one will no doubt arrive in a while.
I'm prepared to wait.

there is no doubt my grammar is horrible. is that how you spell notice? please i am not trying to debate you. and i really did not understand what you said i am sorry. sarcasm 'WIL' not earn me anything.

T.Fenske1985 said:
there is no doubt my grammar is horrible. is that how you spell notice? please i am not trying to debate you. and i really did not understand what you said i am sorry. sarcasm 'WIL' not earn me anything.
The subject of the thread is the word "****" on t-shirts, so I don't see the point in continuing an argument about racism that you are trying to create. If you are against racism that is good; so am I. And it is true that I don't spell as well as my spell checker, which I clearly don't always use.

T.Fenske1985 said:
offcourse you have seen those signs. you are from southern louisianna haha. anyway she is completely withen her rights to wear the shirt. although i believe that it is wrong. i also believe cheating on your wife is wrong but it does not violate any law.

Yes, we are from southern Lousiana, and if one would attempt to enter Antoine's restaurant or Brennans, or any reputable restaurant in New Orleans with such a tee shirt one would be refused entrance. There are dress codes here.

And btw, cheating on ones spouse does violate God's Laws.

T.Fenske1985 said:
The point is a business open to the punlic can not refuse someone for any reason they choose.

Absolutely wrong. Of course they can. There are exceptions, as you imply - for example if a business was stupid enough to want to refuse someone entry because of the colour of their skin, then anti-discrimination laws (not to mention bad publicity) would prevent them from doing that. But subject to that sort of thing, any business can refuse entry to anyone for good reason, bad reason, or no reason at all.

Er, I see that you have only made four posts on TBF, T.Fenske. Is it too late to say "Welcome"? Or even, "Shoo-bop"? :eek:

If your in an airport which will no doubt have little children, and wearing a needlessly offensive t-shirt your always taking a risk.

Back