• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

This or That - Relying on your advice...

Concetta

Since the book I am reading right now is ridiculously boring (finishing it for a discussion group), I am determined that the next book I read will be great. I am relying on you, the experts, for advice. I went to the library yesterday and picked up some books by authors I have learned about on this forum and have not read yet.

Neil Gaiman:
Neverwhere OR Anansi Boys OR Good Omens

Sebastian Faulks:
Birdsong OR Charlotte Gray

Margaret Atwood:
Oryx and Crake OR The Blind Assassin

OR whatever...

I need a GUARANTEED good read...

So add your two cents (or pounds or whatever...)

I loved Anansi Boys..couldn't get into Oryx and Crake at all. I know lots of people love it, and all power to them, but it left me shaking my head.

Neil Gaiman:
Neverwhere OR Anansi Boys OR Good Omens

I'd say read them in the following order:
1. Neverwhere
2. Good Omens
3. American Gods
4. Anansi Boys

Anansi Boys is a sequel to American Gods, and while it does stand on its own, you'll probably get more out of it if you've read AG - which is also better than AB.

The Barrytown Trilogy by Roddy Doyle is great for a funny read. The Van and The Snapper are my favorites of the three.. I thought Anansi Boys was better than American Gods..funny how milage varies!
For a great historical fiction read, try Rise to Rebellion by Jeff Shaara.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone - its nice to know you all care ;) :D

Of course, it depends on your definition of 'good read'.

I knew that someone was going to ask me this extremely relevant question...

I like books that are:
  • Long-ish (I love series, when a good book ends I miss it)
  • More about the characters than the setting or the plot (does that even make sense???)
  • Interesting, strange, well-developed characters
  • Not depressing / hopeless

Some examples of recent reads that I liked:
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - Long, great characterers, so much going on, loved the style of writing, the way she lingered

Middlesex - long-ish, strange and interesting characters, loved the epic-ness of it - the story throughout generations of the characters' lives (although I didn't like the "neat" ending)

The Crimson Petal and the White - long, great characters, the best first page in a novel ever

Of the ones you've listed I've read Birdsong and Anansi Boys and enjoyed both of them. If I had to choose just one it generally it would be Birdsong. This is longish moves around in time and has some interesting central characters. However ifyou're a big sci-fi, fantasy, alternative reality reader I'd go for Anansi Boys which is also very funny in palces.

Thanks everyone...

Of the ones you've listed I've read Birdsong and Anansi Boys and enjoyed both of them. If I had to choose just one it generally it would be Birdsong. This is longish moves around in time and has some interesting central characters. However ifyou're a big sci-fi, fantasy, alternative reality reader I'd go for Anansi Boys which is also very funny in palces.

I don't normally go for sci-fi, fantasy books, but I have to say that I really enjoyes Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell so I am now open to that.

eyez0nme; said:
The Girl Next Door

I found a few books by that name, which do you mean?

abecedarian said:
The Barrytown Trilogy by Roddy Doyle is great for a funny read. The Van and The Snapper are my favorites of the three.. I thought Anansi Boys was better than American Gods..funny how milage varies!
For a great historical fiction read, try Rise to Rebellion by Jeff Shaara.

ABCD, you are the second person to recommend that Trilogy to me, perhaps I will check it out. I do like historical fiction, and will take a look at Rise..., too.

Stewart, I've read Owen Meany and loved it - Cider House Rules sits on my shelf to be read. Yates and Ishiguro are also on "my list" - although I was leaning towards Never Let Me Go or When We Were Orphans.

Beer Good and ions, thanks, too...

Have you considered A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth?

Yes. In fact, I had picked it up after having read Beneath a Marble Sky (John Shors) back in May and put it back down because I decided to read The Crimson Petal and the White.

Thanks, Stewart, I had forgetten about that book.

As an aside, are you aware of The Apple: New Crimson Petal Stories which came out this month? It's a small hardback with seven short stories based around characters from the novel before and after it was set.

As an aside, are you aware of The Apple: New Crimson Petal Stories which came out this month? It's a small hardback with seven short stories based around characters from the novel before and after it was set.

Yes - I saw that somewhere (maybe in another post of yours). I am not a fan of the short story but am considering this because I did absolutly fall in love with those characters and would love to visit with them again.

Well, unless you really really need to: don't. :)

Caught the review this morning - off the list already...

Ended up reading "Neverwhere" (Gaiman) and loved it. Right now I am reading David Sedaris' "Naked" because "my sister made me" - its entertaining - the jury is still out...

Back