• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Thomas Cahill's latest

Writer44

Has anyone read Thomas Cahill's latest historical tome? Just finishing it now. I liked the How The Irish Saved Civilization better.

Has anyone read Thomas Cahill's latest historical tome? Just finishing it now. I liked the How The Irish Saved Civilization better.

I also toke great pleasure from-How The Irish Saved Civilization-Specialy the introduction,very funny,about the apparent paradox of the title.
It was also very informative about places in France where Irish monks settled and built those monastery"copy-book-factories"
Could you give a insite of the "latest historical tome"??

I don't know his new book, but I have enjoyed several of Cahill's works. The best for me was Sailing the Wine Dark Sea, about Greece. It is about the history and development of the ancient Greeks, with good chapters on the early science and on the art.

Cahill's latest is about the mysteries of the middle ages. These aren't mysteries so much as how individuals persons became akin to "superstars" (for lack of a more eloquent term on my sad part). These people of course affected history.

My criticism is only that there are two many excerpts from other texts. While they lend authenticity and credibility, I want to hear it from the Cahill, preferably in English.

Still, the book is highly informative and is a much more flavorful look at the history of the middle ages as opposed to this king fought that one, this guy died and she buried his body over there.

Sorry, not a very articulate review.

Back