• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Thread necromancy...good or bad here?

Bob Magness

I’m still trying to get a feel for the way this place works. I have participated in a couple message boards over the years and even moderated for a time at a fairly sizeable one. At all of those boards thread necromancy was frowned upon. They didn’t want you resurrecting old threads. In general, if the thread hadn’t been posted in for over 6 months it was worth you starting a new thread.

But the nature of this board would suggest thread necromancy is not a bad thing. It may even be a positive thing. After all, the content of a particular book isn’t likely to change over the years.

The reason I am bringing this up is I just finished a book and wanted to discuss it a bit here. I did a search and found a thread dedicated to this particular book with about a dozen posts in it. But the last post in it was made about 2 years ago. Is it better to start a new thread or is it better to keep the discussion within that one thread, even if there is a two year gap between my post and the previous one?

What is the common practice here at BAR?

Generally speaking, thread necromancy (great phrase btw) is very much encouraged here. :) Like you say, it's the same book, and there's no sense in reinventing the wheel. Of course, message boards being what they are, there's no guarantee that you'll get responses from the exact same people who wrote in the thread 2 years ago, but it's nice to have everything in the same place - plus, other people who have joined the board (or read the book) since then but might not have known there was a thread for it get to join in.

Digging up the dead is a surefire way to bring it back into the view, so go for it. If you were to create a new thread, I'd just merge it anyway.

You know why this is happening - it's some PHP script/plug-in or such that's running (recently I think) that points one to 'similar threads' at the bottom of the page... someone just opened one from like 2004. Respect to the dark art of the Necromancer for sure.

Back