• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

To start things off: Favorite books

As a youngun I just adored Judy Blume books. Oh, I thought Wifey was soooo risque! And VC Andrews' books were readily traded among us junior highers :D. I also remember reading most of the Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew and Boppsie Twins books.
The Narnia Chronicles are at the top of my list for best loved books:) Joni by Joni by Joni Erickson(spelled right?) was another well loved book.
As to Little Women, I still love pulling it out and rereading it just for fun.

There is one book I would love to get another copy of for my daughter. It was called " The Girl Next Door". I think it was written in the late 30's or early 40's. I don't remember the author. It was about a girl that had had polio and her confinement and eventual recovery. And interspersed between the chapters were neat little hygiene tips. I LOVED that book!

my long list:

the little white horse
linnets and valerians
the chronicles of narnia
little house series
white boots and ballet shoes by noel streatfeild
the story girl by L.M. Montgomery
anne of green gables series
emily of new moon and all the PEI books(the best was anne of the island with patty's place and anne's rosebud confection dress!)
kate be late by carol beach york
the girl with the green ear and leaf magic and other magical stories about nature by margaret mahy
the hobbit by tolkien
the princess and the goblin by george macdonald
rebecca of sunnybrook farm
what katy did series by susan coolidge
carbonel by barbara sleigh
the girl talk series (anyone read this? it was so frivolous, frothy and fun!)
the pink parrots series
bummer summer by ann m. martin
a little princess
little lord fauntleroy
charlotte's web
the emerald city of oz
my family and other animals by gerald durrell(one of the funniest authors I've read so far--his family is surreal but i adore them, Larry's my fave!)
sixth grade secrets and holes by louis sachar
charlie and the choc factory, danny the champion of the world, matilda, the witches, the bfg, henry sugar and short stories by roald dahl
the adventures of the wishing chair, the faraway tree and the family at red roofs by enid blyton
the little prince
tales of a one way street, the kingdom under the sea and the necklace of raindrops by joan aiken
among friends by caroline b. cooney
just as long as we're together by judy blume
the gift horse and you've been away all summer by sheila hayes
nothing's fair in the fifth grade and how do you lose those ninth grade blues by barthe declements
the jinny series by patricia leitch
heidi and heidi grows up
mr majeika series by humphrey carpenter
the puddle lane ladybird books (the wideawake mice!)
the twelve dancing princesses
the mouse and the motorcycle by beverly cleary
eight cousins, jack and jill and little women by louisa may alcott

the chrysalids sounds interesting

My childhood was the most reading active period in my life - I feel I must go back to that.

So, my favourities are:
Anne of Green Gables series
The Story Girl - also by L. M. Montgomery
Little Lord Fauntleroy and A Little Princess
The Prince and the Pauper
The Jungle Book - especially the story about Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
Pollyanna
Nomads of the North and other animal stories by Curwood
White Fang
The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by H. Pyle
Around the world in eighty days
A Bear Called Paddington by M. Bond
Winnie the Pooh
Children of Bullerbyn by A. Lindgren
lots of fairy tales - By Grimm brothers, Andersen (which I almost hate now, because they are so incredibly cruel and sad - the ideas of how to kill the evil stepmother and her ugly daughters resemble the bloodiest horrors) and Russian tales
Winnetou - by Karl May - I wonder if you know this book, and the other novels about Old Shatterhand's adventures in Wild West and in Arabian countries

Of course, I've read each of the mentioned books at least three times. In addition, when I'm in a proper mood, I still go back to some of them.

I dont know if anyone mentioned Jane Ayre it is really my favourite book ever. I have read it about 5 times (the complete unsimplified ) and i always do. I also like reading little women,and many other classics by the brontes and jane Austen. but other than classics I love Life of Pi by Yann Martel and harry potter.

Oh ya i forgot to mention daddy's long leg, Little Lord Fauntleroy and A Little Princess and i also love the films of both and cry whenever i watch them.

I loved Jane Ayre! I try to catch every movie version that comes out, but have been sorely dissapointed so far. (No surprise there, I guess).

I thought the BBC version of Jane Eyre with Timothy Dalton as Mr. Rochester and Zelah Clarke as Jane was very good and faithful to the novel. Mansfield Park with Frances O'Connor and Jonny Lee Miller was also a very good movie faithful to the book.

artemis fowl, series of unfortunate events, the little prince, little women, the lion the witch and the wardrobe. there are many more... :)

No one has mentioned the Betsy-Tacy books by Maude Harte Lovelace. (Betsy and Tacy , Betsy, Tacy and Tib , Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill , etc.)

I don't know if anyone has mentioned Walter Farley's Black Stallion series, or that other horse-lover's classic, Black Beauty .

My favorite books as a kid:

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
The Giver by Lois Lowry
Mandy by Julie Andrews

Redwall
Mattimeo
Thief of Always
Jedi Academy Trilogy
Attack of the Mutants (Goosebumps)
Say Cheese and Die (Goosebumps)
Lord of the Flies
Harry Potter series (mainly Goblet of Fire)

Dogtanian said:
Watership Down by Richard Adams

Absolutely amazing :)

Agreed on that one.

When I was a nipper some of my favourite books were

The Mr Men books
The Faraway Tree series by Enid Blyton
Pretty much all the Roald Dahl books
The Owl Who was Afraid of the Dark
Where the Wild Things Are
The Box of Delights
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Call of the Wild

My Mum also had a collection of books that had fairy tales from around the world, greek myths, arabian nights stories and loads more that I must have read loads of times.

To add to a growing list

Tarka the Otter and all the other Henry Williamson books

The Midwitch Cuckoos, John Wenham

The Viking series by Henry Treece

Stig of the Dump by Clive King

The What a Mess stories by Frank Muir (more for the quirky illustrations)

Rudyard Kipling, Just so stories

I loved the Adventure Series by Enid Blyton and Astrid Lindgren's books: Ronja Räubertochter (Ronia, the Robber's Daughter); Mio, mein Mio (Mio, my son); Madita (Mardie) and so on - never read Pippi Longstockings though.

when i was young (seems so long ago :rolleyes: )my absolute faves were:

anything by Roald Dahl
Which Witch?
The silver sword
The Hobbit
Animal Farm

I still love childrens fiction and have enjoyed reading Harry Potter, a series of unfortunate events and The Conch Bearer

Back