• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

To start things off: Favorite books

Here is my list of favourites (in no particular order):

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett.
The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkein
Anything by Roald Dahl, but my favourite would be The Witches
The Lorax by Dr Suess
Harry Potter series, my favourite being The Prisoner of Azkaban
Animal Farm by George Orwell
Charlotte's Web by E.B White ( :confused: )

~MonkeyCatcher~

My ultimate favorites

Mike Mulligan and his steam shovel

timelinemikemull.jpg

Ferdinand the Bull

awww.diannevetromile.com_FBullA4.jpg

What an excellent topic-I laughed, I cried, I'm now in touch with my inner-child. :) ;) :p

The "Happy Hollisters" series
The Velveteen Rabbit
Have Space Suit, Will Travel
Podkayne of Mars
Simple Spigott

and some others already mentioned on this thread

SFG75 said:
Ferdinand the Bull
Oh, add that one to my list also! I re-read that so many times that I could almost quote the book :rolleyes:

And I forgot to add Badjelly the Witch to my list. I /loved/ that book when I was little.

MonkeyCatcher

Is anyone familiar with Newberry Honor and Newberry Medal books? A while back, my hands would never flip the pages of a book unless it had a silver or gold Newberry medal at the cover.

Metaphor said:
Is anyone familiar with Newberry Honor and Newberry Medal books? A while back, my hands would never flip the pages of a book unless it had a silver or gold Newberry medal at the cover.
Back in the mid-1960s one of my elementary school teachers told us about that and named some titles. A few months ago in the childrens' section at Barnes and Noble I saw several of them on the shelves, still in print. :cool:

The Lion's Paw, by Robb White (there are other books by this title - I mean the one about the kids that escape from an orphanage and sail around florida). I read it as a child and it instantly transformed me from a reluctant reader to an avid reader. And I never lost my enthusiasm for reading after that. Also, the original Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I found it in my basement - it was a paperback - and of course, I was familiar with the Johnny Weismullar Tarzan, who swung from the vines all day on Saturday TV (I'm 54). I picked up that book and did not put it down again (except for a few hours sleep) until I finished it.

any books of Roald Dahl,little Women,Enid blyton's five findouters and dog (i loved Mr.Goon),Enid Blytons school series,Railway children,all the clasics, i still read series of unfortunate events and Harry Poter.

MonkeyCatcher said:
I adored the movie when I was younger, but I have never read the book. Does the movie stay very true to the book?
Not really. And if you are thinking of the Shirley Temple movie, almost not at all.

Favorite Book

My favorite book as a child was Matilda by Roald Dahl. I wanted so much to relate to her and the poor martyr she is. I also love the Harry Potter series. I still can't figure out how any one person could have such a complete world in their head!

Kaz said:
I enioyed read Anne Gables when I was young.

i read the first book to the Anne of Green Gables series. i dont think i've gotten beyond it. it makes me feel nostalgic. also, my mother and sister read the series in Polish when they were younger.

i also enjoyed The Little Prince. also a book both my mom and sister have read when they were younger.

Many of these are the same ones from the scifi forum.

Dinotopia series by James Gurney
Warriors and Warriors: The New Prophecy series by Erin Hunter
Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel tie in novels
Dinoverse series by Scott Ciencin

My list of favs.

1. Number the Stars
2. A Wrinkle in Time
3. Holes
4. Bridge of Teribithiea
5. The Giver

One of mine is _The Mixed Up File of Basil E. Frankweiler_ As a child after having read this, I used to dream of myself being stuck in a museum or in the mall after it closed.

It's been so great to have children and be able to relive my childhood through the books I loved!

hmm welllllll...my favorites of all time are the Lord of the Rings. hands down. everyone talks about harry potter phillip pullman and so many others...but im sorry (LOL well not really:p ) but they just lack the depth and ability to create such a world and characters and well...i could go on but you wont want me too. i discovered tolkien when i was 13 yrs old, my uncle bought me the box set for a Christmas present. been reading them ever since. also the Chronicles of Narnia. OH...the Redwall series and The Castaways of the Flying Dutchman series by Brian Jacques a highly under-appriciated author...hes one of my favs!

Back