• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

To start things off: Favorite books

I don't remember any single books from my early childhood other than a particular fascination with Curious George. However, once I started school, I discovered the Encyclopedia Brown series and the Three Investigators series. At 36, I still regularly read both. I am also a big fan of more recent discoveries like the Harry Potter series and the books of Jonathan Bellairs.

I enioyed read Anne Gables when I was young. Also Enid Blyton and Ronald Dahl as well. I like bit of adventures and humour as well.

One of my favourite books when I was younger was called "Remember Me" by Christopher Pike.

Must of read all of the point horror books too :)

I know I there were a couple of books in the library I took home quite a few times... But I can't remember their titles or authors. I only remember bits and pieces of the stories as well. I've tried to find them again in the library, but there are so many new books there and so many old ones have been sold, so I'm starting to think I'm never gonna find my childhood favourites again. :'

I used to love reading Roald Dahl stories, Charlie and the chocolate factory, Witches, etc. etc. I actually liked his short stories as well, which are more for adults. I also remember reading some Nancy Drew and the Hardy boys mystery books. Oh I also loved stories written by Hans Christian Andersen. I used to own a huge compilation of his stories. It's nice to read those to kids before they go to bed...they are relatively short which could be read in one night or two, depending on how sleepy you are!

Wow, so many of my favourites have already been mentioned - Enid Blyton (esp. the Five Find-Outers and Buster the dog - Mr. Goon was a great character!), Roald Dahl, Little Women, the 'Anne' books, any fairy tales (Hans Christian Anderson was a favourite), The Secret Garden, The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings.
I don't think anyone has mentioned E.Nesbit yet - has anyone read 'Five Children and It' or 'The Phoeix and the Carpet'? Another favourite was 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' by C.S. Lewis; I always regret that I didn't read the entire Narnia series until much later.
In my early teens I also enjoyed Piers Anthony's 'Xanth' series - very light, fun fantasy that seems to draw an immense amout of critisism! Is anyone else familier with this series?

My favorite childhood book was “Little Women.” I used to read it once a year or so. I actually got teary-eyed standing by Louisa May Alcott’s desk (where she wrote it) in her home in Concord. I love a lot of the children’s classics, but I lived for Anne of Green Gables and Trixie Belden books. I also loved Sydney Taylor’s “All of a Kind Family” books, the “Little House” series, anything by Jean Little, and the Katie John books. I just bought a Katie John book for fifty cents at a used book store! I’m sure I’m forgetting dozens.

has any one mentions net force yet? or the Everworld series? even though those are kinda disappointing at the end it they still protray a teenage's point of life except in netforce the teenager is a secondary character. o and by the way the everworld series is about 20 somthing books long if you were wondering. very good for summer reading

Netforce-by Tom Clancy

Everworld Series-by A.p. Applegate

My 12 year-old son has been reading the Everworld series. He's been distracted by the Lord of the Ring trilogy and The Golden Compass, but I'm sure he'll be back to them soon. He seems to enjoy them.

I can't believe I didn't mention Peter Pan! A true classic and one of my favourite books ever!

Also Winnie the Pooh (not just for children!) and Alice in Wonderland. And I remember enjoying Orwell's Animal Farm as a child - I thought it was a great story about a bunch of farmyard animals! :D

BEST BOOKS EVER!

1. Tangerine by Edward Bloor
2. Crusader by Edward Bloor
3. The Named by an author i can't remember right now, but it was a great book. I read it as an advanced copy. i was reviewing books for a local bookstore!

Anyway, those are my favorite young adult books.

Also, another book that might make it up there is the Transal Saga by gary paulson, but the ending was terrible. If your gonna read that book stop about 30 pages from the end! The ending is horrible.

Hey, i'm 14. I read Artemus Foul a few months ago. The plot is intruiging but it's terribly written.

Ender's game is a great book.

Also, if you enjoy good books, read Tangerine. I read it last year and it's my favorite book.

The Neverending story is pretty good too(the movie SUCKS)

I've never read any of the Pern novels. I've often wondered if I was missing out on something. I know they're quite popular. Do you follow the adventures of one set of characters, or does each novel introduce new characters in the same setting (like the Shannara series)? I've often wondered how an author can keep the charcters fresh and interesting after so many books. That is one of the complaints about the Wheel of Time series. Some of the characters are just not interesting anymore.

The original three of the Pern series are wonderful with great characters in a great storyline. The next two or three are pretty good too. After awhile, though, they kind of flatten out and you're sitting there thinking, "Man, am I ever going to get through this series?"

Dragonflight, Dragonquest, and The White Dragon (Dragonflight was first published as a short story in the late 60's or early 70's I think but they are still readily available thanks to recent reprints.)

Others in the series that I enjoyed were:
Moreta
Dragonsdawn
All the Weyrs of Pern

If you like these go ahead and try out any others you find in the series--there are several others.

Thanks, Prolixic. I've been out of commission for a while because of the Mardi Gras season. I've seen 8 parades in 3 days and the season's not over yet! Tomorrow's the big day. Anyway, I'm in the mood to give these a try. If for nothing else, to see what the hubbub is about.

My list ...

Teen & Young Adult (Children's below):

1. The Lord of the Rings
2. To Kill a Mockingbird
3. The Hobbit
4. A Separate Peace
5. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
6. Citadel
7. The Lord of the Flies
8. The Chrysalids
9. Stranger in a Strange Land
10. Go Ask Alice
11. Deryni Rising
12. High Deryni
13. The Philosopher's Stone (Colin WIlson)
14. The Railway Children (Edith Nesbitt)
15. Horatio Hornblower (and the series)
16. Rascal (by Sterling North)
16. Any of the Children's books below

Children's (and some adults like me)
1. The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe
2. Prince Caspian
3. The Amazing Inventions of Alvin Fernald
4. Winnie the Pooh
5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
6. The Magician's Nephew
7. The Horse and Hs Boy
8. The Last Battle
9. FOr the precocious - any of the books in the first list

And Why oh Why could I have not been born early enough to have read Roald Dahl at the age my daughter is!

Back