• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tom Clancy

Darren

I was in WH Smith yesterday and noticed that they're selling "Red Rabbit" for £8.99 instead of the retail £18.99. I nearly bought it, but from reading the synopsis, it seemed that I should read the earlier books first. What order should they be read in? Didn't he right some that weren't involving Jack Ryan?

Darren.

I don't think you need to read the other Ryan books first because "Red Rabbit" occurs early in Jack Ryan's CIA career.

I haven't read all the Ryan books, but my dh has; and he says it isn't necessary to read them in order, except that historically (i.e. current world events-wise), they might make more sense.

I found this list online. They are in "story order", not publication order. "Red Rabbit" would, I assume, go to the top of the list.

1 - Without Remorse (1993)
2 - Patriot Games (1987)
3 - The Hunt for Red October (1984)
4 - The Cardinal of the Kremlin (1988)
5 - Clear and Present Danger (1989)
6 - The Sum of All Fears (1991)
7 - Debt of Honor (1994)
8 - Executive Orders (1996)
9 - The Bear and The Dragon

PS. This list reminds me why I was so p.o'd at the movie of "Sum of All Fears". The movie totally messed up the timeline for the Jack Ryan character by placing it at the beginning of his CIA career just for the benefit of the young Ben Affleck.

Thanks Ell. I've read The Hunt for Red October about ten years ago and seem to remember enjoying it. Been meaning to read some of the others.

Red Rabbit takes place between Patriot Games and The Hunt For Red October, but it is not necessary to have read Patriot Games.

I finished Red Rabbit a few weeks back (actually waited two hours in a 1,300 person line to get a copy signed). You should be warned if you plan on reading it: Do not expect action, or even much suspense. Clancy's going for a change of pace here with more of a historical drama. It is based on the real life event of the assassination attempt on the Pope and explores the possibility of if the Soviets were involved.

It does not matter what order any of the books are read in, I don't think. I never read them in order. Though Debt of Honor should probably be read before Executive Orders as the later is a direct sequel.

I liked The Sum of All Fears movie. I didn't mind that they messed around with Ryan's career and the timeline. In fact, I prefer early Clancy when Ryan is an anylyst getting in over his head and Clark is the deadly, efficient paramilitary field operative. My real gripe is that they altered the villains from Islamic radicals to neo-nazis in a move of political correctness. (This is even before 9/11). Though I do find it hard to believe that the American and Russian presidents, on the verge of launching nukes, will stop everything because of an intelligence anylyst. Paramount has a poor history of altering Clancy's books, but I don't mind usually don't mind. It's hard to make an 600-800 page novel into a 120 minute movie without alterations.

Darren, have you seen this or any of the other movies made from a Clancy novel?

Hi Ross, thanks for the info. I've seen Hunt For Red October, Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger, but only read Hunt for Red October and Red Storm Rising (many years ago).

I'm not so sure about Red Rabbit now. I was hoping for a high-packed action thriller.

Which is the best to get started with Tom Clancy? I like to try to read books in order if their's a central character involved. I know that Jack Ryan gets promoted to high office in the later books so don't want to jump in their.

What about the other Tom Clancy books like the netforce and op center ones?

If you're not sure about Red Rabbit, than I'd suggest The Cardinal of the Kremlin or Clear and Present Danger. Both have Jack Ryan but Cardinal takes place right after Red October. Cardinal's one of my personal favorites, but if your looking for action, Clear and Present Danger has a little more.

I don't care much for the Netforce books. I like Op-Center. Neither of these series are actually written by Clancy though.

Netforce was launched from a television movie about an FBI unit dealing with crimes over the internet.

Op-Center was launched from a television movie about a fictional US government organization with its own intelligence and military branches.

There's also the Power Plays series, also not written by Clancy, which seem to be decent. I actually only read the first book, about Russia being politically and economically messed up with Communists trying to overthrow the government.

Those last two follow in Clancy's usual formula with complex stories and multiple subplots and characters.

We sold out of Red Rabbit the second day we had it in stock, and then when we went to order more - usually minimum of 50 for a bestselling new release - we found out that the distributors had sold out too and had to reprint.
Every day for about two-three weeks we had customers complaining, but what could we do?
We finally got more stock in and I think we're, once again, down to the last two or three copies.
I didn't realise Tom Clancy had such a large fan base. Possibly related to the movie release of 'A Sum of All Fears'?

Well, I took the plunge and ordered Red Rabbit from Amazon. They're selling it for nearly half price so I thought I'd give it a go :)

I may give Red Rabbit a go now its out in paperback - ive read his books in order but stopped after The Sum of All Fears - what are Debt of Honour and Executive Orders like??

Which is the best to get started with Tom Clancy?

A number of his novels can be read alone without much trouble. I'd still say the best arise from the early stuff- Patriot Games (which the movie is surprisingly loyal to), Clear and Present Danger (which is totally different to the movie), Hunt for Red October and Cardinal of the Kremlin.

what are Debt of Honour and Executive Orders like??
Debt of honour didn't really appeal to me to be honest- it was reasonable, but in comparison to the earlier novels, it doesn't quite stand up. Probably one of the weakest in the series IMHO (well I've only read upto executive orders).

Executive orders took the series into the political arena- Clancy devised a scenario taking out just about every major US political figure, leaving 'boy scout' Ryan in charge. You could argue that it's a book that rants against the 'system' saying well if I was in charge, I'd do x, y and z instead. One other thing- look at the size of it. It's good in places, but it is overly long, and a bit of an edit would have been appreciated.

Time was, I couldn't wait for the next Tom Clancy novel to hit the streets. I've read Without Remorse, Hunt for Red October, Red Storm Rising, The Sum of all Fears, Debt of Honor, The Cardinal of the Kremlin, Clear and Present Danger, Patriot Games and the first in the Op-Center series. I tried Executive Orders, but I lost interest and haven't picked up one of his books since.

My favorite and only Clancy novel I've read more then once is Red Store Rising. I read that book and half of Hunt for Red October on a flight from Philidelphia to Bahrain. Without Remorse was another favorite.

Robert said:
Time was, I couldn't wait for the next Tom Clancy novel to hit the streets. I've read Without Remorse, Hunt for Red October, Red Storm Rising, The Sum of all Fears, Debt of Honor, The Cardinal of the Kremlin, Clear and Present Danger, Patriot Games and the first in the Op-Center series. I tried Executive Orders, but I lost interest and haven't picked up one of his books since.

My favorite and only Clancy novel I've read more then once is Red Store Rising. I read that book and half of Hunt for Red October on a flight from Philidelphia to Bahrain. Without Remorse was another favorite.

There's a huge difference between his early books (Red October, Patriot Games) and his latest books. The early ones he actually wrote himself, with ample research. He paid attention to character and plot.

The later ones are "Tom Clancy" brand books. He doesn't write them. He lets the publisher publish them under his name, and he does have some input into the plot and subject, but they are written by teams of writers, many of whom just do the technical research and dump loads of facts into the books, without thinking about whether they're fun to read.

It's unfortunate, but many popular writers do that when they get tired of writing but still want to make money. The publishers are so reluctant to let the "brand" go, that they would rather sacrifice quality for quantity.

Stephen Ambrose is another case, but his "brand" is (was) history, not fiction.

More reason to admire someone like Stephen King, who actually writes what appears under his name.

No kidding. I had no idea Clancy had reached that point in his writing career. That does explain the change.

Thanks.

I'm surprised no one has read Rainbow Six. That's the only Clancy I have read and I really enjoyed it. It was really compelling because it felt like it could actually happen.

By the way, if you don't know, Rainbow Six is about an elite counter-terrorism unit that fights international terrorism, but it ties into a great doomsday plot. It also became the spark for a series of okay computer games.

Clancy and his works

I like Clancy really. Most of his works are quite readable, and I enjoyed them greatly. But, of course, as it is not easy for an American to consider "the outside world" as something worthy of detailed description, there are many... how should I say... Mistakes, which could easily blend in the whole picture if you are an American reading about Russia, or a Russian reading about America, but they tend to stand out and jump at you, when you read about the country you live in.

So... Maybe none of you here took notice of that, but:

1. Tom Clancy positively thinks that all Russians drink vodka before meal, with meal, after meal and frequently instead of meal. Every business meeting starts and ends with vodka, and all the Russians drink freely during work and at home. It may shock you, but it is not so by several hundred percent. And more than that, it had never been so, as far as I know.

2. To complete the drinking issue, I must mention that Russians almost never sip their vodka. Vodka is usually drank in gulps rather than sips. Usually all of it - in one gulp. How much one can drink depends on one's abilities and on the glass' size: we usually use 40 - 200 grams glasses. Russians usually drink only with ample reason: on big holidays and funerals. Of course there are people here who drink every day, but I doubt very much that we have more such people than could be found in America. (Though I may be wrong here, as we have still a long way before us to using drugs in such quantities as that is supposedly the case in USA. Because of that we may have more drinkers, and USA have more narcs).

3. An adult Russian will almost never call another person "Mishka", "Sashka", "Van'ka" etc. (Mishka = Mikhail, Sashka = Alexander, Van'ka = Ivan). Only in case when they are in a bath and had been drinking heavily, or playing football or other hockey and expect to be drinking heavily really soon, or they are childhood buddies from school or the same village (and were drinking heavily then and since)... ouch... this drinking theme is really quite sticky...
But most of all this is how kids call each other when they are below ten years of age. No kidding.

4. We have in Russia some things that are alike to what you have in USA, especially from some distance. But really the difference is quite obvious. One of such things are MILITARY RANKS. For example, our Major General goes below Lieutenant General, and than goes Colonel General. Logic is simple: major has one star, lieutenant has two stars, and colonel has three stars. So Colonel General (or in Russian "General Polkovnik") has only three stars, and not four, as one wrongly thinks while reading "Bear and Dragon". There are some other differences which I would gladly explain to any interested person.

So... I like Mr. Clancy very much, and I had read all his things except "Rainbow Six", which I failed to buy here and in Finland, Sweden, UK and Maldives for half a year... It is interesting if Americans, Brits and others can find not too precise descriptions of their countries in the works of Clancy?

As for me - it would be much flattering, if Clancy had made his next book mentioning Russian ways and habits more to the point... If not - OK, his books are great as it is.

I'm almost finished with Rainbow 6
in this book Clancy mentions Jack Ryan as president of U.S.A. (does not give a name)
the book is about a elite task force
it is highly enjoyable
I also read Red Rabbit - there is not lethal things in the book but it is a book which you can enjoy reading

Sergo said:
I like Clancy really. Most of his works are quite readable, and I enjoyed them greatly. But, of course, as it is not easy for an American to consider "the outside world" as something worthy of detailed description, there are many... how should I say... Mistakes, which could easily blend in the whole picture if you are an American reading about Russia, or a Russian reading about America, but they tend to stand out and jump at you, when you read about the country you live in.

So... Maybe none of you here took notice of that, but:

1. Tom Clancy positively thinks that all Russians drink vodka before meal, with meal, after meal and frequently instead of meal. Every business meeting starts and ends with vodka, and all the Russians drink freely during work and at home. It may shock you, but it is not so by several hundred percent. And more than that, it had never been so, as far as I know.

2. To complete the drinking issue, I must mention that Russians almost never sip their vodka. Vodka is usually drank in gulps rather than sips. Usually all of it - in one gulp. How much one can drink depends on one's abilities and on the glass' size: we usually use 40 - 200 grams glasses. Russians usually drink only with ample reason: on big holidays and funerals. Of course there are people here who drink every day, but I doubt very much that we have more such people than could be found in America. (Though I may be wrong here, as we have still a long way before us to using drugs in such quantities as that is supposedly the case in USA. Because of that we may have more drinkers, and USA have more narcs).

3. An adult Russian will almost never call another person "Mishka", "Sashka", "Van'ka" etc. (Mishka = Mikhail, Sashka = Alexander, Van'ka = Ivan). Only in case when they are in a bath and had been drinking heavily, or playing football or other hockey and expect to be drinking heavily really soon, or they are childhood buddies from school or the same village (and were drinking heavily then and since)... ouch... this drinking theme is really quite sticky...
But most of all this is how kids call each other when they are below ten years of age. No kidding.

4. We have in Russia some things that are alike to what you have in USA, especially from some distance. But really the difference is quite obvious. One of such things are MILITARY RANKS. For example, our Major General goes below Lieutenant General, and than goes Colonel General. Logic is simple: major has one star, lieutenant has two stars, and colonel has three stars. So Colonel General (or in Russian "General Polkovnik") has only three stars, and not four, as one wrongly thinks while reading "Bear and Dragon". There are some other differences which I would gladly explain to any interested person.

So... I like Mr. Clancy very much, and I had read all his things except "Rainbow Six", which I failed to buy here and in Finland, Sweden, UK and Maldives for half a year... It is interesting if Americans, Brits and others can find not too precise descriptions of their countries in the works of Clancy?

As for me - it would be much flattering, if Clancy had made his next book mentioning Russian ways and habits more to the point... If not - OK, his books are great as it is.

Thanks, that's interesting information Sergo :)

I haven't read Clancy but I have read of him. I read that his books use cardboard cut out stereotypes of different countries so it's probably not just Russia he does this with!

Back