• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

tom cruise

From imdb.com:
Scientology Sues Parody Website

The Church of Scientology has warned a satirical New Zealand website that it will take legal action against it unless it stops using the domain name www.scienTOMogy.info. The website claims it is devoted to "exposing Tom Cruise's moronic behavior in his relentless crusade to promote" Scientology. In an interview with today's (Wednesday) Los Angeles Times, attorney Helena Kobrin, representing the controversial organization, said: "You can't use someone else's trademarks to promote your own agenda. ... Changing one letter is the trick of the infringer to try to get around the law, but the law makes it very clear that you can't do that." However, the courts have held that a trademark may be legally parodied if a reasonable person is not likely to confuse it with the original. The site itself says that it is not connected with the Church of Scientology and offers a link to the actual Scientology site. It also states that it "is purely satirical ... and is completely non-commercial."

lenny nero said:
From imdb.com:
This is interesting, because there are a lot of websites out there that have domain names with slight misspellings and variations that are designed to attract people who are looking for the real deal. I don't think this case has much of a chance, but if the NZ site was found guilty under some law (not sure how this sort of international legal stuff works) it would set an interesting precedent.

I have never really cared for Tom Cruise as an actor. I find him boring.

Whenever you see him, you see the same face, the same expression.
Sean Penn is a whole other ball game. When I see him, then I see the character he plays first, and then him. I can sometimes forget about "Sean Penn" and only see the character he plays. Thats great acting! Cruise has never been able to do that. I only see him in his roles, not the character. Cruise has never reached the level of acting, like Sean Penn, Robert de Niro etc., who can actually act and make you forget their famous faces.

As far as Cruise and Katie, then I would be very worried if I was the parent of Katie. Cruise comes across to me as a crazy person who is so involved in a cult that he cannot think a sane thought. To me it looks like he has taken over her life and she never says anything for herself. Shame as I liked her in the teenager serie she made, cant remember the name of the serie.

Flower

Kookamoor said:
This is interesting, because there are a lot of websites out there that have domain names with slight misspellings and variations that are designed to attract people who are looking for the real deal. I don't think this case has much of a chance, but if the NZ site was found guilty under some law (not sure how this sort of international legal stuff works) it would set an interesting precedent.
I agree - is it just me or do Americans /really/ like going to court? :p This is going a bit overboard, I think.

Flowerdk4 said:
I have never really cared for Tom Cruise as an actor. I find him boring.

Whenever you see him, you see the same face, the same expression.
Sean Penn is a whole other ball game. When I see him, then I see the character he plays first, and then him. I can sometimes forget about "Sean Penn" and only see the character he plays. Thats great acting! Cruise has never been able to do that. I only see him in his roles, not the character. Cruise has never reached the level of acting, like Sean Penn, Robert de Niro etc., who can actually act and make you forget their famous faces.

Flower

This is exactly how I feel about Cruise! I can't watch anything he's in. Okay, I've watched "Mission:Impossible" because there are other people in it, and whenever he's in a scene, I cringe. It's a mystery how he has superstar status.

Back