• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tom Wolfe: I Am Charlotte Simmons

Anamnesis

I recently finished it. I would have read this one sooner but the mixed reception from critics and fans made me hesitant. Anyway, I think that the book would have been better if Wolfe didn't spend so much time rambling about basketball games and the athletes involved. I know sports are an important aspect of most colleges, but surely there's plenty to do besides that. One other complaint deals with character development, or lack of it. I thought most of the characters were boring and even stereotypical (Ms. Simmons included). The only characters I really liked were Jojo and Adam. The rest I were either indifferent about or were irritating.

I did like Wolfe's style, particularly his sarcastic approach to the subject matter. The book was overwritten but if you look at it as a parody of college life, the exaggerated and dramatic writing works (still doesn't excuse the weak cast of characters).

A friend gave me this book. I read about a ¼ of it then put it down to start another read. I had every intention of going back to it at some point, but never did. I found it hard to connect with the story/characters. My friend raved about it (and she only rarely will indulge in fiction) but I found it dull.

I've been eyeing this one for quite some time now. It had a lot of fanfare in conservative circles when it first came out. From their perspective, Wolfe was taking aim at the liberal university system that churned out dim-witted students who cared for nothing more than the banal activities that are more than plentiful for them to enjoy. Think watching spring break footage on Mtv. The problem with this viewpoint is that it's a gross generalization. Yes, some students are like that, but there are those who balance studies with non-profit activities and who work their tails off, and yes, some do try and save the world.

Interesting response to the book-will definitely hold off on it. I'm expecting a huge Vonnegut shipment next week and I'm currently finishing off Trillin's book.

Back