• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Too many pages?

M

member 737

Greed of a bookworm has no limits. Or maybe it has?
Have you ever given up reading a book, because it was too long?

Only if it was also too boring. Normally I can finish a boring book, but if I'm faced with over 600 pages of the stuff then I'll quit.

Okay, I'm really gonna mark myself with this one...

The bigger the better -- Books, Raven, books. ;)

Seriously, I'll grant you that pages and pages of scene descriptions can be dull, but I hate for books to end, so I put up with the periodic dullness in order to sate my need to hang on to the story for as long as I can.

And quitting book? That has only happened twice in my reading existance, and both times I wound up going back and picking it up again later. The first time was Jordon's Eye of the World. I'd heard so many good things about it, but just didn't see how a boy walking with his father and their cart for 50 pages could be considered incredible -- took about three restarts to get past that and then I was hooked on the series until I finished the Lord of Chaos (but that's another story LOL). The second was a book by Jo Clayton (can't remember the name of it) but she made the mistake of making the names too similar for two or three races on this planet making it almost impossible for me to keep things straight -- but, in a moment of reading desperation, I tackled those again and after muddling through the first book the others in that trilogy made more sense.

Don't know, I heard size does not matter. But women are all crafty so we can't trust them :p

I don't really mind if it's long book or a short book. I just want it to be a GOOD book. I quit a book if it's short or long. I love books and reading but why to read a boring book? Life is too short and the world is FULL of books! Why keep wading though something you don't like???? I try to do only things that give me joy in my life. Work gets in the way of that dammit :mad:

Regards
SillyWabbit

SillyWabbit said:
Don't know, I heard size does not matter. But women are all crafty so we can't trust them :p

I don't really mind if it's long book or a short book. I just want it to be a GOOD book. I quit a book if it's short or long. I love books and reading but why to read a boring book? Life is too short and the world is FULL of books! Why keep wading though something you don't like???? I try to do only things that give me joy in my life. Work gets in the way of that dammit :mad:

Regards
SillyWabbit

This is the kicker for me... I have never read a book I didn't enjoy on some level. Even really poorly written ones offer up some enjoyment. Sure, I go back to author's that I find exceptional, and shy away from authors I'm not crazy about. But I have yet to read a book that left me feeling like I'd wasted my time. Perhaps that's just another sign of reading addiction. LOL

lol

Well, im sure the fact that I give up on stuff that bores me is a sign that I am just far too picky :D

BTW, are you a georgia peach? :D

Regards
SillyWabbit

SillyWabbit said:
Life is too short and the world is FULL of books! Why keep wading though something you don't like????
Exactly. I used to insist on always finishing a book I started, but then I started the Lord of the Rings. It occured to me at that point that there was absolutely no way on Earth I was going to sit through such a long and pointless pile of tripe. I struggled on for a bit, but I was only managing about 2 pages a day before the boiling rage within in built up to the point where it was just becoming too dangerous for the people around me. So I stopped. I just put the book down and walked away. And nothing terrible happened. I didn't suffer angst about the one that beat me. The ceiling didn't crash down on my head to punish me for my wrongdoing. I just went a bought a new book.

So now, when faced with too painful a struggle, I just don't bother. I keep the book, in case my tastes change and one day I'll find it entertaining, but I certainly don't force myself to read drivel just to say I finished it.

SillyWabbit said:
lol

Well, im sure the fact that I give up on stuff that bores me is a sign that I am just far too picky :D

BTW, are you a georgia peach? :D

Regards
SillyWabbit

The joy of reading is that you can be picky if you choose to be and still not run out of material to sink your teeth into. :)

I'm a transplant, but since I've been in Georgia for 14 years now, you'd probably not be able to distinguish me from the natives. ;)

Litany said:
So now, when faced with too painful a struggle, I just don't bother. I keep the book, in case my tastes change and one day I'll find it entertaining, but I certainly don't force myself to read drivel just to say I finished it.

Yeah, that's what I did the two times something was too painful to read. But for me, I don't try to finish a book just to say I finished it -- I continue reading it so I can get to the good part(s). I guess it's about giving the author a fair shot. If I read one book and aren't swept away by it, I won't go back for another, but at least I've made an effort.

For instance, Peter S Beagle and The Last Unicorn. I'm not sorry I read it -- I enjoyed it a bit. But, I'm not interested in reading anything else by him as I wasn't crazy about his storytelling.

I usually try to finish all books I start.

I like reading long books and have given up on a few because they were to boring. I always keep a bookmark in the spot where I stopped just in case I want to start where I left off.

It happened to me while reading the Lord of the Rings when I was still very young but as I got older I made it through the book and actually liked it.

It also happened to me while reading The Stand, I got 300 pages or so into it and just stopped. The very beginning was excellent and then it just turned to trash. That was many years ago and I hear good things about the book and I might try it again since it might just have a really boring beginning.

{Tigress} said:
Okay, I'm really gonna mark myself with this one...

The bigger the better -- Books, Raven, books. ;)

Books huh? yeah, sure.

Better make that 6 cans of whipped cream and a can of peaches in heavy syrup....heavy on the heavy syrup. :D

RaVeN

Ich kämpfe said:
It also happened to me while reading The Stand, I got 300 pages or so into it and just stopped. The very beginning was excellent and then it just turned to trash. That was many years ago and I hear good things about the book and I might try it again since it might just have a really boring beginning.

I haven't read that yet, so I'll keep that in mind. That's what I meant about just pluggin' away through the rough parts -- I sometimes have to wade through a bit of mud to get to the good stuff, but I don't mind as generally it was worth it. :)

And of course I can't let Raven off the hook here... Fuzzy huh? Nope, nevermind, I just can't go there. :p

{Tigress} said:
I haven't read that yet, so I'll keep that in mind. That's what I meant about just pluggin' away through the rough parts -- I sometimes have to wade through a bit of mud to get to the good stuff, but I don't mind as generally it was worth it. :)

And of course I can't let Raven off the hook here... Fuzzy huh? Nope, nevermind, I just can't go there. :p

Well, I hope you have better luck than I did since I obviously got stuck in the mud. :)

Ich kämpfe said:
Well, I hope you have better luck than I did since I obviously got stuck in the mud. :)

I'll let you know when I get to it, and maybe we can try to tackle it together; perhaps that will help. LOL

Well, if I were to describe in detail the sweaty experience in the back of my Pontiac with a hooker from Georgia that your smiley reminds me of, I'd probably be smoke.... unless I mentioned it would take Too Many Pages to do the story justice.

RaVeN

Back