• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Top qualities of a book store

I like a well-lit store, with places to sit if I choose. Knowlegable and friendly staff are vital. Nothing turns me off faster than ignorant clerk who acts like I'm an idiot for wanting a book they can't locate. I like cats in used stores. One of my favorite stores has very small sofa, and a highly sociable cat. Coffee-scented bookstores work for me, although I rarely buy their over-priced brew. Still smells nice.
Somone mentioned they didn't like kids in bookstores. I think I understand(and agree on some issues) why, but I like having them there anyway. Adult readers have to get an interest in books sometime, and most of us started as kids.

Libre said:
Couches, artwork, music, well-read staff, meeting area, coffee bar, types of clientele, decorations, etc. are all non-essentials.

Here's what I want in a bookstore (hypothetical conversation):
Them: May I help you?
Me: Do you have (fill-in-the-title) by (fill-in-the-author)?
T: Let me see - just a second ... (pause while they check computer) ... yes sir, right this way. (pause while we go to book's loacation). Right here.
M: Thank you.
T: You're welcome.
I completely agree - and if they don't have it at present they can at least get it and will order it while you're there.

A wide selection of books is an absolute must in any bookstore. Friendly staff who are willing to help you look for that particular title is also nice to have. Maybe some soft jazz or classical music in the background that's not a distraction.

Lots a Books, Lots a Comfy Chairs, Lots a Coffee :D
Oh! and Lots a Money
:eek:

Literally Perfect :)

I'll tell you what a good book store is NOT: It is NOT a place that primarily rents DVDs and sells software, pumps hip hop music loudly over the speakers, and has a book section off to one side. To the left, in fact (most people veer right). The Hastings in town is like that, and the atmosphere is incredibly bad for perusing bookshelves. In fact, you very rarely see anyone anywhere near the books! Nevertheless, they continually have author book signings as if the people who come through the door are interesting in meeting an author (do they even read? I've often wondered.) instead of getting movies for the weekend.

Wichita has had a so-called bookstore or two like that. About the only good thing about them was the magazine selection. Oh, and they usually had great candy :rolleyes:

Stewart said:
A wide selection of books and a good array of deals is enough for me. I don't drink coffee, I don't participate in book groups, I don't sit down, and don't talk to the staff.

aha... yeh me too. sometimes the couches are convientant tho. i loved them in this one barnes and noble i used to go to in NJ. i've only eaten at the coffee shop there once - to expensive.

i'm not too picky with book stores, but i like having a large selection. the last borders i went to made my day - they had everything i looked for and more. they also had computers are some spots where you can look up what you're looking for.

theres this one private book store in my area that just annoys me everytime i go in. its so unorganized, extremely crowded, and censored. theres a waldenbooks about 30 min away from me which is good enough if i'm looking for a specfic book, or bored in that mall. its a chain off of borders, which is better than that private book store.

i prefer staff that leaves me alone. altho they have been a help in waldenbooks the two times that i needed to find a book :p i was surprised that they pinpointed it right away. its annoying when a staff member takes a longer time than me to find something specific

Prairie_Girl said:
my favourite bookstore had staff that ALWAYS asked what I was listening to when I was in the store w/ my headphones, I loved that.

hah, that'd probably annoy me. i like to keep to myself. i always feel stupid saying "what" when i finally realize someones talking to me. then theres like an awkward silence b/c i'm to focused on something else to carry on conversation

i prefer staff that leaves me alone. altho they have been a help in waldenbooks the two times that i needed to find a book :p i was surprised that they pinpointed it right away. its annoying when a staff member takes a longer time than me to find something specific

Staff should be like some people's kids-seen and not heard.:p

I hate to be interrupted while staring blankly at a bookshelf. Usually the blank stare is because I'm trying to remember an author's name and the last thing I want is for some fresh faced kid who probably had a full eight hours of sleep the night before, to make me share the fact that my two remaining brain cells are seriously challenged! On the other hand, I don't want to find myself forced to go on safari to locate a clerk if I want one. Seems like a compromise could be worked out. Give every customer a little white flag to wave if we need help. If the flag is down, don't ask if I want help!

Back