• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tricky Tips For Trying Ticks

How did this turn into a Stewart-bashing thread? I think teadude is a much better pinata.

teadude, is your post a joke, or what? Those are the dumbest tips on writing I've seen in a while. Congratulations, though. Clearly they are not plagiarized from somewhere else, but the product of a fertile thought organ.

novella said:
Clearly they are not plagiarized from somewhere else, but the product of a fertile thought organ.

novella, please, please promise that you will never leave us here alone without you: "a fertile thought organ", indeed. Who else but you would have such a phrase at her fingertips?

How did this turn into a Stewart-bashing thread? I think teadude is a much better pinata.

I came to praise Stewie, not to bash him.

Are you not banned yet, for being useless, you little troll?

teadude just got off being banned for being too young to post here at all, so let's cut him a break -- Oh! Were you talking to me?

I was referring to stigmataman as a useless little troll, given that his posts amount to nothing other than tiny comments intended to belittle other members.

Stewart said:
Are you not banned yet, for being useless, you little troll?

Come on Stew, that's a bit harsh. He was joking, didn't you see the smilie face? I've never seen Stigmaticman troll yet, you just probably don't get his sense of humour. :rolleyes:

Okay, then. teadude, please accept my apologies. I'm a big meanie. I had no idea you were just getting started in the writing life.

Best to write the type of work that you prefer to read, I think. That's a simple rule for a writer to live by.

novella said:
Okay, then. teadude, please accept my apologies. I'm a big meanie. I had no idea you were just getting started in the writing life.

Best to write the type of work that you prefer to read, I think. That's a simple rule for a writer to live by.

Its alrite, you didn't know :)

I once managed to end up on a panel of judges for a children's short story competition (for reasons too dull to go into here).

I was struck by a peculiar trend. Up to a certain age, a lot of the stories were remarkably good: tight, economical with words, simple yet compelling. Then it got to the 12 to 14 age group, and suddenly you couldn't move for adjectives, adverbs, hyperbole, tortured phrasing and sentences that never seemed to end.

The moral? Not sure, but it struck me that a lot of kids start off as naturally good storytellers, and then forget the skill as they strive to become Writers. By trying too hard to impress, they lose their grip on the basics. Writers of all ages might do well to try thinking like a 9-year-old every now and then.

GreenKnight said:
I once managed to end up on a panel of judges for a children's short story competition (for reasons too dull to go into here).

I was struck by a peculiar trend. Up to a certain age, a lot of the stories were remarkably good: tight, economical with words, simple yet compelling. Then it got to the 12 to 14 age group, and suddenly you couldn't move for adjectives, adverbs, hyperbole, tortured phrasing and sentences that never seemed to end.

The moral? Not sure, but it struck me that a lot of kids start off as naturally good storytellers, and then forget the skill as they strive to become Writers. By trying too hard to impress, they lose their grip on the basics. Writers of all ages might do well to try thinking like a 9-year-old every now and then.

Quote of the day.

No--make that year.

Wow! I cant beleive this topic is still going on. I made it ages ago, I virtually left this forum since then! I have returned now and again though! :eek:

teadude said:
Wow! I cant beleive this topic is still going on. I made it ages ago, I virtually left this forum since then! I have returned now and again though! :eek:
Ages ago. April 21st, 2006.

Back