• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

tv or not tv

graydaisy

sorry about the (cliche/pun?). anyway, i've been without tv for about a month now, and i must admit that i was terribly addicted. i mean, i watched atleast 4 hours a day, and that was while working 10 hours and attending school for 4 or 5 hours each day. i had experienced a lapse in tv watching once before, so it was not a completely new experience to me, except that everything in my life is completely different at this point than it was at the point of my previous tv ban. (please hold your applause. i've yet to discover if that is a good thing or not.) The thing that i came to realize this time, is that i was not actually living my life. Anyway, i recently turned the old box back on figuring that it would not effect me; that i had become immune to it's powers, that i could actually not watch it. what a fool am i. the first show that flashed onto the modest 19" broksonic was "News Radio" and then "My So Called Life". How can i resist? No, really, how?? Also, is it like this everywhere? i'm in the states and that's all i know. i wish that there was a way to get a specific network only, like say, the discovery channel, and not have to pay for the rest of the mind numbing ploys of capitalists everywhere. :confused:

:rolleyes: please ignore the rants of this confused individual. she has recently been overwhelmed by feelings of inadequacy in the times of her _____.

It's not that hard to give up tv. It's not like there's anything on. I think we use the tv for DVDs and the Game Cube more than anything else. Just replace it with books and chocolate.

Sapper41 said:
This year i'm giving up TV for lent. It is not going to be fun I imagine :(

Lents aaaaggggeeeeesssssssss away!

Meh the TV holds little appeal really, I have it on in the background when I'm on the comp but I'm never really watching it. And I've not got a long enough concentration span for films. It's quite useful when I'm really tired but can't go to sleep for fea of ruining my sleeping pattern... kind of keeps me awake/amused.

Throw the TV away!

I went for three years without owning a TV once. Didn't really miss it.

I married a couch potato though. He's knows it's a huge accomplishement to get me to sit down and watch even an hour's worth of TV with him. It's just not my thing.

Now, take me to a theatre for a movie. I'm glued to my seat.

The only reason you would ever require a TV are to serve as a GameCube monitor and to watch DVDs. This, therefore, is what I use my TV for!

We basically lived without tv for six months. I can't say I missed it. I'm too interested in other passtimes to want to sit down in front of a tv, where I feel like I'm wasting time. I'll either wander off or chat through the entire program, if my husband manages to get me to sit down and attempt to watch something.

We mostly have a tv for sports (especially football) and our Xbox.

I gave up TV accidently several years ago, and never looked back. I have so much more free time than my friends.

I'm just addicted to the internet. :(

i gave up tv, when i moved overseas to study, because tv its really bad in this country (no offence), since then i had become an internet addict, :eek: even download my fav tv shows from the net :p

but back home it was part of my daily rutine, tv from 00:00 to 03:00, and yeah the news at lunch time

TV Evil! TV Evil! TV Evil!

(I'm sure Mr. Enema and Mr. Burns are relieved I stuck with the short version of this rant. They've heard the long version ad nauseam.)

Irene Wilde

I don't own a T.V and have not owned for for about 6 years! :eek:

I don't like T.V. It just hold no interest to me at all. I find it far to passive too. You just sit there letting it wash over you liike a zombie. From time to time something will come on that you happen to like and you enjoy yourself, but most of the time you just sit there simply passing the time. This is NOT living but exisiting. I like the internet where I can go and find whatever subject that I find interersting and read about it, when I want, and where I want. Much better :D

Oh, and I read books :D

I watch TV. I just wish they'd air the shows and movies I want to watch when I have time to watch them... and that they'd stick their commercials where the sun don't shine.

lies said:
I watch TV. I just wish they'd air the shows and movies I want to watch when I have time to watch them... and that they'd stick their commercials where the sun don't shine.

TiVo.

If it ever gets really cheap, I'll probably watch a little TV.

No TV.

I guess I have a short attention span, because I really don't like to sit watching TV for very long. I watch the first ten minutes of the evening news about three times each week and watch a little TV before going to sleep at night because we have a TV in the bedroom and my wife likes to watch. I very rarely watch movies on television because I get distracted and end up thinking of something else I should be doing. In the past three years, I think I've been to the cinema five or six times.

I used to be addicted to the internet, chatting for hours and hours on IRC. Now I just check my e-mail, Book Forum, and look up a few things. Then I'm off to read or take care of other things.

We have a TV but like Litany its only used for watching DVD's and playing the PS2. Instead of watching TV we tend to either go on the internet or read :)

Back