• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Twilight

I read this in December of last year, and while I understand why teenagers would hold it in such high regard, I wasn't really impressed with it. I don't think that Meyer is a very good writer - she spends too much time pointing out the obvious rather than placing trust in the intelligence of her readers (although this could be because it is a YA novel) - and the romance was way over-done. We get that Edward makes her swoon and forget where she is whenever he smiles - stop mentioning it (especially when it's so cliche and unbelievable in the first place)!

Despite this, I was entertained. I may pick up the rest in the series. I just hope that she lays off the cheesiness a bit, because it was sending me into a bit of a cheese coma by the end of the book.

The reviews are so mixed. People love or hate this one.

Every time I hear about Twilight, it just reminds me of old Buffy the Vampire Slayer plotlines....

I think that Meyer had a good idea for a story. She knows how to draw a reader in, but...this book simply is a sort of teenage girl's day dream. I was a little concerned about Bella. As soon as she meets Edward, nothing, I mean, nothing else matters. I could be wrong, but it seemed like her love for him was based on his "hotness". We are given endless descriptions about how good-looking and perfect he is, despite him being an obsessive stalker. I got the idea through the whole book, that Edward is just too awesome for words oh NO- he doesn't do anything wrong! Plus- he sucks blood. And please don't give all the garbage about him being a vegetarian vampire. Doesn't anyone really realize that uh...it IS still BLOOD?? :confused: No? No one thinks about that? So what if it's not human blood? It is still blood. My word, what people find attractive these days is baffling. Oh, and I'm sorry, but taking an engine out of your girl-friend's car to prevent her from leaving, watching her while she sleeps, thinking she smells, well...let's just say it- yummy, is umm...not love. No. Love doesn't excuse those things anyways. Just because something is done in the name of love, does not make it alright. "Well, he loves her, so that means he can do anything he wants." It's a good story idea, but please, expound on the story, not on Edward. Good grief, we know what he looks like by now.

The concept is good, but the writing is so juvenile. I'm Meyer's target group and I got pretty irritated after reading Twilight. The book isn't worth all the hype.

I loved the story. But, I think that's because I loved Edward. The writing wasn't all that great, and after the second book, everything got very anti-climatic. Great idea for a story, but I definitely feel like it could have been written a bit better. Don't get me wrong, I've read all 4 books numerous times, because I am a die hard geek. :)

I seriously tried to read this.I could not,I just couldn't get through it with out making it feel like a chore reading it.Romance=crap,so I should have knew it was a awful book since Teens liked it(Even though I'm one,I read stuff over my age).

I never liked Vampires,I judge off the plot not the actual Vampires.The Vampires in The Dresden Files sparkled,but they were blood-lusting savages at least.Their Werewolves were better too than all of Twilight's.

Women are using their regained power over the picturehouse to trash their hard-won independence. What mysterious creatures they are.

Or 'one deeply disturbed woman wrote a book that appeals to pubescent girls who are too inexperienced to understand yet that stalking, obsession and control does not equal love, so some other people made a film out of it knowing that those girls would pay a bundle of cash to see it and then one lazy Guardian journalist extrapolated this to mean that women as a mass movement decided to give up some imagined power in a voluntary act of anti-feminism because he's too shit to write something decent or actually find some feminists to talk to and ask them their opinion on the franchise and if he did do his job properly he wouldn't get to pat the little ladies on their heads and go about his day with such a self satisfied glow.'

True heroes.

Bookstore | Bridgeport, OR, USA
Customer: “Hello, do you have any of the new Twilight books?”
Me: “Yes, they’re over here.”
(I lead her to where they would be, but we appear to be sold out. This is strange as all copies were put up this morning.)
Me: “That’s strange. We seem to be out of stock. Can I interest you in anything else?”
Customer: “Ugh, fine. What about this one?”
(They point towards ‘Harry Potter’.)
Me: “Oh, that’s a great book! It’s about a boy who becomes a wizard and-”
Customer: “Are there any werewolves?”
Me: “I think so. I haven’t read them in a while.”
(The customer grabs the entire series of ‘Harry Potter’ and leaves. As I’m about to return to my workstation, two teens run up to me, high-five each other, and tell me they hid all 70 copies of ‘Twilight’ in the ceiling when no one was looking. Although impressed, I have to report them to my manager. After doing so, my manager gives them each a $10 gift card.)

Back