• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Umberto Eco: The Name Of The Rose

SFG75

Read this one as part of a book of the month selection on another forum. I was very impressed with the intelligent way it was written, kind of a thinking person's Sherlock Holmes writer old Umberto is. I found it interesting how the different animosities between the religious orders and leadership was mentioned as if it were a current affair. I did a lot of researching and learned a lot from this good book, not to mention developing a humble respect for this man's work. Anyone else read this one? Any thoughts? :)

I read this book a very long time ago. Maybe 20 years ago. So while my memeory is quite hazy I can tell you that I also loved this book. You're comparison to a thinking man's Sherlock Holmes is, in my opinion, a good one. I was pretty young (maybe 16) when I read it and I remember the language being impressive and beautiful but within my limited grasp. Now that I've got a few more wrinkles, okay maybe more than a few, I'd like to reread this one. Eco is one of my favorite authors and The Name of The Rose was the book that started it for me.

SFG75 said:
I was very impressed with the intelligent way it was written, kind of a thinking person's Sherlock Holmes writer old Umberto is.

This novel, I suppose, is a thinking man's Sherlock Holmes and there is much reference to other texts throughout. The Hound of the Baskervilles being an obvious one to continue the Holmes analogy. The other big reference, if not part of the overall inspiration, is the works of Jorge Luis Borges. His literary obsession with labyrinths, mirrors and libraries - the more impossible the better - is pivotal to the book, as is the man himself when he appears thinly disguised as Jorges of Burgos, a blind man with a Spanish tongue to whom the aforementioned obsessions are intertwined.

But to call the author a writer of thinkers' Sherlock Holmes would be a mistake. The Name Of The Rose is a murder mystery, plain and not-so-simple. His other novels are a variety of complicated beasts.

Foucault's Pendulum, my favourite of Eco, is set in 1970s Milan and sets out to create one huge conspiracty theory involving a phenomenal cast of secret societies, religious bodies, politicians, and more and then debunks it all with one fell swoop. For those that think Dan Brown is the king of conspiracy novels, this book makes him look like a peasant.

The Island Of The Day Before, is a strange one. Set in the 17th Century on board a ship, Daphne, and our protagonist is stranded upon it. Nearby, there's an island but on the island it is always yesterday. The novel consists of many flashbacks to earlier times in the character's life and concerns itself more with nature than the religious stuff in the previous two novels. It seems to be the least favourite novel for Eco readers.

The nearest to The Name Of The Rose, in setting and content, would be Baudolino, but this novel is far more fantastic in content as it deals with the kingdom of Prester John and an expedition to find it. Real historical events blend effortlessly with fleshed out characters who have appeared in the writings of Sir John Mandeville and Marco Polo as they explored new lands, describing such impossible people as blemmyae, satyrs, cynocephali, panyote, and more. The novel follows the story of Baudolino, a liar. It's told in the third person so you don't quite get the sense of an unreliable narrator. Or do you? And, while not quite the medieval detective story that The Name of the Rose was, Baudolino features a remarkable locked room mystery in which no less than five possible - and plausible - explanations are invented and scrapped.

I was thinking about reading this book, but I heard that to really 'get it' you need to read some sort of companion book. is that really necessary?

No I don't think that it's necessary to read a companion book. I didn't and I was pretty young when I read it. However, I will concede that you may have a deeper understanding and perhaps, pick up on some of the subtle references if you do read one. Either way, it's a truly great book and you shouldn't pass it up.

You definitely don't need a companion book to read The Name of the Rose. It's a straightforward narrative, and the details and references are well within the average person's experience. It might help to have some knowledge of medieval Catholic practices and beliefs (which any Western Christian would probably have. I mean stuff like celibacy, the social stratum of the educated, self-inflicted punishment, acolytes, etc.) But even without that, it's just a murder mystery, and all the information you need to appreciate it is contained between the two covers.

I, for one, very much enjoyed The Name of the Rose simply as a mystery. The fact that it also dramatically portrays a world in which the most dangerous, or most coveted, or most feared, possessions were books. In this day and age, it is a staggering thought.
Foucault's Pendulum, even, prob'ly shouldn't be read with a companion book, or reference, the first time out. You'd never finish it. Stewart's assessment is pretty much spot on. What it says about knowledge, etc., is more sly and subtle than in TNOTR, but very, very good.
By the way, Stewart, thanks for the capsule review of Baudolino. I disliked The Island of the Day Before enough to give up on Eco. Now I guess I'll have to look for a copy of Baudolino.

I read TNotR over Christmas, and I have to say it was one of my favorite books I read last year. I enjoyed the murder mystery quite a lot, and all the discussion of medieval theology I found incredibly interesting.

Schattengesalt, I don't think you'll need a compendium. The style of the novel is pretty inclusive, with all of the action being seen through the eyes of a young monastic initiate who doesn't yet himself have a very good grasp on his own religion. It is a real credit to both Eco and the translator, I felt (and kind of goes along with the theme throughout the novel of language being used to obscure knowledge rather than communicate it.)

What I liked best about TNotR though was Eco's ability to show intelligent people from other time periods without any modern contempt for their perspectives. This is a shortcoming in a lot of lesser period pieces, I find.

I tried to start Foucault's Pendulum a few nights ago, but I found it a lot harder to get into, so I've put it on hold for now. I imagine I'll get around to it someday.

Thickney Focault's is really a great book. Give it a second chance. I enjoyed it even more than Rose (which I loved). The ending is fantastic and it's such an engrossing read.

drmjwdvm said:
Thickney Focault's is really a great book. Give it a second chance. I enjoyed it even more than Rose (which I loved). The ending is fantastic and it's such an engrossing read.
I probably will, I guess I just wasn't too much in the mood for it when I started it (ie 4 a.m. :p)

You definitely don't need a companion book to read The Name of the Rose. It's a straightforward narrative, and the details and references are well within the average person's experience. It might help to have some knowledge of medieval Catholic practices and beliefs (which any Western Christian would probably have. I mean stuff like celibacy, the social stratum of the educated, self-inflicted punishment, acolytes, etc.) But even without that, it's just a murder mystery, and all the information you need to appreciate it is contained between the two covers.

I am not quite sure that it is so easy to read The Name of the Rose and appreciate the entire story without having studied previously about Medieval History. I have read it two years ago, without having studied at school Medieval History, and I was completely unable to understand the behavior of the various characters. I plan to re-read it this summer, hoping to understand better their attitudes and appreciate the book not only for its gripping plot but also for its profound historical approach.
I agree, however, that a companion is not needed, unless you really want to read between the lines.

My apologies for being an ignoramus, but what is a companion reader? Is it kind of like a printed version of Spark's Notes?

I think that reading another book while reading The Name of the Rose would be a mistake, anyway.
You have to keep track of all the details and the characters, so you should have as less "distractions" as possible.
(Even if "distractions" are of a very high quality)

It's a straightforward narrative, and the details and references are well within the average person's experience.

Hmmmm
This is by no means a straightforward narrative. The allusions are tied very closely to Greek and roman culture, and medieval history as previously mentioned.
Borges is definitely an inspiration. What I miss from the comments here is what changes and drives the plot. This is both a great book, and at the same times a study in literary theory. He shows his on theory on the reader. The story is open so we can move and add to the plot, and at the same time he directs us around, to get the right pieces of the puzzle.

It is also worth noticing that the narrator has an effect on the events himself. It is like Eco is trying to tell us that everything changes when we study it. We as readers become part of the plot, as the narrator becomes part of the plot. We change the pages as much as the narrator does.

Eco is teaching us to read, by showing our effect on a story through the narrator’s effect on the murder mystery.

The truth is in the eye of the beholder – which is even more evident in Foucoult Pendulum. This book can be very hard to read, if you really try to get into it. A compendium is not necessary, but it could be a good thing as a supplement. Many of the references are not within the grasp of the average person; he/she would simply not have read enough…

-tZar

Back