• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Urban fantasy anyone?

kcmay

I've been a long-time fan of Charles de Lint, but he's the only urban fantasy writer I've read. I feel like I must be missing out on other wonderful authors/books in the genre. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Check out The Faery Reel for starters. Then pursue similar collections by Ellen Datlow and Teri Windling. I've read a few of them, and since it's been awhile, I see there are more now. Great stuff for Urban Fantasy buffs.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'd started reading American Gods, but I didn't like Neil Gaiman's writing style. It grated on me. I might see if I can read the opening of Neverwhere and see if it reads better in my head. :)

How about S.M. Stirling's The Change series?

Great series, but is it Urban Fantasy? I lump them in with alternative history. If you're going that route, might as well toss in the Ring of Fire series by Eric Flint and all of Harry Turtledove's work. My favorite is Turtledove's collaboration with Richard Dreyfuss on The Two Georges.

Urban Fantasy/Alternative History what's the difference?

Actually, I take that back. The Change series I wouldn't consider alternative history.

Caitlin R. Kiernan
Ilona Andrews
Jim Butcher

Kiernan's material can also be classified as horror, so tread carefully if you're not a fan of that genre.

Back