• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ursula K. Le Guin: The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas

Excellent story joderu.
The description of the boy was heartwrenching.Where he was saying "I will be good" brought tears to my eyes.
Is it really a utopia if even one is suffering?

Is it really a utopia if even one is suffering?

Not for that person anyway. And you're right it isn't. In fact I read this story first in an anthology about dystopias and after having heard good things about it from other people.

Really provocative story especially for being so short. I've only read a few other things by Le Guin but all were really good.

Really provocative story especially for being so short. I've only read a few other things by Le Guin but all were really good.

I will look into more of her work.
Yes,makes you think.I was asking myself how they could live with themselves and then it occured that we live with things every day and don't do anything about them.

Have you seen the movie Unthinkable?

I saw unthinkable Libra, and would love to hear your thoughts..... not to threadjack or anything. I can picture that movie being played in community college ethics classes all across the country for the next 10 years.

I saw unthinkable Libra, and would love to hear your thoughts..... not to threadjack or anything. I can picture that movie being played in community college ethics classes all across the country for the next 10 years.

This short story reminded me of the part in the ending,where for the sake of all,they were willing to go to unthinkable measures to get the information out of him.

I had to cover my eyes alot of the times.

This short story reminded me of the part in the ending,where for the sake of all,they were willing to go to unthinkable measures to get the information out of him.

I had to cover my eyes alot of the times.

You watch it thinking, no they can't do that! Then your next thought is : Damn they can't not do that!
Sort of the ultimate moral quandry. I can't say I liked the movie, but I definitely couldn't stop watching it.

You watch it thinking, no they can't do that! Then your next thought is : Damn they can't not do that!
Sort of the ultimate moral quandry. I can't say I liked the movie, but I definitely couldn't stop watching it.

Yes! I think it happens,decisions like this,in life.We just don't know about them.

Did you read the short story?

Back