• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Using video games to hook readers?

SFG75

Yep, some people say that is the way of the future, the Times has an excellent article on the matter.

In advance of the publication of “Brisingr,” the third book in the best-selling “Inheritance” fantasy series by Christopher Paolini, Random House Children’s Books commissioned an online game. About 51,000 people have signed up since June to play and chat on message boards on the site.

But doubtful teachers and literacy experts question how effective it is to use an overwhelmingly visual medium to connect youngsters to the written word. They suggest that while a handful of players might be motivated to pick up a book, many more will skip the text and go straight to the game. Others suggest that video games detract from the experience of being wholly immersed in a book.

We've had threads like this before and I have always tended to be more on the Luddite side of things. I don't believe the naysayer teachers have a valid point on this one. Kids finding an interest in games, games that encourage reading, will in turn, find books on what they are interested in reading about and the rest wil be history. Leave it up to the population that says don't read what you're intersted in as to whether or not this technology will work.:innocent: Both of my older boys used the leapster learnig pad which had a lot of fun educational games to learn their letters and numbers. I believe it was an excellent supplement to our own efforts to teach them. It certainly, didn't hurt matters at all.

I don't see why not. Look at the success of the Forgotten Realms, Halo, and Warhammer series of books, to name a few.

I see benefits and drawbacks.

The largest drawback though would have to be the discontinuity of imagination and visual cues. Meaning, that what readers tend to imagine while doing just that, and what gamers see while playing the game are two seperate things.

I thought that one of the wonders of the book was your own original ideas, images, voices, etc, etc... Adding cues from a game would be like turning a beautiful piece of literature into a B-list movie. Or any movie for that matter, they never seem to live up to the books original magic.

It would really have to be something good to ensure that it isn't mindless, uncreative drivel.

My son only really plays Guitar Hero on PS2. It seemed to help him learn and play a real guitar. He started playing both the video game and the real one about the same time. Now, recently, he's just playing his guitar. Hasn't had much interest in the video game.

It depends upon your demographic. If you have a website, making a video and posting it on Youtube is another way to generate some 'buzz'.

Back