• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

V for Vendetta

SFG75

This movie is a product of the Wachowski brothers, the nice chaps who brought us The Matrix movies. The movie is based on a book by Alan Moore and concerns a totalitarian England run by a cruel and oppressive leader. Though unlike the book, the film makes no mention of the Thatcher years leading up to that point.:rolleyes: I for one, definitely plan on seeing this. The official website is quite snazzy.:cool:

I've read the graphic novel, and thought it was great. In it Moore said he was still learning while writing the book, and said to excuse him for obvious amateur mistakes in the book. I couldn't for the life of me find out what he meant, cause I thought everything was great!

I'm expecting the movie to suck. Alan Moore has mentioned before he wanted nothing to do with film adaptations of his work anymore, and if you pay attention to the credits, the film is credited to a book by David Lloyd, who, of course, was the artist.

ds

p.s. I heard one of the W brothers wanted to do a sex change and become a woman. Is this true? This is a huge problem for me - what we we call them then? Wachowski siblings?

Here's an interview with Moore about "V For Vendetta" and movies of his works in general. He is, to use an understatement, not completely happy with either.

To him, the movie adaptation of "V for Vendetta," which opens on Friday, is not the biggest platform yet for his ideas: it is further proof that Hollywood should be avoided at all costs. "I've read the screenplay," Mr. Moore said. "It's rubbish."

I've a hard time guessing your favourite drink, beer_good. Could it be fruit juice?

ds

p.s. Great name, btw. :)

Yeah, I had heard that Moore didn't want his name on the credits for whatever reason. Leave it to Hollywood to slaughter the storyline of a good book.:rolleyes: I am impressed with how the W brothers try to think outside of the box. It's rare to find a movie that has an interesting premise and a deep philosophy behind it. I give them a lot of credit for that. At least now, a bunch of people might desire to know who in the world Guy Fawkes was. Might have to check out Amazon and load up on Moore's other works. I'll then have to balance that out with some Wharton, who recently passed away.

SFG75 said:
Might have to check out Amazon and load up on Moore's other works.

Me too. I've been meaning to buy some of his other work, but have never got around to it. The only work of Moore's I've read is his work in 2000AD comic; The Ballad of Halo Jones, DR and Quinch etc. (My username comes from the former title.) I certainly recommend Halo Jones, though the viewpoint (mostly in the first book of the three) might be too feminine for some. :) But don't worry, you get future war in book three!

direstraits said:
I've a hard time guessing your favourite drink, beer_good. Could it be fruit juice?

ds

p.s. Great name, btw. :)
Thanks, and likewise if yours refers to the band - at least the first four albums. :D

p.s. I heard one of the W brothers wanted to do a sex change and become a woman. Is this true? This is a huge problem for me - what we we call them then? Wachowski siblings?
Yeah, something like that. Lenny Nero sent me a link from rollingstone.com about it.

Also:
Moore notably complained the script was "imbecilic" and contained "plot holes you couldn't have got away with in Whizzer And Chips in the nineteen sixties. Plot holes no one had noticed." As per his wishes, Moore's name does not appear in the film's closing credits.

I read an interview with David Lloyd (co-creator and illustrator). He said he liked it. He also said that Moore wouldn't like any film based on his work unless it was done word for word, scene for scene.

Well, Paul & I saw it Friday... there were great scenes... but for the most part, I side with Moore. But you know, it's hard to watch any movie after reading the book (since the book is usually better). There were a lot of parts of the movie where I wish they stuck with the original... but as Lloyd said, you have to take into account the time you have to work with and also the updated time setting. I say... 6.5 out of 10... :shrug:

Links:
David Lloyd interview:
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22672

Alan Moore comments:
http://comicbookresources.com/columns/index.cgi?column=litg&article=2153

Larry Wachowski:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/9138137/the_mystery_of_larry_wachowski

Okay, watched the film. The book wins, hands down. Well, pointing downwards, anyway.

It wasn't really that bad, and the film's portrayal of Evey's prison scene was quite well done - I had wondered how they were going to do that.

Stephen Fry was a wrong cast, however. I kept imagining him doing silly things everytime he came on screen. The part where he did to them it wasn't really funny.

Portman is no Renee Zellweger - she sounds English at the beginning and American at the end. She is, however, much much better looking than Renee. :D

Like Libre, I give 6.5 out of 10.

Libre, in the book, can you guess who he was actually?

ds

I'm going to be seeing this soon... I have been salavating for ages. You guys are raining on my parade! ;) Please don't say it's pants! Say it aint so! I might come away getting more from it because although I know the book I have never actually read it.

I think Alan Moore's complaints are justified. The changes to to ending were unnecessary so I can understand why the author would be mad about the script. I was disappointed to see the Finch and Creedy's roles in the ending mixed around. Also Finch was well on his way to his original ending by visiting Larkhill but then just comes back to his office instead. Oh well.

However I did still enjoy the movie because V was played so well. I also really liked the casting of Stephen Rea as Finch a lot. John Hurt is good to but I don't think it was really necessary to have him act through a Big Screen TV all the time.

The reviews on the movie have only been so - so. However, I very seldom pay strict attention to movie reviews as I find that I usually enjoy movies they pan. :)

Direstraits, I responded in your other thread.

Also... I didn't like how
they tried to do a little romance between V and Evey. :rolleyes: Why does everyone feel that there has to be something like that in every story? Like in "Hitchhiker's Guide," the little romance between Trillion and Arthur in the film just didn't work for me.

Also, my favorite things in stories is character development... and it was portrayed beautifully in the graphic novel, but not as much in the film. Evey was already strong and mature and knowledgeable of literature, etc. So her transformation wasn't that big of a deal for me. Thus, it played down the cell/torture/Valerie letter scene. It wasn't as powerful.

-LibrA ;) :p

I was also just thinking about how it sucks that they eliminated two major characters from the graphic novel... (well, major in my opinion)... can you guess who I'm talking about? :p (Although, I have a feeling, no one will respond to this post :rolleyes: )

I havent actually read the comic book so i cant compare, but i thought the movie was pretty good for a action flick.

But having seen how they butchered The league of Extraordinary Gentlemen i can only imagine what they did to V for Vendetta.

This movie was AMAZING. Great action, great story, and awesome acting. The dialogue and symbolism were superb. You leave the theater and V's words really stick with you.

I understand that Hollywood was to keep a balance between good and bad movies. Recently ive been dissapointed with the caliber of movies but this one...this one put my confidence right back up. This film puts the good movies way up higher.

8/10

Okay, this one finally came out on DVD. Rented it yesterday and watched it. I do have to agree with the criticis on more than one point. First and foremost, how eery is it to watch the film in light of what all has gone on around the world? The wife and I couldn't help but commenting on that. The whole "peace through strength" thing and allusion to the "American war" was quite unnerving, in a moving, positive way. Second, I loved the action scenes and the acting was good. While not entirely unpredictable, you could tell the actors did their best.

I watched the movie a few weeks ago and enjoyed it, but I have not read the book so there was nothing to compare it too. I shall see if I can find a copy to read, however.

V's bedroom is like my perfect place with books stacked everywhere. A man after my own heart!

V's bedroom is like my perfect place with books stacked everywhere. A man after my own heart!

I so know what you mean!.:D If only we all could be ensconced in a hideaway chock full of books.

Back