• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vladimir Nabokov: Glory

Peder wrote--And then, always, the winding path through the forest that you have picked up twice. A metaphor perhaps for his whole life and perhaps also a prefiguring of events to come. And the "huge trees" perhaps an indication of the ominous and nearly overwhelming surroundings and giants that he felt he had to slay in real life. A winding path through looming challenges that just never stopped unwinding before him. Never a walk across a sunny field full of flowers with a warm breeze carrying the fragrance of fresh cut hay. No, never for Martin.
I think you have exactly caught the essense of Martin with this. That is exactly what Life was to Martin. He could never overcome the "challenges" of his life to his own satisfaction. He was dissatisfied with the way his life turned out. He felt he could make no real life connections with people. In the beginning after his father died, he could not admit how much it upset him. It really struck me that he wouldn't even discuss the death with his closest friends at the time Nicky, Lida, and her brother Kolya. I seem to remember Lida and Kolya had an older brother Ivanov that was killed in a battle, so they could understand Death.....Martin clammed up. :(

Peder said:
SIL,
Yes, I think that whole section of the book is utterly amazing and beautiful, and to my limited knowledge of Nabokov it sounds so unlike him. I've always seen him, and his characters, as urban or suburban dwellers, earning livings in colleges or offices or publisher's surroundings, but never before by manual labor and the toil of farming or the land. And he writes it so beautifully, nevertheless! It was a complete revelation to me.
Peder

I love you guys for being so kind to these characters, and for giving this story so much care and respect. I'm resisting a desire to skip around and skim, which would be a sinful thing to do with any of VN's writings. I'm feeling a lot like a Negative Nelly here.

I guess I just don't care all that much about Martin or Sonia. I'm longing to get on to another Nabokov book that enthralls me as much as Lolita did, and I haven't even finished Glory yet! I'm imagining that the egocentric little twerp falls off the side of a cliff in the end, and that won't break my heart. :p

Am I just displaying my hard-heartedness and shallowness of character ? :eek:

LOL SIL! To me the ending is like running, and running, and finally at the end, you don't really see it coming, and run right off the cliff (you know the cliff that you didn't see!). Total Free Fall. but I will say this, he doesn't fall off a cliff....... :D

or

BAM! :cool:

I know I have appreciated Martin in retrospect more that in real reading time. /shrugs/

StillILearn said:
I love you guys for being so kind to these characters, and for giving this story so much care and respect. Am I just displaying my hard-heartedness and shallowness of character ? :eek:
SIL,
Absolutely not! Please! What I think yoiu are saying is that you are exactly like the rest of us. Martin and Sonia are not appealing characters; neither were Lolita nor Humbert. But, just as in that case, I have found that looking past the characters is what led to the fuller appreciation of the book. And here, as in Lolita, the rereading has made all the difference. One knows what the characters are and what they do. So one can begin to put the pieces together and wonder about the overall story. With the characters out of the way one can see the purple mud, and feel Martin's ecstasy, and share his happiness at seeing the lights, and share his sorrow, and finally wish happiness for him.

So I would suggest resisting the urge to skim or skip, but instead to stick with it, as if reading a detective story, perhaps, because this eventually does turn into a detective story that leaves one trying to piece it together, make sense of it, and fathom the motives of the characters. And also wonder "What if...?"

To me it feels like vintage Nabokov, once one stops being irritated by Martin and Sonia and, I admit, a feeling at times that Nabokov is wandering rather aimlessly over the landscape. But it finally all fits and makes a single heart-breaking story.

I hope you stick with it, to at least learn the ending, (and no cheating :) )
Peder

PS You'll go a long way to find another story like Lolita. I don't think anyone can promise you another one of those in your lifetime. And that's no fault of yours. We all wish. :) :) :)
P

Act 4

If Act III was the story of Sonia, then Act IV is surely the story of Martin.

After graduating from Cambridge he goes home to his uncle's where he endures his uncle's skepticism that he has learned anything useful -- or even anything at all -- but also receives his mother's unquestioning love.
His mother did not pester him with the tedious talk of which Uncle Henry was so fond; she did not inquire what occupation he would choose, feeling as she did that this would somehow work out by itself. She was satisfied with the happiness at hand - of his being with her now, healthy, broad shouldered, tanned...
Life moves along slowly as the seasons change and, finally, almost a year after graduation he can wait no longer and decides to visit Sonia. Almost needless to say, he comes up no higher in her estimation than before at college, even through several visits with her. Once however, he finds common interest in a shared reverie about an imaginary Zoorland, which they together create in imaginary detail and whose imaginary customs and laws they study.

He supports himself by teaching tennis and serving easy balls to learners until his arm hurts. Later he travels southward and works as a day laborer and in the fields where he becomes tanned and robust physically. Seeing a house for sale, he even thinks of settling right there, but Sonia will have none of it and reacts with both scorn at that thought and with emphatic annoyance that he keeps "pestering" her.

Through his travels, however, he learns that he can present himself as any of a number of different nationalities, including English, and be accepted unquestioningly by the local people. He views this talent as useful training for that dangerous mission that has lain dormant as an idea for about two years, but which finally and slowly begins to reassert itself again in his thinking.

He arrives back home to his mother's great joy and, in response to her query, he answers in a placating way
"You've come for a long, long time now," she kept repeating..
"Generally speaking, yes. I'll just have to go to Berlin on business in about a fortnight, then I'll return."
He seeks out Gruzinov who is famous throughout the émigré community
.....the mysterious Gruzinov..... who, according to information Martin had gathered, emerged as man of great adventures, a terrorist, a very special spy, and the mastermind of recent peasant revolts against the Soviet rule.
Martin asks him about routes through Latvia to the Russian border and advice on crossing the border over into Russia. Martin says he is asking on behalf of "a friend of his," a charade that Gruzinov surely recognizes and sees through. Finally Gruzinov hands the map back to Martin with meaningful advice
Tell Nicky to stay at home and find something constructive to do. A nice fellow I'm sure, and it would be a pity if he lost his way.
Martin is annoyed at the advice and, more than ever, resolves to pursue his plan.
Good-byes are said to his mother and uncle for his "short business trip" to Berlin, and he heads off to carry out his clandestine project to secretly cross the border over into Russia.

It has been a long time in the coming -- and in the telling -- but finally Martin has his mission in his head and is embarked on it with clear conscience and at peace with himself.

Peder

Peder said:
Pontalba,
That looks to me like the second syllable is being emphasized, except i don't know how a British "awkward" sounds.
It's all very awkward. :rolleyes: :cool:
Peder

Ahem... (Brit) Or kwd (American) Aww kwd :confused: :eek: :eek: :p :p

Hellooo, hellooo, yes I am still here - just. It's taken me awhile just to catch up on the threads - although I must confess to a little speed reading, otherwise I'd not be here:D

I can understand what SIL means - I had a hard time reading Glory. But not because it was, to use a TBF common word, crap. The artistry of the book cannot be denied - I just found it a little slow going with the action. I loved the characters and their journies and experiences through life. And at the end of the day that's what the book was really about - people and their lives (mainly Martin) and their own interpretations and interactions with one another.

The ending was unexpected and a bit of a cliffhanger and it did leave me wondering where/what/how with regard to our daydreamer. As to his reasons for making this journey.... I am sure I read somewhere in the pages of Glory Martin musing about making dreams come true. And so towards the end I began to wonder if his trip was Martin's way of making one of his dreams/reveries come true. His failure with securing a lasting and loving relaltionship failed with Sonia. His failure to live his life in the mainstream - specifically thinking about a career here. And just may be he was an adventurer at heart which is why he didn't (or couldn't) settle for that steady job. I thought he was rather brave taking his trip to find that town with the lights and perhaps that was just a precurser to his final trip - a sort of testing of the waters. Even though we're left wondering if indeed he didn't find the right town after all. But even if it wasn't he made it work - for him.

OK - I'm done rambling. No laughing please:eek: I'm off - got places to go, people to see, things to do....

Take it easy fellow Nabokovians.

SIL,
I first put together "Act 3" and then "Act 4" above as exercises for myself, to try to get the story down to manageable complexity, and to try to figure out the Martin character and why he decided to shift from daydreaming to a death defying mission. There are many things that are left out, as not relating directly to Martin's development. But perhaps those brutally simplified skeleton outlines might help you to stay on the path as you read on. They are far from telling the whole story, but they are at least breadcrumbs along the way, I think.
I sincerely hope they help,

Peder

Breaca said:
I can understand what SIL means - I had a hard time reading Glory. But not because it was, to use a TBF common word, crap. The artistry of the book cannot be denied - I just found it a little slow going with the action. I loved the characters and their journies and experiences through life. And at the end of the day that's what the book was really about - people and their lives (mainly Martin) and their own interpretations and interactions with one another.

The ending was unexpected and a bit of a cliffhanger and it did leave me wondering where/what/how with regard to our daydreamer. As to his reasons for making this journey.... I am sure I read somewhere in the pages of Glory Martin musing about making dreams come true. And so towards the end I began to wonder if his trip was Martin's way of making one of his dreams/reveries come true. His failure with securing a lasting and loving relaltionship failed with Sonia. His failure to live his life in the mainstream - specifically thinking about a career here. And just may be he was an adventurer at heart which is why he didn't (or couldn't) settle for that steady job. I thought he was rather brave taking his trip to find that town with the lights and perhaps that was just a precurser to his final trip - a sort of testing of the waters. Even though we're left wondering if indeed he didn't find the right town after all. But even if it wasn't he made it work - for him.
Breaca,
If that was rambling, then that was the nicest and most insightful rambling I have seen! I think it is fascinating that Nabokov managed to condense such broad scope and so many characters into a relatively short novel of 200 pages. That doesn't make it easy to read, but it does provide considerable food for thought about these characters lives and their interactions. But you said it best
...at the end of the day that's what the book was really about - people and their lives (mainly Martin) and their own interpretations and interactions with one another.

Peder

Zoorland

I think the Zoorland episode is just wonderful to read. For once in the book, Martin and Sonia, and Nabokov, all climb on the same train going in the same direction.
Something they discussed that day led to a series of quite special exchanges between them. .. Martin vaguely alluded to having joined a secret group of Anti-Bolshevist conspirators that organized reconaissance operations....
Sonia ...stretched out on the ground ... put her arms behind her head ..... and said she too often had thought about it -- a land where ordinary mortals were not admitted.
"What shall we call that land?" asked Martin, suddenly recollecting the games with Lida on the Crimean fairy-tale shore.
"Some northern name.."
"Zoorland, for example" said Martin. "A Norman mariner mentions it."
"Yes of course, Zoorland," Sonia concurred and he grinned broadly, somewhat astounded by her suddenly revealed capacity for daydreaming. [She continued] I can tell you all about it. Winters are cold there and monster icicles hang from the eaves like organ pipes.....Oh, I can tell you everything about it. They recently passed a law that all inhabitants must shave their heads....
"Equality of heads," said Martin....
They studied Zoorlandian customs and laws....Sometimes during the geneal conversation -- at table for instance -- Sonia would suddenly turn to him and quickly whisper
"Have you heard, there's a new law forbidding caterpillars to pupate?" or "I forgot to tell you [the chieftan] has ordered physicians to stop casting around and to treat all illnesses in exctly the same way."

In terms of the story, I find it wonderful that, for once, Martin found Sonia receptive and discovered a common ground of interest that they could share, perhaps endlessly. And it was clear, since she could tell him all about Zoorland on the spur of the moment, that she had been enjoying reveries of her own, fully as well as he had. For once they truly had something in common.

It is also amusing that when it turns to the laws and customs, Nabokov gets his chance to mock the Bolshevist regime through Martin's and Sonia's discussions of Zoorland. Equality of heads, is given a wry new meaning by Nabokov. And forbidding caterpillars to pupate may have been the highest height of folly that VN the lepidopterist could possibly imagine -- as if one might ask the world to stop spinning. And treat all illnesses the same way? More utter nonsense. There is no concealing here what VN thought of that new regime in his motherland!

Later on, VN gives it a very much sharper edge, after Martin learns how ruffians and rowdies on a crowded train in southern Russia violated the 14-yr-old Irina despite her mother's protests and her unavailing attempts to protect and console her child.
The night of Zoorland seemed to him even darker, its wildwood deeper, and Martin already knew that nothing and nobody could prevent him from penetrating, as a free pilgrim, into those woods, where plump children are tortured in the dark..."
Here VN's mockery finally turns to outright hatred of the Bolshevists.

However, returning to Martin and Sonia, Zoorland was one of the charming times that can be counted on one hand, where they truly enjoyed each other's company. But, all too quickly, it also evaporated. What might have been,...

Peder

Peder said:
Martin is annoyed at the advice and, more than ever, resolves to pursue his plan.
That is what annoyed me the most! He goes to the man for advice, but when it disagrees with what Martin "thinks" or "wants", well, lets disregard it all together!

Grrrrrrr......:(

pontalba said:
That is what annoyed me the most! He goes to the man for advice, but when it disagrees with what Martin "thinks" or "wants", well, lets disregard it all together!

Grrrrrrr......:(
Pontalba,
I can only agree with you on that! Grrrrrrr, included. That goes somewhat beyond daydreaming. :(
Peder

StillILearn said:
I'm resisting a desire to skip around and skim, which would be a sinful thing to do with any of VN's writings. I'm feeling a lot like a Negative Nelly here.
Am I just displaying my hard-heartedness and shallowness of character ? :eek:
If you skip, you'll miss something relevant. So don't. ;)
And no, neither, just common sense, which is something Martin sorely lacks! :(

SIL,
How far are you? We're a support group here, and nobody is going to giggle or throw stones. And negative reactions are as welcome as positive ones. Everything is discussable here. So please don't feel rejected by any means.
:)?
Peder

During the meal Martin showed Irina how to cross the second and third fingers so that you could touch a single small pellet of bread and feel two. For a long time she was unable to adjust her fingers properly, but when at last, with Martin's assistance, the pellet divided into two under her touch, Irina cooed with rapture. p. 189

I'm longing for the much touted ending. (I just actually counted the pages. )These folks are boring me to death here, with the exception of the above passage, of course. As soon as I can get me some white bread to play with I'm going to try this. I vow to wow them at cocktail and dinner parties. ;)

pontalba said:
LOL SIL! To me the ending is like running, and running, and finally at the end, you don't really see it coming, and run right off the cliff (you know the cliff that you didn't see!). Total Free Fall. but I will say this, he doesn't fall off a cliff....... :D

or

BAM! :cool:

I know I have appreciated Martin in retrospect more that in real reading time. /shrugs/

I'm trustin' ya on this one, pontalba. Sixteen more pages. Here I go!

16, 15, 14, 13, 12, .........
You're doing it, you're doing it!
11, 10, 9, 8, 7,
Almost! Almost!
6, 5, 4, 3
The crowd is holding its breath ........
Still holding .......
Here comes Brian Lamb to interview the winner ....
Pretty soon ....
Uh-oh, it looks like she is getting ready to throw the book .....
And? And?
/everyone ducking/

We owe ya one SIL!
:) :) :)
Peder

Back