• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vladimir Nabokov: Lolita

Mmm, yeah well I'm not that far behind you. And we do so appreciate your words of wisdom and this age thingy certainly hasn't dimmed your wit nor your humour. So you're not doing too bad for a gal of er, mmm, a few years behind her she says delicately;) Oh well, this spring chicken needs her beauty sleep so I'm off to slumberland - besides, I've now got a sizeable bump on the old noggin from you know what:eek: You're supposed to be setting a good example:mad:

Goodnight, Bonsoir, see ya anon

Hey! Jes cause I'm old, doesn't mean I have to set a good example!
Oh please say it ain't so! :eek: /the aged crone spake../ :rolleyes:
Ice, remember ice!

Breaca what about this? :D
10ptsub.jpg

Gem said:
Peder,

Thats so very sweet of you, you had me at pastry ;) If i'd known about the pastries i'd have popped in earlier :D

Pontalba,

A friend of a Friend brought up Nabokov at dinner the other day. He mentioned the possibility of a riddle in Lolita and Nabokovs own childhood experience with his uncle. So of course while i sat and pretended to listen I was really thinking 'hhmmm..I wonder if Peder, Steffee, StillIlearn and Pontalba have come across this yet, and what must they think of it?' :rolleyes:
Gem,
Wonderful! You are now Confirmed!
And you see why we always leave the coffee and pastry on the sideboard overnight. There are those that just can't sleep, so feel free whenever, 24/7. :)
I've just dug out from under a minor busyness here and am finally going to get to your link in a serious manner. But it first reminded me that I also have had Freud and Nabokov sitting here unloved in my stack. So I'll do them both and this will be an F&N weekend. Actually the book F&N quickly reminded me why I didn't much care for it, the least of it being that it wasn't at all what I expected. However, your link seems much more engaging and personable so I expect I am going to enjoy that fully. Now we'll see what the Freudalysts have to say for themselves. :)
Peder

Oh yummy! Way to go! :) :) :)
So that's where you are when you are not here? :D
Or do they serve books also?
Just asking. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'll be the tall one with three Nabokovs,
And maybe a Lolita or two, :rolleyes:
Peder

Gem said:
A friend of a Friend brought up Nabokov at dinner the other day. He mentioned the possibility of a riddle in Lolita and Nabokovs own childhood experience with his uncle. So of course while i sat and pretended to listen I was really thinking 'hhmmm..I wonder if Peder, Steffee, StillIlearn and Pontalba have come across this yet, and what must they think of it?' :rolleyes:
:D :D

That does sound familiar!

sshhhh!! don't tell Everyone! This is an elite group doncha know? Only posters in good (LOL) standing can get into this excursion.:eek: :cool: :D

Avatars with either blue or green.....or blue/green and trees. :D

pontalba said:
this is an experiment..... :rolleyes:

10pqbme.jpg
Yay, well done Pontalba!

Bring
Your
Own
Book

I'll be the one in the (faux) leopard cape.
Nabokov in tow.....
:D :D

Peder said:
Oh yummy! Way to go!
So that's where you are when you are not here?
Or do they serve books also?
Just asking.

Anyway, I'll be the tall one with three Nabokovs,
And maybe a Lolita or two,
Peder
[smiles] You crack me up, Peder. And yum yum, count me in Pontalba. :D

I found this comment in a review of Lesbian pulp fiction. I thought you guys might find it interesting:

"I've often thought that Nabokov must have stolen the cross-country car trip in Lolita (1958) from Highsmith's novel: Therese and Carol, budding sexual outlaws, travel across the same kitschy, motel-studded, American highway landscape later traversed by Humbert and Lolita. And as in Lolita, the sexual tension grows—almost unbearably—with each night the pair spend in cheap hostels or tourist cabins."

http://www.slate.com/id/2142254/

Doug Johnson said:
I found this comment in a review of Lesbian pulp fiction. I thought you guys might find it interesting:

"I've often thought that Nabokov must have stolen the cross-country car trip in Lolita (1958) from Highsmith's novel: Therese and Carol, budding sexual outlaws, travel across the same kitschy, motel-studded, American highway landscape later traversed by Humbert and Lolita. And as in Lolita, the sexual tension grows—almost unbearably—with each night the pair spend in cheap hostels or tourist cabins."

Well, that was an interesting little sidebar, Doug. There's no end to where the converstion might go when the name Nabokov comes up. :)

Doug Johnson said:

Doug,
Interesting but not so surprising any more. Nabokov has been accused of stealing other things, including Lolita herself and the entire Lolita plot, and one tends to be shocked the first time one hears such a thing, but then the thrill wears off. Recently there is also discussion of his borrowing ideas from Petrarch for the opening lines and scene of Pale Fire.

I'm inclined more to believe that one is seeing the fact that there are only a certain number of set pieces to organize a story around, and one of them is a road trip. Think of Don Quixote for example, but I don't see any suggestion that Highsmith stole her idea from Cervantes. Going further there is the idea that there is only one story at the root of all stories, the story of how a person meets the challenges of life and copes with them, if I paraphrase that correctly.
Lately I've been reading Nabokov's version of a detective story -- The Real Life of Sebastian Knight. Guess what! The detective goes through the story interviewing one potential witness after another until he can finally solve the mystery. Sound familiar? Name any half dozen authors!

I might have preferred that slate had shown enough respect for Nabokov to suggest that he stole his story from Cervantes rather than from Highsmith. :D He definitely knew Don Quixote from one end to the other. :D But Nabokov didn't have to go that far anyway. His own novels, echoing scenes from his own younger life, have no shortage of cross-country trips, including Sebastian Knight.

And BTW, can anyone spell Thelma and Louise? :) Or Canterbury Tales? :)
But I'm very glad you keep us in mind. We find Nabokov fascinating and all is definitely grist for the mill here. And come to think of it, it has been a long while since SFG has injected one of his mind-bending posts into the discussion. Are you perhaps thinkiing of joining us?. I am sure we all hope so and would find that very enjoyable. Come on over. :)

Among other reasons, Nabokov is fun to read and talk about, and we still have a long way to go.
Sincerely,
Peder

We really do still have a long way to go, and I'm glad! I'm enjoying The Real Life very much, and I'm looking forward to reading all of VN's works. I'm very glad he didn't only write Lolita. Can you imagine how bereft we'd all be if that had been the case? How many of them have you read by now, Peder?

pontalba?

Maybe Shade will join in when we eventually work our way up to Pale Fire.

Not as many as you may think SIL, but I have to wait for daylight to count them.
Just too tired to count them in my head. :(
Pulling the plug here.
CU tmw,
Peder

Peder, I just know you have electricity. You have made mention of having to wait for daylight to do something or other before this. Now I'm curious. :confused:

Maybe you just mean that it's just late and you're tired? Well, nighty night. CU in the AM 2. :)

Back