• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vladimir Nabokov

Peder and all:

It seemed to me that discussion of Nabokov has built from Lolita being TBOTM to something more substantial. You've moved on to 'The Enchanter' (it was me that mentioned it to you Peder) and then to a more in depth look at the man himself; and of late I'd noticed you seem to be searching for another of his books to concentrate on. I got the impression that there were a core of members who were keen to explore the man and his works further; if so it may make sense to have somewhere that things are held together. That way if someone is a fan of Lolita they can first find that thread then see there are also discussions on a number of his other books, his work as a translator, his life in general etc and may be encouraged to read his lesser known work and participate further.

I wasn’t suggesting that ‘Glory’ be your next book to examine, more that it’s on my shelf ripe for a re-read. If there are a number of people interested in exploring Nabokov further then a sub-forum for him, there is already one for Harry Potter, could allow some people to discuss the ‘next on the list’ whilst others could read something else of his and start a thread with a review. That way all Nabakov stuff can been seen in one place, and a particular book can be discussed whilst other threads are set up in readiness for if and when people want to move on to them.

Steffee:

The Russian Literature Sub-Forum idea seems a good one to me. It would certainly allow me to pull my finger out and re-read and review some of the more ‘off the beaten path’ Russian books I like (I suspect there would be plenty of takers for the better known stuff). Who knows, perhaps we could get Sergo in there to talk crap to me about Russian Poetry again? All is possible.

K-S

Kenny,
Yes, Harry Potter is a good precedent, I now see.
And it seems like a growing consensus here for the idea.
You've been here a lot longer than I have, know your way around better, and have the broader agend for such a set up. Would you care to carry the ball with the mods for getting it to happen?
Peder

Steffee,
I think you asked if anyone cared to read Mary.
Yes, I'll gladly read and discuss Mary, and any other book any one suggests. I have nearly all the novels and am infinitely flexible. Borders is just down the road a bit. :D
Peder

steffee said:
LOL Pontalba. :D

You've just reminded me that I need to go back to my uni library! How could I have forgotten?! :rolleyes:

And do you remember when Peder mentioned in his first post that nobody here had read all of Nabokov's works? I think you could possibly own them all. ;)

Not Yet.:eek:

Peder said:
Steffee,
I think you asked if anyone cared to read Mary.
Yes, I'll gladly read and discuss Mary, and any other book any one suggests. I have nearly all the novels and am infinitely flexible. Borders is just down the road a bit. :D
Peder
And I'll have it in a few days.....:p

But we must not forget Timofey (Pnin).

I can post a request in the Suggestions forum or PM the mods if you like but I would have thought it best to come from one of the major contributors to the Nabokov discussions.

I'd suggest that the amount of posts in the various Nabokov threads give some weight to the suggestion:

"Discussion: Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita" - 2092 posts in just under three months
"Nabokov - The Enchanter" - 614 posts in 35 days
"Everything Nobakov" - 64 posts in ten hours!

In total that's more than half the existing boards.

I'd pitch it like this:

Kenny "Full of ideas today" Shovel said:
it may make sense to have somewhere that things are held together. That way if someone is a fan of Lolita they can first find that thread then see there are also discussions on a number of his other books, his work as a translator, his life in general etc and may be encouraged to read his lesser known work and participate further.

However, first job is to work out if people are more interested in a Nabakov sub-forum or a Russian Literature one.

EDIT: One other line of Nabokov discussion would be a comparison between his, very literal and quite controversial, translation of Pushkin's "Eugine Onyegin" and other versions.

K-S

I think it might become too confusing if its a blanket "Russian Literature" forum. Also, Nabokov is of course Russian, but wrote at least half (?) of his novels in English, so IMO would not strictly come under Russian Lit.
Really, is Lolita the first thing (or on the list at all) you think of in connection with Russian Lit.?

Thats just my gut reaction. Gathering Nabokov threads together would probably be a logical idea, but to mix in with others?

Why not both?

pontalba said:
Also, Nabokov is of course Russian, but wrote at least half (?) of his novels in English, so IMO would not strictly come under Russian Lit.
Really, is Lolita the first thing (or on the list at all) you think of in connection with Russian Lit.?

I have to say Lolita is the first thing I think of when I think of Russian Lit. Well, maybe not the first, but it definitely makes the list. When I think of Russian authors, I do include Nabokov, as well as the strictly lived-in-Russia-and-wrote-in-Russian Russian Dostoeyevsky, Chekhov, Tolstoy and Bulgakov, and many others.

I'm not fussed either way between a Nabokov sub-forum, or a Russian Lit. sub-forum, but from the mods point of view, what happens if (God forbid ;) ) the Nabokov talk dries up? If people felt that they had to continue posting because Nabokov had gotten his own sub-forum... I dunno, just thinking out loud again.

:D :D

steffee said:
I have to say Lolita is the first thing I think of when I think of Russian Lit. Well, maybe not the first, but it definitely makes the list. When I think of Russian authors, I do include Nabokov, as well as the strictly lived-in-Russia-and-wrote-in-Russian Russian Dostoeyevsky, Chekhov, Tolstoy and Bulgakov, and many others.
OK, I'm surprised! :eek: I think of the classics like Chekhov, et als.

I don't particularly mind what direction the Nabokov thread takes as long as I can post in it, and enjoy the camaraderie that we all have enjoyed so far.

pontalba said:
I don't particularly mind what direction the Nabokov thread takes as long as I can post in it, and enjoy the camaraderie that we all have enjoyed so far.

Me neither :D

Kenny,
I really do think it is your idea and therefore that you have a much clearer vision of what you would like to see than I do. So that tells me you should approach the mods with your thoughts. If you think they are swayed by what current memebrship think they can look, and I think you can and should say you have coordinated with us/me however you wish to put it. But please bear in mind that I am not the moderator here, nor even the spokesman, nor even the leader. Coordinator and collector of peoples thoughts, maybe.

Peder

PS I think Nabokov thought of himself as an American author and Lolita as an American Novel, according to his remarks at the back of Lolita. He mentioned "trying to be an American author" or words to that effect, as I recall, in defense against the accusation that Lolita was un-American. He said that pained him greatly.
P

But really and truly, why change what has been working? I hate to see this thing that has worked for the last three months flounder and poop out. This thread is a nice central thread to post miscellaneous thoughts to, and if/when we discuss another book, we can put it in the fiction section. I am afraid that if a whole new "forum section" is made, some won't even go into it because it won't be approachable to them. I well know I would not have ventured into something called "Russian Literature". And I have throughly enjoyed these threads as they are. Even an "All Nabokov" forum might scare some off.

These are all the reasons I can think of at this moment not to tamper, but what do I know?:(

I always went by the credo of "Why fix it if its not broken?"

pontalba said:
But really and truly, why change what has been working? I hate to see this thing that has worked for the last three months flounder and poop out. This thread is a nice central thread to post miscellaneous thoughts to, and if/when we discuss another book, we can put it in the fiction section. I am afraid that if a whole new "forum section" is made, some won't even go into it because it won't be approachable to them. I well know I would not have ventured into something called "Russian Literature". And I have throughly enjoyed these threads as they are. Even an "All Nabokov" forum might scare some off.

These are all the reasons I can think of at this moment not to tamper, but what do I know?:(

I always went by the credo of "Why fix it if its not broken?"

That's what I was thinking. Because the Lolita thread started as another botm discussion, and then the Enchanter thread started to discuss The Enchanter. I could be wrong, but I doubt the Enchanter thread will get as many posts as the Lolita thread. And now this thread has opened to discuss Nabokov in more detail, not specifically Lolita or The Enchanter, and to discuss possibilities of opening further threads on other works.

But if we had a whole Nabokov sub-forum, would that put a little pressure on us to make sure we "earned" that sub-forum, so to speak, and result in us feeling obligated to post? I'm not wording this too well... :)

Steffee You are putting it just fine. That is a valid point. If it was left to me, I would not change it at all. With this new thread, I think more posters will be attracted, and become interested in Nabokov. And then when a new book is agreed upon, well a new thread for that. Makes sense to me, and it is very simple.
If/when a new member comes along, and wants to know about Nabokov, all they have to do is do a Search. It'll turn up all Nabokov threads.
I don't mean to speak for anyone but myself, but I think all of us feel about the same.
Peder? StillILearn? Breaca? Madeline?
Kenny I'm not trying to be obstructionist, but maybe it would be best just to leave it as it is. At least for the present. Wouldn't you like to post in individual threads Nabokovian? Do they have to be clustered?

Peder said:
The simple goal here is to share our own personal reactions, openly and honestly, to what we have read, and to enjoy doing so.

The thread is open to everyone, whether or not you have read any of Nabokov or only heard of him, or perhaps want to learn something about him. Everyone is encouraged to come and share their thoughts and questions and be assured of a friendly reception and discussion.
What Peder said is what drew me to this discussion. I know of Vladimir Nabokov, but not about him. I do know I want to hear more because of my thoughts of what I remember of his writings and they were, "this writer is great!"

When I joined, the other threads of Nabokov were so many, and as a beginner, I didn't think I had a chance to catch up, but this one that Peder started seems to want to be ongoing and it's made me want to go out and buy the book Pnin. When I finish reading it, I feel like I can make a contribution about Nabokov, and not necessarily the book.

For me, I really like this thread the way it is, but that's because I know not what I want:D
Whatever is decided, I will be happy with, I'm just here to learn.:)

With reference to banding Nabokovian land to 'Russian Lit' - No disrespect but I'd never have thought to look up the wonderful threads. I read for the pure joy of reading and don't necessarily follow what's 'literary'. Had these threads appeared under 'Russian Lit' I would have, unfortunately, given them a miss. Shock/horror - to think what I would have missed. I enjoyed hopping between the Lolita and Enchanter threads. And now we have the 'Everything Nabokov' to contain all our other musings on this wonderful writer. What more could we ask for:D

steffee said:
I'm starting Pnin too, when I finish my current book, in a day or two or so. :D

I'm up to the casket letters, so I should be reading Pnin right along with you, steffee. I'm looking forward to this! :)

To everyone interested, including Kenny,
Hmm! It looks like there was a lot of discussion while I was sleeping!

It also looks like I got 'way too far out in front with my agreeableness to an overalll collected forum, when I now see that there is not a consensus on the matter. Please allow me to apologize if I offended anyone by suggesting we proceed without taking everyone's thoughts into account. As they say "It seemed like a good idea at the time," but I am now sorry.

However I have said enough, more like too much, and I think it more important to hear from anyone and everyone who is interested in how we proceed with Nabokov.

Unless I miss my count we need to at least hear from StillILearn. Still are you out there? Your thoughts would be appreciated by all of us I am sure.

Lurkers and mods with thoughts are welcome also I would think.
Peder

Edit: OOPS, I see she is right above me. Still, any thoughts?

Back