• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vladimir Nabokov

I know a reread is in my near future.

But at present I am noodling with:
Madame Bovary
Red Mars
Gilead
A Wedding in December

:eek: :eek: but otoh :D

pontalba said:
I know a reread is in my near future.

But at present I am noodling with:
Madame Bovary
Red Mars
Gilead
A Wedding in December

:eek: :eek: but otoh :D
Pontalba,
I won't say a bad word against any of them, that's for sure! I'm struggling with which among my four Recently Purchased to open, or else James' Washington Square. And further off-topic, a former colleague of mine reads nothing but Henry James, finishes one, starts another and goes through them all in rotation, over and over. And I've known him for 20 years now at least! :eek: Usual excuse, he likes the writing. Sounds like he could run a mean Henry James thread here in TBF, but no computer! :eek:
And don't tell me I have very strange friends, because he is a very nice guy. The salt of the earth as they say.:)
Peder

Peder said:
And don't tell me I have very strange friends, because he is a very nice guy. The salt of the earth as they say.:)
Peder

Now would I say a dasterdly thing like that?? :eek: :D

:p

pontalba said:
Now would I say a dasterdly thing like that?? :eek: :D

:p
No Pontalba,
Didn't mean you, but as I typed it I thought it a strange combination in terms of people we know here. Especially the no-computer part! :eek:
Peder

:D I know, but what is strange, is that until I think it was three years ago, I didn't have a computer. Now I wonder how I got along without it!
How our lives change. Amazing. :)

Speak, Memory reflects back on Sebastian Knight, and in a curious reversal of form, illuminates it, as a novel which in great part encompasses bits and pieces of Nabokov's own life. One book throws light on another.

From the Zembla website

SIL,
Chompin' at the bit here to get somethin goin. Sounds like you've been doing great homework, and I can hardly wait to hear :)
Peder

Sounds like I need to pull my copy of Speak Memory pronto! :D

Madame Bovary
Red Mars
Gilead

all dropping, dropping
to the bottom of the heap.
/sigh/

Peder said:
SIL,
Chompin' at the bit here to get somethin goin. Sounds like you've been doing great homework, and I can hardly wait to hear :)
Peder

I'm workin' on it:

“That rare type of writer who knows that nothing ought to remain except for the perfect achievement: the printed book; that its actual existance is inconsistent with that of its spectre, the uncouth manuscript flaunting its imperfections like a revengeful ghost carrying its own head under its arm; and that for this reason the litter of the workshop, no matter its sentimental or commercial value, must never subsist..
see page 34 TRLoSK

also click here: Laura? :confused:

Have we talked about Laura?

StillILearn said:
Have we talked about Laura?
Still,
Not this Laura, but I'm convinced that an operation along the lines of John LeCarre could spring it loose. :rolleyes:
Peder

Peder said:
Still,
Not this Laura, but I'm convinced that an operation along the lines of John LeCarre could spring it loose. :rolleyes:
Peder

Huh? I lost ya there for a minute. It was somewhere around the LeCarre reference. (In other words, would you put that in other words?) :)

pontalba said:
Sounds like I need to pull my copy of Speak Memory pronto! :D

Madame Bovary
Red Mars
Gilead

all dropping, dropping
to the bottom of the heap.
/sigh/

I hope it's on the inside ledge! :D We don't want you doing a Martin on us. ;)

StillILearn said:
Huh? I lost ya there for a minute. It was somewhere around the LeCarre reference. (In other words, would you put that in other words?) :)
Still,
Yes i had seen that post -- maybe you had posted it earlier, or pontalba? In going through that post once, it seemed like Laura was not going to be destroyed -- Dmitri having had a change of heart there -- but that it wasn't yet going to bee seen by an awful lot of eyeballs. Hence my thought that it would take John LeCarre and his fictitious minions to mount a deft and stealthy spy operation to get it out of the safe-deposit box in Switzerland where only one other person knows it is hidden. /yawn/ I imagine that even I can guess which box it is in, despte that poster's attempt to make it sound like the knowledge of its location is dangerously close to being lost to all human memory.
The part of the post that was much more fascinating was the discussion of Petrarch and Pale Fire at the end.
So, on balance, a great link!
Many thanks,
Peder

Peder said:
Still,
Peder
I remember seeing it before as well, just recently in fact.
But it might take more than George Smiley to shake it loose. :eek:

StillILearn said:
I hope it's on the inside ledge! :D We don't want you doing a Martin on us. ;)
Hah, I'm not half so acrobatic. :rolleyes:
I stay away from ledges in all cases. But ya may as well let go of the rope, on account of there ain't nobody else up there.......:D

I've been a little distracted by Laughter in the Dark, I saw a reference, and had to follow it up. /sigh/ Its a tough job....etc.

I'm feeling like the contrail of a jetliner around here. No matter how fast I read, I'm always eighteen books behind you guys! :eek: Don't you ever sleep?

StillILearn said:
I'm feeling like the contrail of a jetliner around here. No matter how fast I read, I'm always eighteen books behind you guys! :eek: Don't you ever sleep?
Hah! Very phunny, Oh Finder of Great Links! :cool: :D

StillILearn said:
Still,
Naw, you're not, you really are not.
I probably have more unfinished books than you do, so I may be ahead in book startings, but not nearly so far ahead in book finishings. In any event we'll all get to sit and have coffee and pastry and kibitz whenever we do, and nothing will be the worse for when any of us finished. In fact I just started a book that got me so annoyed I put it aside and will probably never finish it, so you don't have to count that one. :D
Sleep? it comes and goes, never exactly when I want it to. Like right now! Grrr.
/yawning, but not reading :D/
Hope you are thinking of sleeping, and not reading, :)
Sleeping definitely has its advantages,
Peder

Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys. I won't give up; I'll keep on reading, although I think he wrote 'em faster than I'm reading 'em. I like your new signature, Peder.

I like: Invent reality! :D

StillILearn said:
Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys. I won't give up; I'll keep on reading, although I think he wrote 'em faster than I'm reading 'em. I like your new signature, Peder.

I like: Invent reality! :D
SIL,
That was the part that stood out to me also, rather like it was Nabokov's motto.
There is a priceless comment about Nabokov's view of reality -- that it should always be spelled only in quotes (because it is invented) -- that I'll have to find. Um, let's see... Strathern is coming to mind ...slowly, ..... out of the mists.
It should only take one coffee to find it.:)
Be back in a bit,
Peder

Back