• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vladimir Nabokov

pontalba said:
We all is a waftin' with all our might! :cool:

Grits 'n eggs comin' up. :D
and super industrial strength coffee

And SIL, jes for you, I'll make some 'normal' coffee. ;)

Oh, thank goodness: Rich, strong, piping hot and taken black. Real coffee.

(I had to edit pretty strictly to make the above not sound like the punchline to an internet joke that's been making the rounds lately.) ;)

StillILearn said:
Oh, thank goodness: Rich, strong, piping hot and taken black. Real coffee.

(I had to edit pretty strictly to make the above not sound like the punchline to an internet joke that's been making the rounds lately.) ;)
Strong black coffee with chicory, no milk or sugar.
Guaranteed to wake the unconscious. :cool:

Your line "Real coffee." reminds me of the play/film "Mary, Mary". There was a line when they took a looonng drag of their first cigarette of the day, and said...."Now thats real coffee!" Debbie Reynolds. I can't think of the male lead at the moment....ok, its Barry Nelson (IMbD is a marvelous thing). Made in 1963. :D

Laughter in the Dark

Just finished. Oh Yeah! Another thread running thru [Nabokov's work] would be that Chum makes what I think may be its first appearance.
Interesting twist on usage outcome though.
:eek:

I finished Lolita this morning. Gorgeous prose! So beautiful! I would have finished faster had I not stopped to reread passage after passage. We all know the story so I won't bother summarizing. I haven't gone through this thread yet or the one in Book of the Month. Once I have I will try and contribute something more intelligent thatn fawning over the author's prose.

Ions! You are not kidding when you say "gorgeous prose". I don't think anyone can exceed him, and not many come close. And its difficult not to fawn. :D
I look forward to reading your take on Lolita, and any more Nabokov you might be thinking about reading, because, I warn you, Nabokov is addictive. ;)

pontalba said:
As I previously broadcast, I'm reading Laughter in the Dark. :eek: This book is terrific!
I read this post and went off to Amazon in search of Laughter in the Dark. Ended up buying no less than eight Nabokov books and forgot that one. So, devestated. Noooo!

Been meaning to catch up with this thread for ages and ages and ages...

Have we read Pale Fire yet? I am very excited about starting this. If not, can I interest you in it? Please. Pwetty, pwetty pwease.

Glory
is going, um, well it's not really going at all at the moment. But I am rereading about our poor Timofey. Awww, bless him.

Do discuss Lolita with us, ions. Lolita is a truly fabulous book, isn't it? I can't wait for my Annotated copy to arrive. Can't wait!

But Laughter in the Dark!! Wah! Oh well, I will need to order another now to take me upto the free postage criteria. ;) Do we have a Laughter in the Dark thread yet?

Steffee
Actually we thought we'd do Sebastian Knight next thread wise, SIL is I believe almost finished it, and I thought you were reading it as well....:confused: Sebastian Knight has many twists and turns and is quite good. Lots of VN himself in there too. But truthfully, I think bits and pieces of himself are in all of his books. Plus of course the "one story" bit.
I haven't read Pale Fire yet. Peder has I believe, but I was kinda working my way up to it...:eek:
As far as Glory, I have to say I liked it better in retrospect than at the time of reading. Sounds peculiar I know, but there it is. You will be glad to have read it. IMO

pontalba said:
Steffee
Actually we thought we'd do Sebastian Knight next thread wise, SIL is I believe almost finished it, and I thought you were reading it as well....:confused: Sebastian Knight has many twists and turns and is quite good. Lots of VN himself in there too. But truthfully, I think bits and pieces of himself are in all of his books. Plus of course the "one story" bit.
I haven't read Pale Fire yet. Peder has I believe, but I was kinda working my way up to it...:eek:
As far as Glory, I have to say I liked it better in retrospect than at the time of reading. Sounds peculiar I know, but there it is. You will be glad to have read it. IMO
I know exactly what you mean about Glory, Pontalba. I'm hoping to feel the same (when I eventually find it and get back to it).

And Sebastian Knight, yes! I have that and will start it tonight to join in with the discussion. Sorry about that temporary memory problem, how could I forget the ol' doppelganger possibility.

It's okay, we'll do Pale Fire next. I have quite a list now. :D

steffee said:
Sorry about that temporary memory problem, how could I forget the ol' doppelganger possibility.

It's okay, we'll do Pale Fire next. I have quite a list now. :D
ROTFALOLTIC! Steffee,
For shame! How could you of all people forget about the good ol' doppelganger bit? :eek: :)
Pretty soon we'll have enough, or maybe even more than, to open up a Sebastian Knight thread. It'll be a definite good 'un. :)
But I still don't know how rapidly the taste for Pale Fire is developing. I think it's still sort of pale, and definitely no fire yet. Just little sparkling embers. But I like your positive attitude. :) So keep gently puffing on it and it may develop into an eyebrow singeing bonfire.
Peder

Excuse my ignoramus ways, I’m too tired to fully read the last page of replies but upon skimming see Pale Fire often mentioned. I’m going to make a thread to discuss it in 4 weeks be warned! :p now back to reading Ada finally <3

Peder said:
For shame! How could you of all people forget about the good ol' doppelganger bit?
I know, Peder. Just how distracted have I been? :eek: ;)

But I still don't know how rapidly the taste for Pale Fire is developing. I think it's still sort of pale, and definitely no fire yet. Just little sparkling embers. But I like your positive attitude. So keep gently puffing on it and it may develop into an eyebrow singeing bonfire.
Peder, you are fantastic! :D

Ms. said:
Excuse my ignoramus ways, I’m too tired to fully read the last page of replies but upon skimming see Pale Fire often mentioned. I’m going to make a thread to discuss it in 4 weeks be warned! :p now back to reading Ada finally <3
Yay, four weeks. If there is a thread then this lot have no excuse! Enjoy Ada, it's tough but rewarding.

Ms. said:
I’m too tired to fully read the last page of replies but upon skimming see Pale Fire often mentioned. I’m going to make a thread to discuss it in 4 weeks be warned!
Feel free!
I consider myself warned.
Peder

Generally wondering

To all,
Once upon a time we had a thought of discussing The Real Life of Sebastian Knight, and of opening a thread to discuss it when all who wanted in on the discussion had finished reading it. Is that still a plan, or has every one gone over the hill and started reading Pale Fire? Or some other book?
Anyone still reading?
Anyone still wanting in?
Anyone wanting out?
Anyone fuhgeddaboudit?
Just wondering, :confused:
Peder

Sounds good to me, I need to reread, but I do the reread as we go along anyhow. I've been finished.

So I certainly want in. :cool:

Start the thread, I'm reading it right now, the thread will make me continue to do so (just general blahness regarding reading anything at the moment, not our Sebastian).

I can't wait for the next Nabokov installment. :D

Why thank you so much, Pontalba. Don't have quite enough books...

Though actually, that does look great. I really, urgently, desperately need Stacey Schiff's Vera, too, but I daren't buy any more books since I really have nowhere to put them...

But yes, that looks great. Why didn't the UK Amazon give me the option to but them both together? No fair!

Back