• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vladimir Nabokov

And while on the topic of 'nuttiness,' Nabokov is well-known (among Nabokovians anyway) for always taking a jibe at Freud, and the profession he created, in each of his books. Two works by others have been mentioned in these discussions where, in effect the analysts strike back. First is a book by Geoffrey Green called "Freud and Nabokov." The Second is an extensive web page that Gem has recently pointed out, where the author Joanne Morgan talks up her own book "Solving Nabokov's Lolita Riddle." I've been making headway in reading the book and the web page respectively and will be offering comments more-or-less soon on their attempts to explain a man whom they have never met based strictly on his writings. We readers attempt to understand Nabokov's stories on the basis of hidden clues he has woven in. They take that one metaphorical step further and attempt to explain the man himself on the basis of supposedly hidden clues in his writings.
Coming soon to your local thread.
Cluesmanship on Parade
Peder

Since someone, somewhere brought up Lionel Trilling.....in his essay The Last Lover within The Moral Obligation to be Intelligent has some points that are applicable to both Lolita and Sebastian Knight as well as the other Nabokov's we've already read. So since they cover all male/female relationships with Nabokovia, I'll post some outtakes here. Firstly on Lolita
All very well for the family and society to take approving note of the little girl's developing sexual charms, to find a sweet comedy in her growing awareness of them and her learning to use them, and for her mother to be open and frank and delighted and ironic over the teacups about the clear signs of the explosive force of her sexual impulse. We have all become so nicely clear-eyed, so sensibly Coming-of-Age-in-Samoa. But let an adult male seriously think about the girl as a sexual object and all our sensibility is revolted.
The response is not reasoned but visceral. Within the range of possible hetrosexual conduct, this is one of the few prohibitions which still seem to us to be confirmed by nature itself. Virginity once seemed so confirmed, as did the marital fidelity of women, but they do so no longer. No novelist would expect us to respond with any moral intensity to his representing an unmarried girl having a sexual experience, whether in love or curiosity; the infidelity of a wife may perhaps be a litle more interesting, but not much. The most serious response the novelist would expect from us is that we should "understand," which he would count on us to do automatically.
But our response to the situation that Mr. Nabokov presents to us is that of shock. And we find ourselves the more shocked when we realize that, in the course of reading the novel, we have come virtually to condone the violation it presents.

The times they are a changin'....
And the above was written in 1958....place it in that context.

As far as the love that Sebastian had for Ninka, some of what Trilling writes can be applied to that relationship as well. This is describing what Trilling calls "passion-love".
His passion filled his whole mind to the exclusion of everything else; he submitted himself to his mistress as her servant, even her slave, he gloried in her power over him and expected that she would make him suffer, that she would be cruel.
This would also apply to the character Albinus in Laughter in the Dark.

Pontalba,
That's a fascinating set of insights from Lionel Trilling, and from 1958 as you point out! Amazing! They underscore for me the growing thought that, not only did Nabokov mine his own background for the scenes and episodes which he re-fashined so imaginatively to appear in his novels, but he also clearly directed his full creativity at recasting that most elemental of story interests, namely boy-meets-girl, which goes all the way back to Adam and his fateful Eve, and refashioning even it into his stories. I would say that a tribute to his genius is the fact that, to me, each story comes out sounding completely different from the others in the telling, and also so very different from other stories by other authors on the same theme. He clearly reveled in exercising his imagination and we readers are much better off for it.
Peder

PS I still wish he could have written a happy ending just once.

You know as far as I can tell, Nabokov wrote so many of his stories within certain parameters. It seems to me that they are written with the thought that "there but for the Grace of God go I".

The protagonist either had gotten the good girl and leaves her for the bad girl, doesn't get the girl at all, or gets just the bad girl.

Or something like that. :eek:
But I've only read:
Lolita
The Enchanter
Pnin
Glory
The Real Life of Sebastian Knight
Laughter in the Dark

But from what you have said, Ada could fall within those parameters with some adjustment.

Nabokov had a wonderful marriage with Vera, but his stories explore what would/could have happened IF. I know I'm looking at it simplistically, but to me it fits.

And I think that Nabokov saved the "Happy Ending" for himself. :D
And thats OK. :)

pontalba said:
And I think that Nabokov saved the "Happy Ending" for himself. :D
And thats OK. :)
Ah, Pontalba, you always get it right.
He definitely did know what a happy ending was, and he saved it for himself!
Right-o!
Smiling from ear to ear, :)
Peder

Greene - Freud and Nabokov - The Attack

I have been looking at Geoffrey Greene's book, Freud and Nabokov, on and off ever since it found its way into these threads and I bought a copy. It has been a definite irritation for me in trying to summarize it briefly, because it rubs me the wrong way in so many different directions at once. After two failed attempts, maybe this post will live.

Mr. Greene begins by announcing (in my paraphrase) that the book is not what the title leads you to expect. In his own words, he puts his disclaimer this way (p.1)
"A work devoted to Freud and Nabokov would seem to be the occasion for a psychoanalysis of Nabokov's characters, or a psychoanalytical discussion of Nabokov's aversion to Freud, or else a principled recounting of the multitudinous criticisms that Nabokov wielded against Freud. But I intend to do none of these things."
Instead he hopes (p.6)
"to suggest the way in which psychoanalysis, as exemplified by Freud, has become more subjective and literary, subject to critical interpretation, while fiction, as exemplified by Nabokov, has become more theoretical."
That last sentence with its vague terminologies means next to nothing to me, so the best I can do is proceed by using examples from Mr. Greene's text with a minimum of editorial commentary by myself -- minimum, but not necessarily mild.

And let it finally be noticed that Geoffrey Greene is a Professor of English, not a psychiatrist, nor a psychoanalyst, nor even an M.D. trained in diagnosis.

Prof. Greene states, presumably factually, (p.1)
"that there is no reason to believe that Freud ever read Nabokov (or V. Sirin, his nom de plume, for that matter) or that he was aware of Nabokov's existence."
Consequently, Professor Greene's main technique in dealing with his topic is by juxtaposition, from each man's voluminous writings, of carefully selected excerpts that seem appropriate to Prof Greene for forming two halves of an exchange of ideas -- forming a faux conversation, if you will -- liberally interlarded with his own explanations of how to understand what is being said. In all, the perspective is of Freud/Greene attempting to exhibit a psychoanalytical measure of Vladimir Nabokov -- at least the way I read the nuances and the not-so-nuances. I'll be showing a few examples later of how this cut-paste-and-collage approach to amateur psychoanalysis works out.

The Attack
Prof Greene loses no time in sallying forth to challenge VN's well known mockery of Freud and psychoanalysis.(p.1)
"Until recently critics of the psychoanalytical persuasion would refrain, for the most part, from interpreting Nabokov's works. .... The implicit idea was that in some sense Nabokov was neurotic to fear Freud so intensively."
Then comes the use of the big gun himself, Freud, lecturing in 1910,(p.2)
"Psycho-analysis is seeking to bring to conscious recognition the things in mental life which are repressed .... They are therefore bound to call up the same resistance in him as in our patients; and that resistance finds it easy to disguise itself as intellectual rejection."
So Nabokov is neurotic; has a fear and a resistance; and his objection is anything but intellectual. All of that, incidentally, without the courtesy of giving space to Nabokov's actually quite clearly and intellectually stated objections to "the Viennese quack" (using words here from the front flap).

Instead Prof. Greene presents what I will call a straw-man description and put-down of his opponent, er subject: (p.2)
"Nabokovians on the other hand since they tended to follow the master's leads in all things literary, certainly until his death in 1977, did not exempt psychoanalysis from the list of contemptibles. ... because Freud [was] so deserving of scorn ... Freud was conceived as a genuinely demonic figure, an enemy of freedom, a distorter of minds comparable to totalitarian dictators."
Does anyone here know of any Nabokovians like that? Anyone who holds or ever held those views? I don't and never have, and I was a grown adult in 1977 and years prior. Prof. Greene offers no source citation for such bile.
My first reaction to any authors who begin by telling me alleged "facts" that are at complete variance with my own knowledge and my actually-lived life experiences is to knock down by several grades just how much further I will listen to anything else they have to say.
(To be continued)
Peder

OUCH!

What a cheery and unbiased fella Mr. Green is. :rolleyes:
Somehow the fact he calls Nabokovians "cattle" would tend to rub one the wrong way.

pontalba said:
OUCH!

What a cheery and unbiased fella Mr. Green is. :rolleyes:
Somehow the fact he calls Nabokovians "cattle" would tend to rub one the wrong way.
Now, now. Be nice to the cattle. :D

Peder said:
Now, now. Be nice to the cattle. :D
Oh, I'm not upset with the poor little ole cattle, its that Nut with the Branding Iron I have it in for! :mad:
Originally posted by Peder My first reaction to any authors who begin by telling me alleged "facts" that are at complete variance with my own knowledge and my actually-lived life experiences is to knock down by several grades just how much further I will listen to anything else they have to say.
Yeah, like below basement level. Or as me ald mither used to say, Under the Jail is too good for them!

pontalba said:
Oh, I'm not upset with the poor little ole cattle, its that Nut with the Branding Iron I have it in for! :mad:

Yeah, like below basement level. Or as me ald mither used to say, Under the Jail is too good for them!
yup Pontalba,
I really don't know why he had to rake all that stuff in. The rest of the book settles down and is not sooooooo bad, although it still has its preferred way of looking at things. So to my way of thinking he only detracted with his fire-breathing beginning.
Next post will show some muted concessions by Greene, revealing that not all was well in Freudville either and, again to my way of thinking, maybe VN had a point.
Peder

I have to say that it sounds as though he may have shot all of his ammunition in the very beginning, as an attention grabber.
:eek: :D

pontalba said:
I have to say that it sounds as though he may have shot all of his ammunition in the very beginning, as an attention grabber.
:eek: :D
You may be right, but since he alleges that he is attempting a balanced book (Hah!) maybe he just had difficulty sorting out all his thoughts and simply had to get those of his chest. We'll soon see some revealing mixed emotions.
Coming soon, etc,
Peder

Greene - Freud and Nabokov - Concessions

After reading such a ferocious counterattack By Prof. Greene against Vladimir Nabokov for his views about Freud and psychiatry -- as presented in an earlier post -- it comes as something of a surprise to read a number of independent concessions by different people, including Prof. Greene himself, that would almost certainly offer comfort and support to Nabokov in his dim view of psychiatry.

Over-reaching
We read Prof Greene (p.4)
"But the importance of Freud's work is not dependent on an overly restrictive conception of psychoanalysis, or of the reductive propensities that all too often characterized the popularization of psychoanalysis in America after his death."
And we find a separate sociologist, Joanne Morgan, author of Solving Nabokov's Lolita Riddle, independently echoing the same parenthetical thought:
"Nabokov also poked fun at the "voodooism" and psycho-babble language that was once actively promoted by the psychoanalytic movement in America throughout the 1940s to 1970s"
"Reductive propensities that accompanied the popularization?!" "Psycho-babble that was promoted by the psychoanalytic movement?!"

It is cold comfort that such concessions come so late, now after Nabokov's death. He might have felt some vindication for his attitudes,.......but we conjecture! Or might one go so far as to actually claim a certain prescience for Nabokov in his denunciations, ............but again we only hope and conjecture.

Truth
Conjectures aside, the question of "What is Truth?" -- which has echoed through the ages ever since Pilate's famous query in Biblical times -- surfaces also in Freud and Nabokov (p.4)
"In his perceptive essay "The Question of Proof in Freud's Psychoanalytic Writings," Paul Riceour answered the persistent attacks that psychoanalysis was not scientifically verifiable.
"If analytic experience is desire coming to discourse, the sort of truth that best answers to it is that of saying-true rather than being-true....The truth claim of psychoanalysis can legitimately be placed within the field of inter-subjective communication."
Speaking as an amateur and a lay person, I have to say that seems too bad, because it is exactly that "being-true" that I think most people associate with the word "truth," including myself and probably Nabokov. If psychiatry advances a different kind of so-called truth ("saying-true" and "inter-subjective communication" instead of proof), then it is small wonder perhaps that Nabokov correctly noted that fact, and fairly took exception to psychiatry's legitimacy.

Artistry
The philosopher Walter Kaufman, in his book on Freud (quoted by Prof. Greene on p.6) concluded that
"one simply cannot describe fully everything that was the case. Every description involves interpretations, and all understanding and explaining depend on selection."
Prof. Greene continues that thought,
Thus selection -- what is included or omitted in a written account -- is close to artistic arrangement, a stylistic choice or tactic for presentation..... this not only applies to literary art but to the artistic component in the endeavor of psychoanalysis.
According to psychoanalyst Roy Shafer, psychoanalytic case histories
"over which analysts have labored so hard, may now be seen in a new light: less as positivistic sets of factual findings about mental development and more as hermeneutically filled in narrative structures."
Prof. Greene quickly and immediately says
"But announcing a narrative basis for psychoanalysis is a far cry from announcing its demise."
as he clearly sees the far reaching implications of the suggestion that psychoanalysis might contain more than a bit of "artistry."

And by an amazing triple coincidence, spanning posibly as many as 50 years, Prof. Greene mentions "The Wolf Man" later in his book (p.107) in connection with his own commentary on Nabokov's Pale Fire. Part of the coincidence is that, not only have I read Pale Fire, and Prof. Greene's book, but I have also read the story of Freud's analysis of the "The Wolf Man" when that first appeared in public book form perhaps as many as 30-50 years ago. That case history was Freud's first analysis of a patient's current mental problems in terms of the patient's infantile (crib-age) perceptions and experiences -- a connection between forgotten infantile experiences and adult behavior that became virtually a hall-mark of Freudian analysis (and ridicule) in many people's minds.
My own reaction to the popular account then was that Freud employed extremely enthusiastic and well-written literary rhetoric in presenting his reasoning and rendering his conclusions persuasuve -- one might now call it literary "artistry" -- but that, to my mind then, there was much more in the way of supposition than of convincing proof. My opinion would hardly be worth comment, except for the fact that others seem also to have had the same reaction, as Prof. Greene just described. Freud was definitely gifted with the pen, in addition to no doubt being a very insightful observer of human behavior.
--
And at this point unfortunately, this detailed review supported by quotations from the book has to break off, because I have lost Prof. Greene's book along with all my marginal notes and highlighted passages. A Freudian wish come true, perhaps? :)

Suffice it to say that the book goes on to consider a number of Nabokov's typical statements and opinions that he frequently voiced and also to analyze a number of Nabokov's novels. In situations were Nabokov's words and works are at variance with selections from Freud's general commentaries on different matters, Prof. Greene raises the skeptical eyebrow and implies that Freud's thoughts are the proper way for viewing Nabokov's thoughts, even if Nabokov himself doesn't realize it. In places where it so happens that Nabokov's and Freud's observations agree with each other, then Prof Greene blandly accepts the truth of Freud's viewpoint as providing validity and understanding for Nabokov's observations and novelistic devices.

Accordingly, this is not the book in which to find acknowledgment of the acuity, or originality, or perceptiveness of Nabokov's creativity. Or at least so it seemed to me. At some point Prof. Greene remarks that his analysis is intended as "a beginning." I would suspect that there have to be better more detailed Freudian viewpoints regarding Vladimir Nabokov, by trained psychoanalysts, if that is one's interest. I would find it hard to think of this book as a reliable source for such material, in view of its psychiatrically untrained author and its adversarial posture.

Peder

Back