• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vote for September 2010 BOTM

Vote for September 2010 BOTM

• Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Perdido Street Station by China Mieville

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Marcia Marquez

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Landslide

Since we already had decided on some titles we wanted to read and discuss, I thought we should choose from them. The poll will be open till August 15th so people can have time to get the book.

Surprisingly, I own three of these books but they have received a total of only one vote between them!

Having 3 books in the voting is quite amazing because despite having ~ 300 books in my collection, these days I generally borrow books from my local library! I have recently been buying books at school fairs and my purchases are based largely on BAR recommendations... maybe that explains the three nominees! Hyperion's purchases was definitely BAR influenced.

Who knows?!?!

I went with Hyperion by Dan Simmons because the cover looks awesome. The other are short stories which I have little interest and another short book in the Big Sleep.

I chose Sherlock Holmes because I have it already at my shop and almost finished it. The only other ones on list I have seen here are Hyperion and the Garden one. I have read Big Sleep before, however.

Wow, 20th Century Ghosts has been overtaken. I just picked this book up thinking it would be the winner too.

Oh well I'll read it anyway.

Wow, 20th Century Ghosts has been overtaken. I just picked this book up thinking it would be the winner too.

Oh well I'll read it anyway.

Me too! It's on it's way, and that's ok. I have a two volume set of Sherlock Holmes stories downstairs. Any particular edition or set of stories I should be focusing on?

Here's a link to all of them online.:)

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - Project Gutenberg

A Scandal in Bohemia
The Red-Headed League
A Case of Identity
The Boscombe Valley Mystery
The Five Orange Pips
The Man with the Twisted Lip
The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle
The Adventure of the Speckled Band
The Adventure of the Engineer’s Thumb
The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor