• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vote September 2009 BOTM

What would you like to discuss in September?

• Roots by Alex Haley

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was also stuck between Roots and The Book Thief BUT ultimately I figured that although Roots got a lot of attention years ago the newer generations (including me a year ago) haven't read it and are really missing out.
The Book Thief is doing very well, as it should, but Roots needs more attention. I learned SO MUCH from Roots and it has changed my life in a way that no other book has, which is saying quite a bit--I also cried harder and loved the characters more. The research and heart that went into the book is staggering, and Alex Haley's writing style and character development is amazing...oh how I loved Kunta, and Kizzy, Bell, and all the others...read it. I promise.

I've been meaning to read it for the past couple of years. I have an old copy of it sitting on my shelf, but I just haven't gotten around to it. BOTMs seem to motivate me to finish titles though because that's how I got through the rest of Uncle Tom's Cabin, which was just so depressing.

I'd never heard of Roots, but after reading its synopsis it's doubtful that I'll be buying it anytime soon.

I've just started The Book Thief, so may join in a discussion of that, should it have the winning vote, despite rarely being active at the forum these days and being busy in September.

Recent discussion of Roots has made it seem more like a book I would be interested in reading than I originally thought. So, if some reading time opens up in September I'll probably read it and join the discussion. However, no vote from me -- yet -- even though it sounds clearly preferable to me than the other two alternatives.

Well, I voted for Book Thief, but Roots was a good read too..and a very long time ago, so a reread wouldn't hurt my feelings.

I read The Book Thief some months back, and even for a Young Adult book I thought it soft-soaped the whole experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back