• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Voting:July 2009 Book of the Month

What are we discussing in July?

• The Joke by Milan kundera

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Collected Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • The Odyssey by Homer

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • The King Must Die by Mary Renault

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will suggest Monk mext time,it sounds like a good read.;)

Heh, thanks. I would have seconded The English Patient but I read it already a few years ago. Although the book is well-written and entertaining, it's not one that I want to read again . . . at least in this period of time.

Borges. IMHO, the man was obviously infatuated with his own erudition.
Is that like being full of himeself and infatuated with his knowledge? if so,does that make his work not worth reading? The reviews I have read about his work are mostly positive,the translation also has alot to do with it too I think.

It's not winning but I am planning to pick this one up in the future.

Is that like being full of himeself and infatuated with his knowledge? if so,does that make his work not worth reading? The reviews I have read about his work are mostly positive,the translation also has alot to do with it too I think.

It's not winning but I am planning to pick this one up in the future.

Full of himself would be about right. I have never been able to enjoy his writing (except for maybe a couple of short stories) and believe me I have tried. Since Spanish is my native language I am pretty sure that nothing was lost in translation. He's sort of a literary god in Spanish speaking countries and people who do not worship Borges (like me) are generally frowned upon. Which of course keeps me up at night as you probably guessed :D

Full of himself would be about right. I have never been able to enjoy his writing (except for maybe a couple of short stories) and believe me I have tried. Since Spanish is my native language I am pretty sure that nothing was lost in translation. He's sort of a literary god in Spanish speaking countries and people who do not worship Borges (like me) are generally frowned upon. Which of course keeps me up at night as you probably guessed :D
:lol:

I will look to see if I find anything online first and give it a try.I do enjoy short stories.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back