• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

War Books? Need Help

cigar350

I am looking for some good non-fiction war books (revolutionary war, civil war, ww2) Please give me any of your suggestions. Thanks.

You've opened yourself up to a recommendation of thousands upon thousands of books.

Help me find a good one for you:

1. Which war are you most interested in?

2. Do you want a history of the whole conflict? A specific theater? A particular battle?

3. Are you interested in a particular side? A particular unit? A particular commander?

4. You looking for something in-depth or just the main facts?

5. You want something technical or something aimed more towards the mass public?

You've opened yourself up to a recommendation of thousands upon thousands of books.

Help me find a good one for you:

1. Which war are you most interested in?

2. Do you want a history of the whole conflict? A specific theater? A particular battle?

3. Are you interested in a particular side? A particular unit? A particular commander?

4. You looking for something in-depth or just the main facts?

5. You want something technical or something aimed more towards the mass public?

Mostly I am looking for books about the civil war about the whole war in general or about General Custard. And I am also looking for WWII books about Hitler and the Nazi's not just one single event.

For the Civil War, an excellent history of the war can be found in Shelby Foote's 3 volume Civil War series:

The Civil War: Fort Sumter to Perryville, Vol. 1
The Civil War: Fredericksburg to Meridian, Vol. 2
The Civil War: Red River to Appomattox, Vol. 3

If you want something a bit more concise then check out Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era by James M. McPherson.

For the Nazis, it is hard to beat The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer.

I can't vouch for it but The Custer Companion: A Comprehensive Guide to the Life of George Armstrong Custer and the Plains Indian Wars by Thom Hatch looks promising.

A book about Custer is Son of the Morning Star by McConnell (not entirely sure of his name). It gives the background for the conflict, as well as a portrait of Custer himself.

Sometimes ago Beer good also posted an interesting review on book called "A woman in Berlin". I guess that it can be classified as a non-fiction, as it was written by a German woman during the liberation of Berlin by the Soviet Army. It left a strong impression on me.

I'd like some help, too. When I was younger I read a Time Life series of books on WWII. It had about 30 books with lots of pictures and decent text content. I'd like to buy something similar for my school's library. The Time Life series is out of print, though.

I'd like some help, too. When I was younger I read a Time Life series of books on WWII. It had about 30 books with lots of pictures and decent text content. I'd like to buy something similar for my school's library. The Time Life series is out of print, though.

I constantly see this series (as well as the Time Life Civil War and Vietnam War series) in used book stores and antique malls. If you'd like, I can let you know the next time I run across a set.

Another good place to look for them is here: http://www.addall.com/used

I'm also a fan of war books...
My most favorite I've read is Kokoda by Peter Fitzsimmons.
It's an Australian non fiction war book written so well, that it flows like a good fiction novel.
It's about the Japanese attempt of invasion of Australia in WWII.

AWESOME BOOK!

I constantly see this series (as well as the Time Life Civil War and Vietnam War series) in used book stores and antique malls. If you'd like, I can let you know the next time I run across a set.

Another good place to look for them is here: http://www.addall.com/used

If I personally wanted them that'd be fine. I shop from anywhere needed when I need a book.

However, my school here in Korea has a really picky ordering policy involving, among other things, not shopping from overseas, especially used books. They have scads of paperwork to complete in their main office for any purchases, and they need receipts galore and guaranteed sellers. It's a result of corruption in Korea.

I'd like to find a more recent and new series that is similar to these. Then they'd buy them.

As for WWII books I can recommend The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer. This book is really one of a kind in giving a good idea of the horrors as experienced by a regular frontline soldier in the German Army during WWII. It tells the writers own story of signing as a volunteer to the German army at age 16, and ending up on the Eastern Front.

Since it's release in the sixties (can't remember exact year) it has been approved by several military organizations as a recommended read to give soldiers an understanding of life on the frontline. Westpoint generals recommend it to their cadetts to prepare themselves for "The Big War", whenever / if that may happen.

One of my personal favourites... :)

History Of American Letters

History Of American Letters will be very good in your criteria.the author of that book is By Walter Fuller Taylor, Harry Hartwick..

I am looking for some good non-fiction war books (revolutionary war, civil war, ww2) Please give me any of your suggestions. Thanks.
I was thinking of suggesting Jarhead but I don't think that fits with
(revolutionary war, civil war, ww2)

How about the story called My Boy Jack by Rudyard Kipling? Isn't that set in WW2?

How about the story called My Boy Jack by Rudyard Kipling? Isn't that set in WW2?

'My Boy Jack' is a poem, not a story as such. And it was the Great War. I am astounded that you made such an elementary mistake, especially since the background to its creation was so recently the subject of an excellent (and very moving) TV drama.

Back