• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Western writers

SFG75

Louis L'Amour is a biggie. Any others that I should check out? I hear the Cotton guy is pretty good. Any thoughts pilgrim?

I have read and highly recommend Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey and Shane by Jack Schaefer. Others that I’ve heard are outstanding and are in my reading pile are The Virginian by Owen Wister Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. Also, muggle highly recommends The Big Sky by A.B. Guthrie.

I believe that with just Louis L'Amour and Zane Grey book, there are enough books to keep an reader busy for a couple of years if they read little else.

Yes, how could i forget about Zane Grey? I'll add that one. I think the name of the guy I previously mentioned was Ralph Cotton-interesting book covers he has.:cool:

Another very good book is:
Give Your Heart To The Hawks....by....Winfred Blevins

Louis L'Amour's book "The Last of the Breed" was excellent.

Doug Johnson said:
Elmore Leonard's westerns are about 40 years old, but I heard they hold up and are still worth reading.
Gosh, I forgot all about Elmore Leonard. I used to read his books and enjoyed them very much but that was many years ago and I don't even remember the titles now. :)

It was Mr. Leonard's biographer who told me the westerns were good. I haven't read them, but I think my source is pretty reliable.

I just remembered another western author that was very good.....Max Brand.

One of the very good and funny book was Rounders 3 by Max Brand. I highly recommend it. Another was Bluefeather Fellini by Brand.

I have mentioned this book previously but would like to bring it to your attention again. It is a must read for anyone remotely interested in the early West of the U.S.

Give Your Heart to the Hawks : A Tribute to the Mountain Men by Win Blevins

Check the reviews/ description on amazon.com

L'Amour

The only books I've read by Louis L'Amour are The Sacketts. Its a series that follows the adventures/exploits of the one family. I bought it in its five volume form that contains all 18 stories. I highly recommend it.

Oh, no, I've read his Walking Drum as well. Also recommended!

pontalba said:
The only books I've read by Louis L'Amour are The Sacketts. Its a series that follows the adventures/exploits of the one family. I bought it in its five volume form that contains all 18 stories. I highly recommend it.

Oh, no, I've read his Walking Drum as well. Also recommended!

I've only read the first in that series, Sackett's Land, and it was nothing short of outstanding. I have To the Far Blue Mountains, the second book in the series, in my reading pile and I expect to pick it up when I finish Clive Cussler's Serpent.

By the way, I highly recommend The Last of the Plainsmen by Zane Grey. The book is based on a trip the author took with real life Plainsmen Buffalo Jones.

Robert.....there aren't a whole lot of us that enjoy Westerns. I wish you would post more often. :)

From Louis L'Amour's website:
The Sackett stories and the best order in which to read them.

1. Sackett’s Land
2. To the Far Blue Mountains
3. The Warrior’s Path
4. Jubal Sackett
5. Ride the River
6. The Daybreakers
7. The Courting of Griselda
(short story in “End of the Drive”)
8. Lando
9. Sackett
10. Booty for a Badman
(short story in “War Party”)
11. Mojave Crossing
12. The Sackett Brand
13. The Skyliners
14. The Lonely Men
15. Mustang Man
16. Galloway
17. Treasure Mountain
18. Ride the Dark Trail
19. Lonely on the Mountain

Gosh, I enjoy his books.

Nice list, muggle. Thanks.

I'll try to post more often. With a little luck, I won’t make Wabbit feel that he needs to edit any more of my posts. ;)

This is a relatively new area for me and I'm really enjoying it.

I saw the movie The Shootist the other day and I like it so much that I’m thinking about reading the sometime in the near future (if I can find a copy).

lists

Muggle
The JLB's
The Nabokov's
Jan. BOTM...Small Island
and the rest of the rather um, large stacks that are looking at me reproachfully. :) :eek:

oi! Cormac McCarthy! Blood Meridian is flippin awesome. A variance of the Western I thoroughly enjoyed was Little Big Man. give em a whirl!:D

CattiGuen said:
oi! Cormac McCarthy! Blood Meridian is flippin awesome. A variance of the Western I thoroughly enjoyed was Little Big Man. give em a whirl!:D
I currently have Blood Meridian on hold at the library. Almost finished with Warrior Woman (Shawnee Indian Woman Chief) by James Alexander Thom. Most of his books are about the Indians in the 1700's.

Has anyone else on TBF read "Rounders 3" by Max Brand????

muggle said:
I currently have Blood Meridian on hold at the library. Almost finished with Warrior Woman (Shawnee Indian Woman Chief) by James Alexander Thom. Most of his books are about the Indians in the 1700's.

Has anyone else on TBF read "Rounders 3" by Max Brand????

I've never heard of "Rounders 3", muggle. Is it one that you recommend?

By the way, have you read "The Shootist" by Glendon Fred Swarthout? It's simply outstanding!

Robert said:
I've never heard of "Rounders 3", muggle. Is it one that you recommend?

By the way, have you read "The Shootist" by Glendon Fred Swarthout? It's simply outstanding!
Rounders 3 will have you laughing your tail off. It is really funny. I do recommend it. I do not remember reading "The Shootist", I will have to check it out.

Back