• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Western writers

hey thanks. I added the site to my favorites folder and will take some time to browse the site.

Four or five months ago I told ABC about the time I was working in my vegetable garden and there was a bear hiding behind a tree about 30 or 40 feet behind me waiting for me to leave so it could go to my birdfeeder. ABC then gave me the nickname of Dan'l Boone. Here is a photo of the bear, at another time, now that steffee has told me how to post photos. I have over 100 photos of different bears that i have taken in my backyard. :) btw, I have named all the bears and this one is named "Trouble".

oumu52.jpg

For the mods. I promise this will be my last photo as I know it costs $$$ to the site. This is one of mama bear and her 2 cubs at my birdfeeder. The cubbies are between 2 and 4 weeks old.
oup4lw.jpg

Wow, amazing!! Trouble is beautiful, he's just become my wallpaper, you should post all 100 of them :D

BTW, glad to have helped. :)

I would post a few more if the mods thought it wouldn't be too expensive for the site but will go with their recommendation as I have total respect for them. As mentioned, I have names for most of the bears/photos such as Posing Bear, Lazy Bear, Hungry bear, Bad Bear, Looking Bear, etc and they all have a meaning which is obvious when looking at the pictures.

When I mow the grass in the summer i am usually looking over my shoulder. :D ;) :)

Great pics, muggle. Thanks for posting them.

Isn't there a site that allows you to uploade photos? Then all we would need is a url.

muggle said:
I would post a few more if the mods thought it wouldn't be too expensive for the site but will go with their recommendation as I have total respect for them.

It costs TBF if we put pictures up? Are you sure?:confused:

malena2006 said:
author of psychological westerns like Duel in the Sun and The Furies

Interesting. Is there one in particular that you would recommend to first time Niven Busch readers?

I am reading The Pearl by John Steinbeck. In the meantime I will try to put a hold on The Shootist at the library.

Do you read much Zane Grey, muggle? I've read Riders of the Purple Sage, Last of the Plainsmen and Black Mesa, and I'm currently reading Code of the West. I'm trying to figure out what (Zane Grey) book to purchase next. Any suggestions?

Robert said:
Do you read much Zane Grey, muggle? I've read Riders of the Purple Sage, Last of the Plainsmen and Black Mesa, and I'm currently reading Code of the West. I'm trying to figure out what (Zane Grey) book to purchase next. Any suggestions?
I have read most of Zane Grey's books but it has been too many years ago and I wouldn't do a very good job in recommending one. It is probably time for me to try a few of his again. Glad you brought him up and I will check out the library and put one on hold for me. Will have to browse Amazon and see which one to read first.

muggle said:
I have read most of Zane Grey's books but it has been too many years ago and I wouldn't do a very good job in recommending one. It is probably time for me to try a few of his again. Glad you brought him up and I will check out the library and put one on hold for me. Will have to browse Amazon and see which one to read first.

Ok, I put a special order in with Borders for The Desert Crucible. It looks like it'll take as long as weeks to get it, but I have plenty to read until then.

I just remembered an author that I enjoyed very much, Terry C. Johnston. In particular I enjoyed a Trilogy that he wrote about the Mountain Men that took place in the 1830's. It is a work of fiction but seems to have been researched very well. Good stories:
1. Carry The Wind
2. Borderlords
3. One-Eyed Dream

I just finished reading "The Shootist" by Glendon Swarthout....my thanks to Robert for his recommendation. It was a very different kind of Western that will stay "in your mind" for a long time. Great book. The ending makes me want to transport myself into the story and teach lessons in life to a certain kid.:)

muggle said:
I just remembered an author that I enjoyed very much, Terry C. Johnston. In particular I enjoyed a Trilogy that he wrote about the Mountain Men that took place in the 1830's. It is a work of fiction but seems to have been researched very well. Good stories:
1. Carry The Wind
2. Borderlords
3. One-Eyed Dream

I just finished reading "The Shootist" by Glendon Swarthout....my thanks to Robert for his recommendation. It was a very different kind of Western that will stay "in your mind" for a long time. Great book. The ending makes me want to transport myself into the story and teach lessons in life to a certain kid.:)

I'm glad you liked it, muggle. I can imagine who that certain kid might be. ;)

Currently reading Kilrone by L'Amour. I like the ease of writing and how he lays down a given scene. Of course, character depth is not as good, but there are trade offs I suppose. the book is only 200 pages long, but so far, so good.:cool:

Help with Cormac McCarthy

I've tried reading McCarthy but I've always been stymied by the man's disdain for quotation marks. I get halfway through a line before I realize it's dialogue. Does it get easier as it goes along or should I invest in the audiobook?

Back