• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What book do you hate but everybody else loves?

MonkeyCatcher said:
CDA! You blasphemer! The movies are NZ's babies, our precious..s... and Peter Jackson is pure genius. Be sure that you'll be on the receiving end of a Kiwi beatdown if you so much utter something like that again :eek:

;) :p

And, yes, I think that you should watch them. :D

I was only kidding...

...no, not really: complete piffle - AVOID

:D:D:D

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I've tried to read it as it sounded so interesting on the Amazon reviews, but this is the second book by this author (other name blanked out), that I have not been able to finish. With this one, I found the pace waaayyy too slow, and I could tell what was coming, and found it depressing, and rather boring.

I think the book I hate is called 3 Blondes, by Candance Bushnell. The girl who wrote sex and the city. All my girls friends loved it. I should have never picked it up, because its not my type of book at all. I read half way through, hoping it would get better, then chalked it up to tripe and trashed it. And I never throw books away!

I really didn't enjoy Blindness by Josa Saramago. Everyone here seems to love it, but I just couldnt love it!! lol. I stopped reading 3/4 of the way through.

Lani

I'm not entirely sure why I'm posting to this thread, since it could be argued that just about every book I dislike falls into this topic's category. Still, one in particular springs to mind:

"Snowcrash" by Neal Stephenson.
Cyberpunk is a genre I tend to have a strong aversion towards. To be exact, I tend to dislike anything that strikes me as self-consciously "cool", and Snowcrash is really painful in that regard. Sword fights and motorcycles and skateboards and sunglasses and characters who are essentially video game "bosses" does not make for a good thing in my book. Perhaps I was too old by the time I read it, and that I should've tried it when I was 14 and possibly more likely to get into that sort of thing.

I did find Cryptonomicon to be entertaining though.

lucylou said:
I'd LOVE to be able to read the LoTR books, but i also lose interest when you come across the boring bits! I will have to make an extra special effort to read them in the new year. I LOVED the films which is why i don't understand why i find it hard! :)

I never understood why there was so much said about that series. My brother in law has the entire movie series and twice, I sat down to give it a shot. I fell asleep after the first fifteen minutes and woke up during the closing minutes of the said tape. If the movie was like that, the book would not have held my interest at all. I'm not much of a fantasy-fiction reader, things have to be somewhat plausible, which is why I can read a Clancy or Cussler work with some suspension of belief in reality.

tommydarascal said:
The title of this forum speaks for itself. Is there a certain book out there that everybody is crazy about, but you just hate?

Well, pretty much all those cursed semi-literary modern books that *everyone* has to read, like The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Nightime," "The Kite Runner," "The Life Of Pi" "Bee Season" ad nauseum.... They make me feel like I'm back in high school, but this time instead of it just being pointless junk like makeup, the fashion nazis are horning in on my books.

Fahrenheit 451.....we had to read it last year. I absoloutly hate it but my whole class loved it. And Eragon. :( I tried reading it once, twice, 3 times....I hated it!

Lilylove said:
Fahrenheit 451.....we had to read it last year. I absoloutly hate it but my whole class loved it. And Eragon. :( I tried reading it once, twice, 3 times....I hated it!
Not a Bradbury fan eh? Well, perhaps later on, you'll grow to like it. I know there's a few books that I hated in school, but now enjoy. I guess time does that to you.

A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. The man should be shot for writing it--wait, he shot himself! He took way too much from his own life, the characters change their minds constantly and see the world through rose-colored glasses while managing to be cardboard cut-outs, the dialogue is TERRIBLE, and he had a whole chapter on horse racing that had nothing to do with the rest of the story AND was boring as...heck.
It should be noted the Hemingway was trying to relive his affair with a nurse during WWI when he wrote this novel. He went on to have at least 7 affairs--every time he married, he cheated. Maybe if he'd spent less time chasing everything with a skirt and kept his pants up, he'd have spent more time on his writing and done something worthwhile.

th_crylaugh.gif

A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. The man should be shot for writing it--wait, he shot himself!

You are killing this old guy!. Very ironic given the title as well.

Before anyone takes offense, let me state that while the humor may be somewhat morbid, I'm allowed one digression on my birthday.:D

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
XD. I have a rather morbid sense of humor at times, too. Glad I gave you a laugh. :)

In all seriousness, I've never read it, but I'm aiming to in the near future. I have it on a shelf, just need to plow through some other works for the time being.

LOL-Keep up the good posts, humor is more than welcome at TBF.:D

Stephen King. I've enjoyed a few, but I find his writing to be beyond awful. It amazes me that he sells as many books as he does.

CDA said:
I was only kidding...

...no, not really: complete piffle - AVOID

:D:D:D

Yeah CDA, Peter Jackson is da man. Better not let my two sons hear you saying that or you'll be needing one of your underground bunkers.:D

It's Ok I promise not to tell, besides you might give them one of your sandwiches:p

Back