• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What book do you hate but everybody else loves?

The Da Vinci Code was tolerable, but not the fine work of literature that many reviewers claim it is. If not for the religious content, the book wouldn't have kept my interest.

Lord of the Rings may be an influential series and all, but it's still dull and rambling. I think I stopped halfway through Book II, or maybe the end of Book I... I can't recall ;).

I also didn't quite get the appeal of Bret Easton Ellis' The Rules of Attraction. I liked the shifting viewpoints and one character's interpretation of a certain event (only to be contradicted by another character) but Ellis' "stream-of-consciousness" kind of got on my nerves. American Pyscho wasn't much better in the writing style department, I'm afraid.

The thing about the LotR is that we need some sort of reading guide for it...I read Fellowship and swore never to touch the other two books-- I thought the first was mostly awful (short folk, big feet, Tom Bombadill--I don't want to read this stuff...). I loved Two Towers and Return, and was glad that my friends had bullied me into finishing the series. So... if we could just find a way to guide people through the first book I think everyone would have an easier time...
The book I hated most was an assignment... Oliver Twist. I was so disappointed, because I've loved all the other Dickens I've read.

Some of the "classics" are really lost on me:

Catcher in the Rye - OMG, could this guy be any whinier?
The Sun Also Rises - Yes, you're depressed and the wine is cheap. Yawn!
Heart of Darkness - The horror! The horror!

Back