• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What book is this .... ? Guess the work from the words!

Meadow337

Former Moderator
Post a quote from a book. Every one must guess which book it is from.

A total of 20 questions or clues can be asked before a final guess must be made.

First quote:

If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up. After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favour of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working. After a while he abandoned this one as well as being obstructively cynical and decided he quite liked human beings after all, but he always remained desperately worried about the terrible number of things they didn't know about.

Science Fiction .... late night double feature picture show ... (ignore the Rocky Horror reference it has no bearing - I just felt like singing it LOL)

*drum roll please* we have a winner, however it wasn't Marvin it was Ford Prefect :)

You have the honour of posting the next quote :)

Okay... Here goes nothing...

"When we are omnipotent we shall have no more need for science. There will be no distinction between beauty and ugliness. There will be no curiosity, no enjoyment of the process of life. All competing pleasures will be destroyed. But always, always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever."
A bit grim, but from a very good book indeed.

Oh I forgot to mention that googling the quote is not allowed but it will have to be on an honour system LOL

"a bit grim" lol that is excessively bleak.

Q1. When was it published?

Q2. Which genre?

Woohoo LOL I said it was a book from the 1950's when life was bleak ... how is that for judging the tone correctly! YAY lol

Q3 Is it a well known author?

Sure

I woke three times in the dark predawn. First in sorrow, then in joy, and at the last, in solitude. The tears
of a bone-deep loss woke me slowly, bathing my face like the comforting touch of a damp cloth in
soothing hands. I turned my face to the wet pillow and sailed a salty river into the caverns of grief
remembered, into the subterranean depths of sleep.

Back