• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What book is this .... ? Guess the work from the words!

Can I play ?

This one is tricky because it contrasts ENORMOUSLY from the normal style of the book which is comic. Late 19th century.

One of the most beautiful passages I've ever read.

The day has been so full of fret and care, and our hearts have been so full of evil and of bitter thoughts, and the world has seemed so hard and wrong to us. Then Night, like some great loving mother, gently lays her hand upon our fevered head, and turns our little tear-stained faces up to hers, and smiles; and though she does not speak, we know what she would say, and lay our hot flushed cheek against her bosom, and the pain is gone.

Sometimes, our pain is very deep and real, and we stand before her very silent, because there is no language for our pain, only a moan. Night's heart is full of pity for us: she cannot ease our aching; she takes our hand in hers, and the little world grows very small and very far away beneath us, and, borne on her dark wings, we pass for a moment into a mightier Presence than her own, and in the wondrous light of that great Presence, all human life lies like a book before us, and we know that Pain and Sorrow are but angels of God.

1. Male

2. To my knowledge the author is known particularly for the book the quote was taken from.

3. Comic farce-adventure

(4) 1890s

(5) Book not initially well received upon publication but has since become a classic. Since its publication, this book has never been out of print. It continues to be popular to the current day, with The Guardian ranking it No. 33 on The 100 Greatest Novels of All Time in 2003, and Esquire ranking it among the 50 Funniest Books Ever in 2009. In 2003, the book was listed on the BBC's survey The Big Read. No cheating

(6) Passages like the one I quoted (there are several) had a negative effect on critics because they contrasted greatly with the comic nature of the story.

(7) Despite what may be inferred from the style of the quote this is NOT a children's book.

[Edited to add more clues]

Last edited:
well I have to say at this point I have no idea. I'm pretty sure I have not read it. Even when I can't remember the passage in question the style and bits kind of ring the memory bells and I can get there with a process of deduction.

I'm not sure I can even start throwing authors name into the pot.

1890 comedy writer? are there any?

"Methinks I have peed whilst marching in the proverbial parade." - DATo

That is not a book quote but a personal observation of my game playing abilities.
*Throws himself to the floor in frustration*

OK , here's another one ....

To that Providence, my sons, I hereby commend you, and I counsel you by way of caution to forbear from crossing the moor in those dark hours when the powers of evil are exalted.

Author - male
1901 - 1902
Crime / Mystery genre

Last edited:
Back