• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What book(s) do you take on vacation?

henrietta

I'm trying to decide what to take on the plane next week. I like old friends, familiar books that make the plane, train, hotel room, etc. feel more homey - I've tried to take a new novel on trips, but I almost never read them. Of course, I don't read much at all on vacation, but reading a few chapters of a much loved book is a nice way to relax and feel more at home in a strange place.

I like to take along a guidebook for the area where I will be staying. When I was a kid anticipating our trips to Florida or Arizona, I usually packed a book for every forseeable need:D I just knew I NEEDED to take along my entire collection of Tiger Beat and Country Song Roundup magazines:rolleyes: Oh well, it was just my mom and me, so trunk space was not a problem:D

I take a good paperback that is brand new-usually popular fiction. Something to take the mind off of the tedious nature of flying or riding in the car.:cool:

I guess I shouldn't suggest Huckleberry Finn, huh?

I think a collection of short pieces would be good for travel, since there might be interruptions and only short snatches of reading time. Maybe an essayist like Sedaris or Sandra Tsing Lo, though there are a zillion others these days.

I usually take either a large book that I'm partway through, and that I know I'll enjoy, or I take a book I have previously read and enjoyed. I didn't want to risk taking a 25 hours flight with a bad book, so I stuck with what I knew. :D

I like to take a variety of novels. I usually pick up whatever looks good and try to bring a book for every other day. I rarely read them all, but I do read a lot. I read in the hotel room, I read in the car, I read at the beach. I read for an entire day when I got food poisoning on the way home from Georgia last year. To me, some of the best bits of my vacation last year were reading on the Tybee beach and on a shady bench in one of Savannah's squares.

CDA said:
So I've been told! LOL:)

LOL-CDA, you'd be one of the people who would show it to others waiting in the terminal, explaining the worst cases listed in it. "Check this out, in 1984.........":D

SFG75 said:
LOL-CDA, you'd be one of the people who would show it to others waiting in the terminal, explaining the worst cases listed in it. "Check this out, in 1984.........":D

you guys know me so well....;)

I usually take a large novel that I havn't read before on my travels. The plane and car rides are perfect times to start to chisel away at the numerous pages.

Whenever I go away, I take a book by an author I have already read, and that I know is suspensful and addictive.
Usually I take a Harlan Coben novel or a Michael Connelly. That way, I am always wanting to read.

Last holiday, I took a novel from a new author that I heard good reviews on and it was the WORST book ever!! I had horrible reading that holiday and it put me in a bad mood :(.

So I suggest something by a familiar author. One that you trust to give you something you cant put down.
I also prefer one big one than a few small novels.

Have a great trip!!

Lani

I have just returned from vacation. I took “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time”, “the Time Traveler’s Wife” and two other books that I did not get around to reading because there were just too many distractions.

My choice was based on what I considered to be light reading. Not only with a view to something easy to read, but also something that was going to be light to carry.

I did not want to pay excess baggage charge. :)

Back