• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What book should be REQUIRED reading for everyone?

jay said:
Ok then, relinquish the conch…

Forgive my ignorance, but I have no idea what you mean by this. :confused:

Yes, I believe I touched upon this earlier (or maybe it was the ‘Intel’ thread), _any_ book can be taught well.
And most especially something like LotFlies.

You are right, of course. Any book can be taught well, but that doesn't make the book any more or less interesting or enjoyable. It just makes the studying of it more bearable.

Just when I thought I truly couldn’t be any more dismayed with the reading and “thinking” level of people.
Sir-prise, sir-prise.

j

Once again I find myself wondering what you mean by this. Do you presume to criticise my 'reading and thinking level' just because I happen not to like LotF?

The first post of this topic appeared to be made by a teacher who was looking for books that may interest her/his students. I gave a recommendation based on my own experiences of the way students have responded to the various novels we have read. I could list a host of others, but I am not certain they could be found anywhere else other than Australia.

Billy said:

But you said you had read Lord of the Flies. :confused:

I could list a host of others, but I am not certain they could be found anywhere else other than Australia.

Please, please, don't let it be Matthew Reilly.

Stewart said:
But you said you had read Lord of the Flies. :confused:

Hahaha, read my post again. I said I was supposed to read it for school (which was at least 20 years ago ;)) and it was the only book I was supposed to read, but never actually finished.

Please, please, don't let it be Matthew Reilly.

No, it's not Matthew Reilly. :) Some of the books I was thinking of are ones like Hitler's Daughter (for younger readers) and Tomorrow When the War Begins (for slightly older readers - 14+). I can't remember who the author of Hitler's daughter is but John Marsden is the author for Tomorrow...

Billy said:

Maybe if you read _Lord of the Flies_ you would.
One doesn’t have to like a book to respect it or refer to it.

Basically I was saying, “and *you’re* a teacher?

You are right, of course. Any book can be taught well, but that doesn't make the book any more or less interesting or enjoyable. It just makes the studying of it more bearable.

Very true. But the last I hear Education wasn’t really in the Entertainment business.

Once again I find myself wondering what you mean by this. Do you presume to criticise my 'reading and thinking level' just because I happen not to like LotF?

Reading level, yes. (you did say you “love” fantasy)
Thinking level wasn’t necessary directed at you but based on foolhardy theories that kids should have a say-so in what they “learn”.

The first post of this topic appeared to be made by a teacher who was looking for books that may interest her/his students. I gave a recommendation based on my own experiences of the way students have responded to the various novels we have read. I could list a host of others, but I am not certain they could be found anywhere else other than Australia.

Understood. Although I’d like to see a bit more on why you “hated” ‘Flies’ so much.
This all goes back to things I’ve been ‘talking’ about before.

And geography need not dictate anything, I’m (as are maybe a few others) curious what you would recommend.
Some of us know of a few writers not just from our general region…

And one _hardly_ has to “finish” the book to get the conch reference…it’s not bloody “Rosebud”…
j

Jennifer said:
Lay off, jay, let's not get into this one again... :D Jennifer, who also loves fantasy

Ah, well. As they say, “you’re young yet…”
And that, as far as I can tell, is about the only thing you do that is age-appropriate.
You’ll grow out of it.

So.
If _Lord of the Flies_ was a group of blue-skinned elvy things and they were trapped on a small, distant planet and one of the was named “orccy”…_then_ it would be The Best Book Ever? Maybe?

Please, let’s have a moment of silence for the Death of Imagination…
j
(and welcome back, Miss J)

This Lord of the Flies stuff seems to be a bit of an argument provoker - lets change the subject. Does anybody have an opinion on the bible? :D

I was meant to read it in school, but it's one of the very few books I decided not to bother with!

Apparently it has some real floors and theres a great twiast at the end when the hero comes back to life. Sounds a bit far fetched to me - had a look through the sci-fi section at Watestones but they didnt have it!

jay said:
If _Lord of the Flies_ was a group of blue-skinned elvy things and they were trapped on a small, distant planet and one of the was named “orccy”…_then_ it would be The Best Book Ever? Maybe?
(Wrestling the conch back...) Depends if they all started eating each other or not. Now THAT'S great literature.

jay said:
Please, let’s have a moment of silence for the Death of Imagination…
j
(and welcome back, Miss J)
Why thank you. And if the fantasy annoys you so much, I guess I'll... just carry on reading it regardless.
To be faintly on topic, I think everyone should be required to read the Da Vinci Code, pencil in hand, then write 3000 words on precisely why they like it, correctly spelled and with perfect grammar. With any luck it will be too much effort for most people, and will put off children for life, so we won't have to suffer similar drivel in future.

Jennifer, who had to sit through a whole news report this morning on the filming of that dreadful movie at a nearby cathedral. Bleurgh.

David Frame said:
This Lord of the Flies stuff seems to be a bit of an argument provoker

Anything said half-assed can be provoking. Especially on a thread about (supposed) learning.

Does anybody have an opinion on the bible? :D

Horribly written, absurdly edited, much of it nicked from older texts and all and all pretty banal.
Best selling work of fiction every though.
But at least it’s printed on a flammable material…

Jennifer said:
(Wrestling the conch back...) Depends if they all started eating each other or not. Now THAT'S great literature.

No, no. In this tale it’s not a conch but a…Uranium Pew-36 Explosive Space modulator.
But yes, the Elvy tails. That would be a delicacy.

And if the fantasy annoys you so much, I guess I'll... just carry on reading it regardless.

Yes, certainly don’t stop on my account. I have faith you’ll abandon it at some point.
And needless to say, at this point, *already* you’re better read than a fair statistic of people.

To be faintly on topic, I think everyone should be required to read the Da Vinci Code, pencil in hand, then write 3000 words on precisely why they like it, correctly spelled and with perfect grammar. With any luck it will be too much effort for most people, and will put off children for life, so we won't have to suffer similar drivel in future.

Yes, this is what I was getting at before with Stephy King being taught. It’s just very obvious that people don’t know what the phuck “good” is or why the “love” things.

Jennifer, who had to sit through a whole news report this morning on the filming of that dreadful movie at a nearby cathedral. Bleurgh.

My sympathies. All I have to do is see a picture of Tom Hanks and I feel ill.
I’ll put the kettle on…
j

Jennifer said:
I think everyone should be required to read the Da Vinci Code, pencil in hand, then write 3000 words on precisely why they like it, correctly spelled and with perfect grammar.

I'd struggle to write even one word to say why like it just because I don't. ;)

Putting my neck on the line a little her but - I didn't like the Da Vinci Code but I quite liked Angels and Demons. Not to taxing and the plot wasn't bad.

Why do I feel as if I should be apologising for this admission.... :D

David Frame said:
Putting my neck on the line a little her but - I didn't like the Da Vinci Code but I quite liked Angels and Demons. Not to taxing and the plot wasn't bad.

don't apologize, just run. :D

jay said:
Horribly written, absurdly edited, much of it nicked from older texts and all and all pretty banal.
Best selling work of fiction every though.
But at least it’s printed on a flammable material…
Anyway, it's blatantly all copied from Tolkien. Bearded hero coming back from the dead? Previously angelic being becomes Dark Lord? Sheesh guys, get some originality.
jay said:
Yes, certainly don’t stop on my account. I have faith you’ll abandon it at some point.
And needless to say, at this point, *already* you’re better read than a fair statistic of people.
Maybe I will, maybe I won't. You might be surprised how well-written and intriguing fantasy can be. Or it's brain popcorn, one of the two. And thank you, I do try. Possibly from a megalomaniacal desire to know more than anyone else and thus take over the world. Blessed are the geeks, for they shall inherit the earth. With the possible exception of George Bush.

jay said:
Yes, this is what I was getting at before with Stephy King being taught. It’s just very obvious that people don’t know what the phuck “good” is or why the “love” things.
Exactly. Everyone is entitled to an opinion as long as they can argue with me about it, and have reasonably well-informed views. In fact, everyone should apply to me for an opinion before being granted one.

jay said:
My sympathies. All I have to do is see a picture of Tom Hanks and I feel ill.
I’ll put the kettle on…
j
The only consolation was an interview with a group of nuns who were protesting against the filming in "God's House" of a film which "goes against our sweet Lord". They were praying for the film to fail. I might have been tempted to join in.

Stewart said:
I'd struggle to write even one word to say why like it just because I don't.
Congratulations, you are an enlightened being. Next please!

David Frame said:

No need to apologise. Not many well read people give Da Code much, if any merit whatsoever. Jennifer was simply using a beloved modern day ‘classic’ [yes, I shuddered while calling it that] as example.
Basically, the kind of pap that would go on in school if the kids’ had a say.

-Funny how the brainwashing works in reverse there; _Of Mice and Men_, an established classic read and “loved” for generations, so the kids feel that it’s “forced” on them and, equating the literary equivalent to brussel sprouts. But a book gets mentioned on CNN and is “loved” by modern-day millions, and they follow suite.
(file under “Seriously Phucked Up ‘Logic’”)

Needless to say in professor Jennifer’s class the sane folks that don’t enjoy Da Code can write a paper on what they _didn’t_ “love” about it. Which has been one of my major points all along: one doesn’t have to “love” _Wuthering Heights_, but tell me (us, the teacher, whoemever) *why* you don’t “love” it.

And remember: always fear “recess”, because while you’re gone your president will come in and change the rules on you…
j

Jennifer said:
Maybe I will, maybe I won't. You might be surprised how well-written and intriguing fantasy can be.

Been there done that. When I was 10. Wasn’t impressive then.
You’ll have to pardon me for not being amazed that Ursela Le Guin can turn an adequate sentence every other novel.
But popcorn, yes. I got no problem with it when it’s labeled properly, but a gourmet, 5-course meal it aint.

The only consolation was an interview with a group of nuns who were protesting against the filming in "God's House" of a film which "goes against our sweet Lord". They were praying for the film to fail. I might have been tempted to join in.

Well, I don’t have Sony stock, so they’re not fraggin me up (I’m swearing a lot today…), but have these cloaked bints even read the book (no, not Da Code)?
gawd _certainly_ comes off more the “sour” type.

Today’s required reading: Kafka, “The Hunger Artist”. Written reports on my desk by Friday.
j

jay said:
Been there done that. When I was 10. Wasn’t impressive then.
You’ll have to pardon me for not being amazed that Ursela Le Guin can turn an adequate sentence every other novel.
But popcorn, yes. I got no problem with it when it’s labeled properly, but a gourmet, 5-course meal it aint.
Never read any Le Guin, so I'll have to take your word on that - I was thinking more along the George RR Martin, Michael Moorcock sort of line. While still not being gourmet, these might be considered microwave pasta.

jay said:
Well, I don’t have Sony stock, so they’re not fraggin me up (I’m swearing a lot today…), but have these cloaked bints even read the book (no, not Da Code)?
gawd _certainly_ comes off more the “sour” type.
I always think, if God is so vulnerable and paranoid as to want to keep bad films out and ban everyone from having thoughts of their own (actually, that last sounds like the Code...) then how's he supposed to be powerful enough to protect all his followers? No point sucking up to a weak deity.

jay said:
Today’s required reading: Kafka, “The Hunger Artist”. Written reports on my desk by Friday.
j
Hey, that's my job! For that, you are required to read the entire Wheel of Time series, and write a report without commenting once on the fact the author seems to be stretching out each book to make more money, until the final one will cover only five minutes of a day spread over 500 pages. And will be shite.

Jennifer said:
Never read any Le Guin, so I'll have to take your word on that - I was thinking more along the George RR Martin, Michael Moorcock sort of line. While still not being gourmet, these might be considered microwave pasta.

Nicely put.
I have no exp with GRRMartin but Moorcock I found to be a baffling bore (Elric, maybe? The albino, black sword wielding wanker…).

I always think, if God is so vulnerable and paranoid as to want to keep bad films out and ban everyone from having thoughts of their own (actually, that last sounds like the Code...) then how's he supposed to be powerful enough to protect all his followers? No point sucking up to a weak deity.

Yeah, I kinda think any religion that feels the need to ask their deity to do…’something’ about a stoopid film being made, but it’s ok that flakes like Bush are in power, a crisis like Niger, and child molestation by their brothers-in-cloak are ok…well, I have no words.

Hey, that's my job!

Sorry, I got all giddy with excitement that you’re back…

For that, you are required to read the entire Wheel of Time series, and write a report without commenting once on the fact the author seems to be stretching out each book to make more money, until the final one will cover only five minutes of a day spread over 500 pages. And will be shite.

Oi. Can’t I just write a 20 page report on how the book covers alone make me wish I were blind?
j

jay said:
Nicely put.
I have no exp with GRRMartin but Moorcock I found to be a baffling bore (Elric, maybe? The albino, black sword wielding wanker…).
Oh, you mean Elric the closet homosexual, the most annoying character ever?! Von Bek's cool though.
jay said:
Yeah, I kinda think any religion that feels the need to ask their deity to do…’something’ about a stoopid film being made, but it’s ok that flakes like Bush are in power, a crisis like Niger, and child molestation by their brothers-in-cloak are ok…well, I have no words.
Oh, those things are punishment for how sinful we all are, didn't you know?

jay said:
Sorry, I got all giddy with excitement that you’re back…
Quite understandable. I have that effect frequently.

jay said:
Oi. Can’t I just write a 20 page report on how the book covers alone make me wish I were blind?
j
Hmm. Maybe the covers are different where you are. I just have plain black. Do you have an aversion to black? Does a funeral send you rushing the the bathroom?

Jennifer said:
Hmm. Maybe the covers are different where you are. I just have plain black. Do you have an aversion to black? Does a funeral send you rushing the the bathroom?

Black’s ok.
My soul was free of such torment before, so I didn’t draw upon memory but simply typed “wheel of time series” into the googster and this came up.

http://www.tor.com/jordan/series.html

I didn’t even click on the thumbnails and I still wanna pull and Oedipus.
j

Back