• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What books have you hated?

I just finished A Seperate Peace by John Knowles and found it to be one the dullest books I have ever read. I found myself trying to finish the book quickly, not because I liked it, but because I wanted to just be done with the thing and move on to a better book.

I think all genre fiction is formulaic to some degree. Mysteries, fantasy, romance, westerns... all have certain types of characters, and certain plot features, that make them fit into their categories.

I don't read much mystery, but I do read a lot of fantasy. And I thought fantasy had a lot of repetative conventions. But when I tried reading some romance, I was shocked. At least in fantasy, some books use certain genre conventions, other books use a different mix of genre conventions, but the romance books all used most of the same major conventions.

ions said:
The Great Gatsby. Such a bore.

I agree, very dull, written in a flat manner. If it's repeated that a book is *great* long enough, people come to believe it. Hence the reputation of this book.

Shardik

SHARDIK: God I hated this book! And it was so frustrating because I wanted to like it sooo much (I'm a big Watership Down fan). Boring, boring, boring.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Thats a hard question to answer I have never read any books that I have hated.
Ofcourse if I ever read any romance or western novels I might hate them.

henrietta said:
Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones. I hated it for its accessible style posing as quality, its hokey/hook'em theme posing as controversial daring, and most of all for its atrocious ending, which was the most commercial piece of 'talk about me!' calculation I've ever seen in a novel. I hated myself for reading it afterwards.

I quite agree! What a boring book! Do we have a 'yawning' smiley? We sure need one!

drmjwdvm said:
SHARDIK: God I hated this book! And it was so frustrating because I wanted to like it sooo much (I'm a big Watership Down fan). Boring, boring, boring.:mad: :mad: :mad:

:eek: Really? This one is on my TBR list; I recently picked it up at a second had book store. I thorougly enjoyed Watership Down as well, so I figured I'd like Shardik.

Shardik

It may just be me. It is acclaimed as his Adam's best book. I just couldn't get excited about it and found it too slow, too long, too boring. If I were you I'd certainly give it a try though. As I said might just be me.

Tuesday's with Morrie I've just read it and thought it was dreadful.

I don't normally read books I hate including A Tale of Two Cities and Shakespeare's Henry the somenumber or other Which is why I failed English lit at school.:)

Anyway it was short and I'd read such great things about it. I finished it.

Did n'owt for me.

Black Light - Elizabeth Hand

The most pointlessly verbose book I've ever had the displeasure of reading,pages of description that added nothing to the book.

ugh

Cry the Beloved Country

The most god awful book I've ever read! It made me so angry! It was so inconsistent. It would go on for paragraphs about this beautiful countryside and give you false hope that this book could have some merit. Then the rest of the book would have no development. I wanted to kill myself. Had to read it for Winter break sophomore year. Grrrr evil.

Oh yes... they were relentless. And its' not that I probably wouldn't have gotten around to reading a book on break it was the fact that it was such a boring and rediculous book... i had to actually force myself to open it which goes completely against by belief on books. They should be insightful to YOU and meaningful to YOU. I can't begin to tell you how many times I put down a book not feeling fulfilled. But when its not up to you... that's just aggravating.

I wonder, sometimes, if reading lists for school hurt more than help. Sometimes I suspect that, due to school reading lists, I ended up looking at reading as more of a chore than a joy.

Atonement's author is Ian McEwan (I know I botched the spelling!) I haven't read that one, but I hated another book of his called Amsterdam.
However, I was persuaded to try Saturday, and thought it was pretty good.

Back