• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

what do you do?

lady.cordelia said:
sounds a bit like charlotte mason. i totally admire her philosophies and add that into my teaching, as well. have you been to amblesideonline?

I've poked around on various Charlotte Mason sites and like many ideas I've seen there. I guess I'm leaning more towards a combination of Tapestry of Grace/Cindy Rushton style..which should be interesting since I misplaced my TOG stuff I was going to use for US history this year-I think I sold it..so I'm torn between re-buying it or just using Rushton's methods more and relying on Greenleaf Press' catalog for book titles. All this is horribly off-topic, so maybe we should take this to pm..:D

Stewart said:
How about, if you have something to say then make sure it hasn't been said before. :mad:

If the old ones are inactive, who cares? If the new ones want they can add to it. If the current ones have changed then they are more than capable of saying so.

I do have a question that relates to this. Is it fine then, to resurrect old threads? Because in the past I have particapted in forums where that's frowned upon. It seems here that everyone is fine with new people searching out and posting in really old threads - am I correct in assuming that? :) Thanks.

...and since this is a 'what do you do' thread - I'm a back office administrator in an investment office. Thrilling job. :rolleyes: :)

Mattyj said:
I do have a question that relates to this. Is it fine then, to resurrect old threads? Because in the past I have particapted in forums where that's frowned upon. It seems here that everyone is fine with new people searching out and posting in really old threads - am I correct in assuming that? :) Thanks.

...and since this is a 'what do you do' thread - I'm a back office administrator in an investment office. Thrilling job. :rolleyes: :)

Resurrecting old threads is a well-respected(well, mostly) tradition around here. The trick is to do a search for your topic to see if there IS a thread already. It takes a little while to figure that out...I've been here over a year and didn't know about the earlier thread on occupations. Since LC's title is different, a quick search might not have found it. Hard to say.

Personally, I like not having to wade through 7 pages of posts with threads like this. With the book discussion threads, yes I think there's merit in finding an old thread, but with things like this? I don't personally mind that there's two that were started a year apart.

erm..you do know I was being sarcastic I hope. I am always sarcastic, if there's ever any doubt.

tundra said:
erm..you do know I was being sarcastic I hope. I am always sarcastic, if there's ever any doubt.
of course! with the purple and blue and with the shhhhh . . . just playing along.

my husband has the dryest sense of humor and i love it. and i tend to be a bit sassy or some may say saucy! ;)

abecedarian said:
Resurrecting old threads is a well-respected(well, mostly) tradition around here. The trick is to do a search for your topic to see if there IS a thread already. It takes a little while to figure that out...I've been here over a year and didn't know about the earlier thread on occupations. Since LC's title is different, a quick search might not have found it. Hard to say.

Thanks for clarifying :)

I'm in my last year of high school (I graduate in December) and work part-time at a fish 'n chip shop. I was planning to go to medical school, but about a month ago I won a full 3-year scholarship to a different university (worth about $15000). It was too good to pass up, so now I think I may do psychology.

MonkeyCatcher said:
about a month ago I won a full 3-year scholarship to a different university (worth about $15000). It was too good to pass up, so now I think I may do psychology.

WOW, congratulations on the scholarship!!!! Way to go!

MC, I think you'll adore psychology. Congrats (again) on that scholarship! And don't give up the fiction. :D

MonkeyCatcher said:
I'm in my last year of high school (I graduate in December) and work part-time at a fish 'n chip shop. I was planning to go to medical school, but about a month ago I won a full 3-year scholarship to a different university (worth about $15000). It was too good to pass up, so now I think I may do psychology.

Congratulations, MC. I know you will excel in whatever you end up doing. Also, we could use a good psychologist around here. :)

StillILearn said:
steffee -- you find the most amazing avatars.
Your avatar is also kinda neat. Sofia and Steffee usually have nice avatars. And Poppy's new avatar is very nice.

MC, congrats on the scholarship. I am sure you will do well. BTW, the woman that is buying our house is a Doctor of Psychology. She has a private practice and also teaches at UVA.

Thank you for the kind words :)

LC - No, unfortunately they don't have a pre-med course there as the other University that did (Otago University) would not allow it to happen. Bums in seats and all that :rolleyes:

Steffee - It was you who actually helped me to make my decision to do psychology - I knew that you really enjoyed it and your discussions regarding it have always been so interesting. I've always been curious as to why people behave the way they do, so I think that psychology is something that I would love to do even as a career.

MonkeyCatcher said:
Steffee - It was you who actually helped me to make my decision to do psychology - I knew that you really enjoyed it and your discussions regarding it have always been so interesting. I've always been curious as to why people behave the way they do, so I think that psychology is something that I would love to do even as a career.
Oh wow, MC, I feel very honoured. There is way, way more interesting discussions to be had, than those I have had on these forums though, so prepare to be, er, thrilled, or something. :D

Why people behave the way they do, though. Endlessly fascinating, I agree. :cool:

Muggle and Still: aww, bless ya. I love both of your avatars at the moment, too. So very colourful! :D

Back