• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you use as a bookmark?

Marie

kickbox
I think that a nice bookmark adds to the pleasure of reading. But since I'd hate to spend money on a bookmark, I make my own, with scraps of colored and textured paper, autumn leaves, etc.

I was wondering what everybody else use as a bookmark? Do some of you simply fold the corner of the page ?

Very creative, Marie ;)

I never have a shortage of bookmarks. I seem to have accumulated quite a drawer full over the years. They range from home-made ones given to me by my sons to Disney souvenir ones to the freebies you get from the bookstore when you buy a new book.

As for folding the corner of the page - NO, NO, NO :(

This is a real bone of contention with my dh. He seems to think it's ok to not only fold corners, but to bend the covers all the way back and I want to keep my books in as pristine condition as possible. He thinks I'm being picky, I think he's being careless LOL!

Originally posted by Marie
Do some of you simply fold the corner of the page ?
:eek: :( just don't do it ...... !

I mostly use any old bit of paper (often a Post-It folded over so the sticky bit is covered). Occasionally it's a bit of card just smaller than a page in size so that I have something to make notes on. This is because of my awful memory for character & place names especially if set in a foreign (to me) culture etc.

Like Ell, I like to keep my books as pristine as pos. I always keep them in a plastic bag of some sort to save them getting all dog-eared. Best are the bags you get from bookstores because they're ...... well ........ book-shaped :)

Dave B.

I hate folded pages. A couple of years ago I recieved an old $1 silver certificate in change at the food store. for those non-Americans, that is what the label used to say at the top of a dollare bill. It is from 1934. that is what I have used as a bookmark ever since.

Mike

guilty page folder

I risk the wrath of all by admitting this, I'm sure. I do fold the page over (paperbacks only, NEVER hardcover). To my partial credit, I do feel guilty about it every time. I only do this if I can't find a bookmark, slip of paper, grocery receipt, post it note, etc. Now that I've bared my soul, I hope the court will have pity on me.

:(

Heretic!! :D

I used to use scraps of paper, or post-it notes (folded in half). Now I've got a couple of bookmarks that I picked up free in bookshops.

I don't like those brass bookmarks that clip on to the page - always seem to damage the pages. The leather-type thick ones seem a bit too thick for paperbacks.

I'm glad I'm not alone in being fussy about my books, even the paperbacks. I try to avoid bending them too far back so as not to get those creases down the spine that paperbacks are so prone too. With hardbacks I remove the dust jacket so it doesn't get damaged whilst I'm reading.

Darren.

Confessions of an ex-page folder

Don't worry Dawn, I used to be a page folder too:)

Until once, about 10 years ago, I was staying at a friend's and borrowed one of her mother's books (for my defense, it was an old paperback) and she caught me folding the corner of the page.:eek:

She didn't get mad (she's the easygoing type) but she came back with a piece of paper for me to use as a bookmark...

Never folded a corner since (at least other people's books, and in the rare cases I did it with mine, when nothing that could be used as a bookmark was in sight, I always felt guilty...)

Marie

So the court is divided I see. :D

I'm glad I'm not alone in being fussy about my books, even the paperbacks. I try to avoid bending them too far back so as not to get those creases down the spine that paperbacks are so prone too.

My 10 year-old is extremely fussy about his books. (I guess he didn't get it from me) He hates it when his 12 year-old brother borrows his books, especially his paperbacks, because he says his brother "opens them too far" thus ruining the binding of the book in his opinion. I was impressed that he has such regard for his books. I guess I passed on my love of reading, but not my corner folding habits.

I've never folded a corner - ever. ;)

I used to just remember the page number, but I got too lazy I guess, so now I use all sorts of papers and other stuff as bookmarks. Paper money, toilet paper, credit cards, post cards, letters, photographs,... they've all seen the inside of my books.

The receipt from the bookstore works good and often lasts until that last book is read. (Unless its a particularly large batch of new books.) Otherwise I agree with lies--anything that's flat paper-like and handy will do.

I was actually discussing this very thing with someone earlier... I absolutely hate hate hate it when people fold back the pages of a book... what's that line from the movie, Finding Forrester, about that being the biggest insult you can give the author? Or something like that. :)

I usually use just some small piece of paper or some bookmark I've bought. I don't like the ones that clamp down on the pages or the thick ones..

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is so picky about her books though.. I like to keep them in good shape. :)

I really hate folded pages, so much so that I will refuse to lend out books to somone that has returned one with either folded pages or spines. Lending out books is something I rarely do anyway as I really like to take care of them :)

For bookmarks I tend to use what ever is at hand, post it notes (great because they dont fall out), index cards etc.

I used to always use dollar banknote that I had after a trip but i cant seem to find it anywhere at the moment and dont really fancy going through every book on the shelves until i find it.

Usually I just rip off a small chunk of a piece of paper, which I usually loose between reading and have to tear a new piece.

I print up my own bookmarks and leave them in the book for when I give them away. As a double precaution, I also memorise the page number as there are young visitors to the house that like pulling the bookmarks out..."here's your book thing, Poppa".
I never fold the corners, nor do I leave the book open face down. It spoils the book for me.

I have to agree with most of the above. I cannot stand folded corners, nor books that have been opened too far and the back has gone all wrinkly :( . Usually I pick up whatever is within reach (sometimes you just have to be happy if there is anything within reach at all). For a long time I used a plastic one with the lyrics of Amazing Grace on them. But I "accidently" lost that one I think.

I have two bookmarks. One is the sewing bookmark with my name on that someone made it for me. Other one - it said ' I love books' on the bookmark. It looks great!! I bought it from my friend who sell the bookmarks. I prefer bookmark because I like to play with it!!

Re: Confessions of an ex-page folder

Originally posted by Marie
Until once, about 10 years ago, I was staying at a friend's and borrowed one of her mother's books (for my defense, it was an old paperback) and she caught me folding the corner of the page.:eek:
She didn't get mad (she's the easygoing type) but she came back with a piece of paper for me to use as a bookmark...

Never folded a corner since
:eek: lol.. it was reverse for me.. my best friend folders corners when she reads books & I have to nicely give her heck to get her to not do that to my books please!:D lol

I have a bag full of bookmarks.. most were gifts with a book. But I don't want to lose them lol.. so I usually use a folded peice of paper, or the receipt from buying the book... anything but one of my beloved bookmarks! lol

Tried that once Feanor, and I'll tell you what...you'd be surprised at how far a two year old can flip a book thats been left open like that.

Now its a bookmark and a rubberband if I leave it out. Everything else is behind the endtables.

I did have a beautiful bookmark but since losing it I tend to turn the corners of the pages. On most modern paperbacks this has little effect. I tend to keep my books crammed into a bookshelf so they are compressed back into shape. On hardcovers I never turn back the pages, nor on the better quality paperbacks. This is because it tends to leave a line there for all eternity and may even damage the print.
However, with the rubbish quality cellulose used on most books today you'll find little harm in turning back the page, I promise.
Now on to more serious things... People who bend back spines... Should be taken out and shot. This makes it so every time you go back to the book it always falls open to the same page, and I end up hating it on sight. MUCH WORSE, it makes the book lose pages!
So listen up you morons who turn crack the spines, you are killing the book for your future use or anyone elses. And I want to particularly berate you for ruining the book I was stupid enough to lend you. Not only that, but I'm guessing I was lucky to get it back.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Back