• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What fiction book do you keep reading over and over?

The only book I have ever reread is "North Dallas 40" by Peter Gent. It's been years since I have read it, so I'm due to re-visit it.

Here's what I like to read over and over again:
Harry Potter, all of them.
The Hobbit (once a year).
The Lord of the Rings (once a year).
Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series, there is 19 books so far.
Dan Brown: The Da Vinci Code.
The books of Chris Ryan.

Yours Sincerly

Medic_dk

Carlos said:
What are they like, I've seen these around a lot but never read them.

They are really cool.

You follow Richard Sharpe from he's a private in the English army during the Napoleonic wars, it starts in 1799 at the Siege of Seringapatam and then it just goes from there, you see how he rises grade by grade without having to pay for it.

He gets himself into all kinds of trouble and he loves women and he is just so tough, together with his best friend Sergent Harper he shapes the rifles into a special unit.

There is made a serie of Sharpe with Sean Bean as Sharpe and it's is really good as well, there is 14 episodes and if you like history and army history it's something to watch.

Bernard Cornwell have made thorough research for all the books and that's what makes them so good and exciting.

Yours Sincerly

Medic_dk

The Hitchhikers Guide
Quite a few Pratchett novels
Watership Down

In fact I find it quite easy to re-read a book just as I do re-watching a film.

I read "Gone With the Wind" 11 times before I was 17 years old. Then I was done, and haven't read it since.

I pick up "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" every few years or so.

I read a lot of poetry, and I read quite a few poems over and over. It probably works the same way as listening to songs over and over.

But ok, here's a confession: I've never stopped rereading Dr. Seuss. When it comes to his books, I'll be a child forever!

I re-read these books /a lot/ before I came on here. Now I have a TBR list a mile long so I don't have much time for re-reading..

All Roald Dahl books. I adore them :D
The Harry Potter series
The Hobbit

~MonkeyCatcher~

It's interesting, it seems to me like people reread for one of two reasons: 1) to come back to a "comfort" book and relive the happiness you first found in it and that you continue to find; or 2) to rediscover a complicated work and uncover the many complexities/layers/things missed the first time. Are these two kinds of people or just two different reasons? Thoughts?

I'm normally a "comfort" rereader myself. So I go for Harry Potter, Dave Barry, and the Belgariad. In high school it used to be The Stand (weird, huh?) or the Dark Tower books.

I don't think I've ever re-read a book! What's the point if you already know how it's going to turn out? There are so many new stories I want to read.

Colour of Magic - to remind me of why I was hooked by TP's laconic wit and lateral thinking.

Hitchhikers Guide - in order to compare with the first film, then again ditto with the 2005 film.

Wind in the Willows and The Hobbit as bedtime reading to my eldest child, then again cos we had another kid.

Tibor Fischer's The Thought Gang for the sheer joy of the words in there and the laughing out loud I still do when I reread.

I don't reread anything else. Yet.

Geoff

I often re-read, there is always something new to find in a good book.

My "comfort" re-reads used to be the Narnia books when I was a child, now I always enjoy "Three Men In a Boat" which never fails to make me laugh. I also love "Diary of a Nobody" which is also always funny.

krmchl said:
I don't think I've ever re-read a book! What's the point if you already know how it's going to turn out? There are so many new stories I want to read.

I think you miss things the first go-around. The first reading is for me to be told a story. The second reading is to savor the words. Oftentimes the first reading goes so quickly I miss things, and the second reading gives me insights I wouldn't have had otherwise. If a book is great, you see something different every single time you read it.

Some books really transport me, and some books contain characters I've come to love. There are times when I just want to go back to that place and experience it again, or see those people again, or feel the things the book made me feel. A second reading shouldn't really diminish the feelings you felt the first time - not if the book is well-written.

If a book is great, it almost requires a second reading in my opinion. Knowing how it turns out isn't the issue. To me it's like spending time with old friends, or revisiting a vacation spot that has fond memories for me.

Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants...The first one. I have read it like 7 times.
I have mind re-read a few books. I am constantly thinking about it and plan to read it again. Mainly Derailed, by James Siegel. I LOVED it.
Lani

A few years ago I started a horrible "choose your own adventure" book, and on the final page it didn't leave you a choice, but read "Go to page 1". So for two years now I've been reading this damn book over and over again.

Back