• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

what is it about garfield?

piedro

a recent post got me thinking... what is it about Garfield that makes us forget that he is a good-for-nought , lazy , evil , selfish , troublesome creature and makes us wish that we owned the cat?

is it the cute animation? i dont think so because the original face of Garf was hideous to say the least but he was still immensely popular

the wisecracks? the urge to identify ourselves with the mischievous animal?

but isnt it true that we are often just taken in by books? i am sure that the most evil man on earth (need not be SillyWabbit ;) :eek: ) will identify himself with the hero of a well presented book which would be contrary to his character wont it?

I'm not sure, but with Garfield he seems almost true to cat nature. Cats are often seen as aloof, rude, and demanding.

I've never really been drawn in by an evil character, but I identify more readily with animals than humans.

Good question, Piedro. I've always been a huge fan of Garfield, and I think it's because of the wisecracks, as you said. We'd all like to be him, I guess, just sleeping and goofing of all day (wait a minute, that's what I do now).

Anyway, there's an upcoming film about Garfield, and I'll give you the link to the trailer.

Low resolution
Medium resolution
High resolution

(Sidenote: When I tried to watch the trailer, it prompted me to download a "Quick Time Installer". I just clicked 'no' and the trailer worked fine.)

I'm not too sure what to think of it. Any comments?

Cheers, Martin :D

Seems fun, captures the spirit of the comic, or at least as much as a movie can. But that dog looks nothing like Odie.

You got a problem with the Garfield?? :mad:

Besides, he's not evil, just a bit misunderstood, thats all ;)

Phil

Read, Phil, read.

I love Garfield. Just dunno what to make of the live-action film.

I think we learned from Scooby Doo and Flintstones that live action cartoons are utter pants!!! Watching the trailer may scar him for life!

OH!!!! THE HUMANITY!!!!!! Will they never learn????????

My two carrots worth! I like Garfield too!!!! My fave comic strip character, though, has to be Calvin and Hobbes :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

I also like garfield and, as has been mentioned before, his character reflects that of a cat quite well. Cats are independent and slothful, and hungry, and selfish.

That trailer looks absolutely terrible. The only movie I'm waiting for this year is Jeux d'enfants.

And yes, Calvin and Hobbes beat all others hands down :)

Mxx

phew - that's okay then. That's going to be the best thing since Mars Attacks...or something else as bad.

Mxx

Query: Why is calling something "pants" derogatory?
Query 2: Did that trailer make any more sense if you understand French?

Answer one: Dunno. It just is. It's a British thing, I guess.
Answer two: I imagine so. I certainly hope so.

sorry - couldn't find one with English subtitles :( It's from the same director as Amelie (Yann Samuel = Jean-Pierre Jeunet) and the boy and girl in the clip dare each other to do different things, whenever they pass that box to each other. To start with, when they are young, these dares are innocent enough, but they get more and more serious as they get older and their emotions for each other show more. Think Amelie with a dark side :)

Mxx

Back