• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What is your fave "children's" lit?

Wabbit

I think the best one that I have read is Chronicles of Narnia :) I have such good warm memories of these books! They are so enchanting and magical... at least that's how I remember them! lol I wonder if I read them now it would be the same :) They are books that I keep meaning to get around to reading!

Narnia's on my list for a re-read. I really like Roald Dahl's works. And am very impress with Phillip Pullman's Golden Compass, although I didn't get to read it as a kiddo.

Biggles! Though my real favourite would probably be His Dark Materials, with the Edge Chronicles coming a quite-close-but-not-very 2nd

I have fond memories of Lloyd Alexander's books. The Black Cauldron and that rest of that series. I also remember eagerly reading all of the Little House on the Prairie books, too.

Narnia's still on top

I've just read "The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe" to my six year old. It brought back all the enjoyment it gave me as a ten year old when I first started reading to myself. I'm not sure who enjoyed it the most but we'll soon be starting on "The Magicians Nephew." I must have read them all about three or four times between the ages of ten and thirteen.

Ashlea said:
And am very impress with Phillip Pullman's Golden Compass, although I didn't get to read it as a kiddo.

My son's girlfriend has a daughter that's almost 4. I bought Pullman's trilogy last week with her in mind. At what age do you think she should be, Ash(or anyone else), before she's able to appreciate it?

Thanks,
RaVeN

RaVeN said:
My son's girlfriend has a daughter that's almost 4. I bought Pullman's trilogy last week with her in mind. At what age do you think she should be, Ash(or anyone else), before she's able to appreciate it?

Thanks,
RaVeN

Part of what impresses me about this book is that scary things aren't sugar coated. I'd say about the same age as would appreciate Harry Potter.

I've one - The Thief of Always by Clive Barker. I didn't read this while I was a kid either, but would've been fun to speculate how I would have liked the book had I read it then.

ds

I loved the Harper Hall series by Anne McCaffrey. Of course, those three books led me to her other dragonrider books, which became my favorite of all time.

blueboatdriver said:
I've just read "The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe" to my six year old. It brought back all the enjoyment it gave me as a ten year old when I first started reading to myself. I'm not sure who enjoyed it the most but we'll soon be starting on "The Magicians Nephew." I must have read them all about three or four times between the ages of ten and thirteen.

That's great! :)

I thought of another that I really like a lot. I didn't read it as a kid but read it later. I read the whole thing in one sitting! Not hard to do since it's a slim book. It's The Secret Garden :)

I used to love the Nancy Drew mysteries, as well. Perhaps not the best written books in the world, but a spunky lass who got to do cool things. :)

As a child, I suppose my favourite books were the Jinny at Finmory series about a girl and her Arab horse, and Enid Blyton's Mallory Towers series (boarding school goings-on). As an adult reading children's lit, I have many favourites at the moment, including Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials, Harry Potter, Philip Reeve, Mary Hoffman and Lian Hearn (though some of these are more teenage, I suspect). :)

Raven, depending on the maturity and reading skills of the child, in my opinion they need to be at least 11 to properly read Pullman's His Dark Materials.

I wonder, is The Hobbit considered a children's book? Would you consider it so? For me, I wouldn't really say it's a especially a kids book. :confused:

Reading as an adult, for me it's a toss up between:

Northern Lights (aka Golden Compass outside the UK), though it's more of a teen's book rather than a younger child's read.
Winnie the Pooh
Wind in the Willows - especially the lovable Mr Toad

When I was younger, I did enjoy the Narnia books, but I found them a tad preachy when I reread them 2 years ago. Treasure Island has a fantastic buildup, but it ends a little too quickly.

Ah yeah!!!! Wind in the Willows :) Another great book!

You know, I never considered Treasure Island a children's book :)

I couldn't stand Wind in the Willows. I still remember it... I forced myself through 108 pages before I finally gave up on it.

Treasure Island's a great book. I still love it!

You may be right, Wabbit. The Hobbit might be a touch mature for a kid. I remember it scared the living daylights out of me when I read it when I was 17. But then again, he did write it with his son in mind.

Halo said:
Raven, depending on the maturity and reading skills of the child, in my opinion they need to be at least 11 to properly read Pullman's His Dark Materials.

My thanks to you, Ash, & fluffy bunny for your insight. It looks like I'll put those books back for a few years.

RaVeN

As a child my favourites were:

Enid Blyton (Famous Five, Malory Towers etc)
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Wind in the Willows
The Hardy Boys
The Black Stallion
Nicholas and the Buccaneers
:cool:

As an adult the only childrens fiction I have read recently is Harry Potter, though we do have Philip Pulmans series around somewhere which I'll get round to reading at some point.

Back